santoshrajkumar

Maruti 800: A first car

The Maruti 800 has been around for about two decades and the design has become outdated as a result, with too many boxy straight lines, despite efforts to hide its age with as many cosmetic jobs and facelifts as Pamela Anderson. But when it arrived, it literally took over the Indian automobile market with a mix of affordability, efficiency and easy to drive USPs compared to the ancient designs of the Ambassadors and Fiats that the Indian consumer had to put up with. But the 800 is still going strong though its market share has been overtaken by the more modern Alto.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Contrary to popular belief, the 800 is not a boring car by any means; the steering is light yet sends fairly precise inputs to your hands. One can chuck it into second and flick it around a corner though the skinny tyres and pronounced body roll limit any real Alonso-like driving. But since most of the buyers of this car are previous people wanting to move up into the car segment, they most likely won

Having just driven the 800 after so many years. I still like driving this car, the noise though irritating brought back many fond memories. Sure cost cutting has had its toll with the new 800 feeling a lot cheaper than older models, but it still retains its charm of a no nonsense, cheap to own small car.

FRG

I have a 15 yr. old 800, & its my favourate still. No other car can come close to it on car / re.

It has spoilt me for choice & I find the driving position fantastic.

Im not so satisfied with cars, even 5 times its value.

This was a car made for Indian people and it still holds that spot. I also own a 800 and loves to drive it very much smiley4.gif

Now Nano is eying to create the same impact but I am skeptical if it would be able to do that. Kudos to MSIL for developing such a gem for Indian masses which changed the way India drives smiley20.gif

I hope MSIL has no future plans to kill this car. The casts used to make this car are now fully depreciated in books of Maruti, thus costing them even less to produce it..... so they should keep it alive by adding some more features to it or a price reduction comaprable to what they have done with Alto 3 years back.

smiley20.gifI also own a 800 Dx 2003 model ..which came with refreshed grill..new instrument cluster ..etc..etc. ......i have other cars too.......but this one is actually my personal one.......... i like driving it alot ..n have added some accsories also.......No not like those which make car look ugly..smiley36.gif....hav added some accseories like Wooden finish.,sony Xplod music system ,console with cupholders (thats the bad thing that 800 dx does'nt comes even fitted with acc. like console cupholders and rear parcel tray)........if possible will also send pics.....smiley17.gif 

well how can i forget the car in which i learned how to drive the car...i really miss my old 800....the car had amazing fuel efficiency....even after my car had more than 1,30,000 clicks on the odo the car still gave 10-11 kmpl wich is quiet decent for the engine done so many km's !!!!

Even i learned driving in M800 and was fun to drive car....I liked it really ...we had lot of trips in that...i have owned 2 M800's and one used omni before the two with which the experience was bad...then Santro(oh my fav. car),Honda city,Getz and Spark...

the logic is very simple. when paying for expensive cars we expect an exceptional performance(desiring almost everything) whereas while buying 800 you don't expect anything, its the car that gives you suprises with its tension free drive!

800 rocks!

I am sure that this is the most practical car ever produced in India. Its become dated now and is overshadowed by the crowd, but we must recognise that this car created automotive history in our country. It changed the way we move on 4 wheels.Even actor Rekha once quipped in a Filmfare interview in the 1990's that she liked the Maruti 800 the best among all cars she had owned saying she even owned a Honda Accord  then.

sonycamv1743kw6.jpg

loading.gif

Thats my 1987 Maruti 800, still with its original paint. Its been with the family since 21 years. It is still my most loved car to zip around the city roads.

@Gurdanish - The very big satisfaction for a buyer of 800 is, He is becoming a owner of a car... 800 is the only car that makes the dream of an ordinary Indian come true - A car for everyone...

Hey, you don't need to worry about the scratches or dents when u r inside 800.. U can even try to make a BMW get away from your way... After all, It ll cost you peanuts to correct the scratches in your 800..smiley15.gif... jus Kidding..

800 Is a tension free car man...to explain it in one word,800 is a miracle... thats all about it..

@Gurdanish, adding to what Anjaan & Krace said, 800 is a dream buy for 1st. time buyers & who says they cannot have all the expectations! Coming cheap does not translate into bad product! 800 fulfills most of expectations of newbuyers. Im a 800 owner since it got launched & Im completely happy & satisfied with the product & so are countless other people & members in this forum.

Wow Anjaan, you really value your belongings, a very fine eg. this (your 800).

speed2008-09-15 19:02:30

Hi Santosh' date='
That was a spectacular article on Maruti 800, my brother owns one and as u said its a four wheel bike - so swift to drive in a rough manner also.

Why dont u check out this site called www.buzzar.tv, I found a category for cars and bikes. All the TV commercials are displayed and a way to interact with those brands.

[/quote']

MODS.....Please look into this profile I think we have a spammer  here.

Similar messages can be seen across the forum under multiple threads...

The only reason that the 800 is around is coz of the Nano. Then you can see how Maruti will react and drop the price of the 800 once the Nano is launched. What was cheap to me when I bought my first car in 'way back when' is just plain crude now! I wouldn't go for the 800 unless it's given free. So once Nano is launched 800 will come at the most mouthwatering price ever seen on the subcontinent.