Sign in to follow this  
hirenmistry

Looking to buy a used car around 3.75L - need help

Hi folks,

First post on this forum. My name is Hiren and I reside in Mumbai.

I am about to buy my first car and am looking at your advice.

I will soon be joining another company and they are offering me a car upto 3.75L. In this price I will not be able to get a brand new decent car that is fun to drive as well, so I am exploring the used car option.

In this range I can get a 2005/2006 Swift VXi or 5+ years old Honda City; Vtec if I am lucky. The City (old shape) has been a long time favorite car of mine.

So my question is, considering that the old shape city is no more in production, buying a city a good option? Or should I stick to the Swift (which is also a very good car). My heart says City and mind says Swift. smiley4.gif

Maintainence costs would also be lower for the Swift, so thats one more thing going for it.

I've burnt my fingers when we had bought a used Esteem for the family many years ago smiley18.gif. My other query is from where do I buy my new (used) car smiley9.gif. Are First choice cars reliable? I should mebbe even look at True Value (or something of that sort) from MAruti.

Apologies for the rather long post and again do excuse me if this has been discussed earlier, I tried searching but could not find anything.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,

Hiren

I would say go for Swift. Getting an old City in decent shape will be quite a challenge. There are lots of mods for the Swift to make it go quicker. First choice and True value are more expensive than general used car market but the cars are properly checked out

I would suggest swift from the options you have given. You have a good chanc of getting a fairly new car that has not run much.

truevalue cars are more expensive but they do provide you a 1 year waraanty and 3 free service. (Both the cars i bought were from true value but in bangalore)

Lots of Mumbaikars in this forum. They can also probably help you find a good car through known channels. You can defn get it cheaper than true value or firstchoice

Firstly I feel that any car howsoever good does start giving niggling problems after 5 years or 50,000km.

As for True Value/First Choice you pay your money and take your choice. I would not, since the premium you pay for the detailing is too high in my opinion. 

Nothing to beat an honest used car directly from the owner. A few minutes talk will tell you if he is lying. The engine / transmission / suspension can be quickly checked. If fact today you can assume that the engine and gearbox are good for at lest 150,000km. Note that I have not included the clutch in this. You will save ay least 20% by going directly to the owner. If you look the other way unless someone sells you a lemon 20% (say 70,000) is a lot of wrong which can be set right! Avoid most Car Bazaars!

I often find a high mileage, but relatively new car (not a taxi!) is an excellent VFM. The reason is that the owner depends on it and maintains it well. Also, check if the Car Rental guys are selling some of their cars. They often sell them after a very short span. Aborad this is the main source of their income, the bulk discounts they get from the manufacturers are mind boggling.  Also, often you may find good repossessed cars from the car finance guys.

Thanks 325i and Rajeev, I will have a look at these dealerships and what they have over the weekend.

Modding the car to go a bit faster is the reason why I was looking at the City and the Swift. I quite like the backlights in the dashboard of the new swift. I wonder if these could be fitted in an older swift.

Much appreciated.

Firstly I feel that any car howsoever good does start giving niggling problems after 5 years or 50' date='000km.

As for True Value/First Choice you pay your money and take your choice. I would not, since the premium you pay for the detailing is too high in my opinion. 

Nothing to beat an honest used car directly from the owner. A few minutes talk will tell you if he is lying. The engine / transmission / suspension can be quickly checked. If fact today you can assume that the engine and gearbox are good for at lest 150,000km. Note that I have not included the clutch in this. You will save ay least 20% by going directly to the owner. If you look the other way unless someone sells you a lemon 20% (say 70,000) is a lot of wrong which can be set right! Avoid most Car Bazaars!

I often find a high mileage, but relatively new car (not a taxi!) is an excellent VFM. The reason is that the owner depends on it and maintains it well. Also, check if the Car Rental guys are selling some of their cars. They often sell them after a very short span. Aborad this is the main source of their income, the bulk discounts they get from the manufacturers are mind boggling.  Also, often you may find good repossessed cars from the car finance guys.
[/quote']

I totally agree with you. I've experienced it the hard way hence I want to buy a car that is not older than 3 years.

I really dont know the price differential between a private cars and car bazaars but 20% is a huge difference. I need to do a lot of hunting around. I need to make sure the car is in good shape as I plan to keep the car for atleast 3 years.

Thanks for the help. I will keep the forum update on my progress.

Cheers

I think you can get a new spark also at around 4. Of course another option is take the 3.75 the company gives add some money of your own and go for a new car.

I am not too keen on the Spark but I dont mind looking at the Chevy Aveo U-Va.

I dont mind adding a bit of my own money but I am a bit tight nowadays as I've purchased a house this month. smiley11.gif

Hiren

Agree that Swift and Old city are good options but at 3.75lacs if you are lucky you will end up getting a Accent Crdi ..fix a Petes kit and you have a monster at hand an u can touch 180-190kmph on that ...u get a city mileage of 12kmpl and a highway of 17+   unless you are doin a 180kmph ..he he ..and all that from a diesel car which will be lite on your poket too ...Swift is no match ....

Don't go fot the old city because its not eay to find a good shape one . Go for the Swift vxi you can get that now . Also by adding 50k or so you can find a lower spec Corolla .

Agree that Swift and Old city are good options but at 3.75lacs if you are lucky you will end up getting a Accent Crdi ..fix a Petes kit and you have a monster at hand an u can touch 180-190kmph on that ...u get a city mileage of 12kmpl and a highway of 17+   unless you are doin a 180kmph ..he he ..and all that from a diesel car which will be lite on your poket too ...Swift is no match ....

I am not too keen on a diesel as my running would be very limited...

Never been a fan of the Accent but will keep my eyes peeled for one.

Thanks for the tip.

Don't go fot the old city because its not eay to find a good shape one . Go for the Swift vxi you can get that now . Also by adding 50k or so you can find a lower spec Corolla .

Did some hunting over the weekend, saw a decently maintained City Vtec (2002) for around 3.85L and a 2006 Swift VXi for 3.8L.

I've eliminated the City from my list primarily as it will already be 6+ years old and I aim to keep to the car for another 4 odd years.

A Corolla for around 4L?? Wow thats really cheap, but then these cars will be cheap to buy and expensive to maintain. With the EMI's for the house starting, I can ill afford to spend much on the car, at least not for another 6 months or so.

Ok then try the cat bumpered city GXi .. See if you want to spend less on maintainance try to find a 05 Zen . If you still don't find any option then go for the Swift .Try to lower the price down by 15k and get yourself alloys and wider tyres for 25k . = 4lakhs .