Kinshuk

1988 Maruti 800 Engine

Hi,

I have an old 1988 model Maruti 'DX', its now being used by my mom and a drived drives it around but today I thought of giving it a try...which is why Im writing this post....

Though milage is low (read: very very low) nothing has been overhauled...just routine services, silencer drum, tyres and bushes changed...even the paint is orginal Bayer's Blue! It looks better than some of the new ones around...anyhow coming to the point...

Can a new MPFI unit be put in it? Or would it be better to get a simple engine overhaul?

(not looking for mods, even if possible on a 0.8Ltr engine!!)

(I also have a 1976 Fiat which im planning to restore...and will post as and when plans materialise!)

Putting MPFI would probably mean changing everything but for the block.

If the car has done about or more than 80,000km, then check out the compression, and if Ok, get a decoke. Overhaul the carb (changing the jets if not done in the past) and you should be Ok. If you add an electronic ignition you will be back to near normal.

Well you have lots of choices try a good 2001 800 and put its engine to yours MPFi done .Well before doing some restoring or overhall ob strip the plastics and dash and see if body panels are in good shape then only you can go furthur.

Tks ppl for ur response...

As of today it has clocked just 42593.8kms...its a first owner car so im sure of the kms on it!

I'll see if a thorough engine cleanup can get the job done...though it heats up pretty quick, but there's no knocking..just wondering what might be wrong before I visit the workshop...

Bodies of all our cars are generally in good condition as they are parked in an enclosed area and maintained well... most have no highway travel on them...this one in particular has just a few dings which driver driven cars have on the sides...nothing major. (keeping in mind the time spent in keeping them in almost mint condition...think Im entitiled to brag a bit !!!)

With under 43k under the hood engine wear is unlikely. My order of priority will be

1. Make sure you usr good petrol.

2. Get the carb overhauled, and check/replace the jets..

3. Check compression and get a decoke. Compression check is such a small issue that it should add very little to the cost.

FRG, Roomy : please comment!

The fuel seems ok as all other cars we have also use the same pump and they're fine...this is a carburetted car though (besides the Fiat Delite which isnt having any problem whatsoever!)...

Just going off topic....and probably a bit nostalgic....when I switch from any modern car (Hondas in my case) to either a Maruti or Fiat...I always find the Fiat easier and fun to drive than the Maruti! Love the smooth gears and accleration in the old Fiat...she can still touch 80-90kph easily..no rattles, vibrations! Mayb coz I grew-up with her as a daily use car and I learnt to drive with her...have a soft spot for her!!! (Lol i wasnt allowed to drive the NE 118 & 800!!)....

Nice to hear about the Bayers Blue 800 of yours. I too have a 1987 Maruti 800 Std, which is very close to my heart. Its clocked 64 K on the odo and has the original white paint. Its been giving me trouble free performance even in its 21st year. The car is very, very basic and can be parked anywhere, in a parking place for  two scooters. The car is frail. The only problem I face is honking by the faster cars on the streets, that want to overtake you all the while to perhaps prove that they are more muscular.

sonycamv196me5.jpg

loading.gif

Its time to get the fuel system checked. Also check and clean the radiator if required and check for proper functioning of the fan.

Like sgiitk said, the mileage is too less for engine wear. Does the clutch feel fine?

FRG

The cooling system was recently cleaned up right from the h2o pump to the radiator...which is a routine for April each year.

I dont use this car on a regular basis, last time I did...it appeared to be normal! nehow, will get this checked too!!

It also might be due to the low lead in the fuel = friction!

3-4kms and the car heats up well beyond the mid level mark...im having it sent to MASS this Saturday for a decoke n compression check....let see what they suggest!

dis is a regular problem wid most 800s which have lived their age, firstly chek the rpm of ur fan,the thermostat valve, and if it still persists,i.e not ur temp guage goin high but if she also knocks while the guage goes high try changin ur rings, but again first make sure that ur is workin right, and u havent specified if she heats up only wid d a/c on or what,, also dont forget to chek timing wid a proper timing light

Usually the A.C is on!

There are a lot of possibilities...dats y im havin it sent to a workshop for a proper check-up...timing is a remote possibility as we had it tuned recently! Fan could be the culprit!