raj_5004

safari 2.2 v/s scorpio 2.2

though i own a scorpio 2.2 mHawk, i have driven it enough to pune from mumbai through the expressway. 1 day, just exchanged my hawk with my brother's safari 2.2 and drove to pune.

here is a small review on how the safari 2.2 feels. though this is meant to be a comparo, i am stating this as a review as i am driving only the safari 2.2 here. i have already driven my hawk over the same roads before so comparisons can be done.

i start at morning 6 am. took the keys and proceed towards the safari 2.2 (sorry, i wont call it the beast or the king, the manufacturer has given it a good name!) first impression, its huge! a brief about this safari, ITS STOCK! stock alloys, stock ICE, the only thing he has done aftermarket is black tints on the windows! anyways, i spend some time having a good look at this SUV. as i said, looks XXL but has got neat lines. somehow, this shape was introduced in 1998 and its age is showing. also i dint like the front bumper which looks like an overgrown indica's bumper. the side profile of the SUV is quite good with none of the boxiness like in the scorpio and the spare wheel cover looks smart. also, i think the tail lights are too small for the SUV, maybe i am used to scorpio's gigantic tail lights!
anyways, i unlock the car and open the door but damn! its so heavy! i climb inside and settle down onto the seats. the seats are superb, with lots of legroom, headroom and shoulder room. but how comfortable is it? too soon to commment on that... ohh, i have to shut that heavy door. i really had to stretch my hands to grab the door handle and give it a mighty pull to shut the door. poor ergonomics. let me look around the interiors... just 1 word, HUGE! the rear seats LOOK spacious and comfortable. i dint like the rear a/c vents, looks like an aftermarket unit! TATA could have provided integrated vents like in the innova. its ok, hope it works well atleast! overall the quality of pastics are very bad and the butoons have a cheap feel to it! nothing better than the scorpio here, except space!

i insert the key (again found the key hole to be badly placed) and fire the engine. nothing more than a silent purr at idle. impressive. shift the gear to 1st and i realise, the gearshift is no better than the scorpio's. its too vague and imprecise. meanwhile my dad and mom comes and they occupy the rear seat. i ask them "hows it?" and they reply "more spacious than scorpio".
so finally, we are out on the road. and the moment i pressed the throttle, i realzed it has 140 bhp but it unresponsive at low revs compared to the hawk or even the CRDe. (i had noticed this in the TD itself and this was the prime reason for me to reject this SUV). i had expected the engine to free up and give better response but nothing of that sort has happened. infact, i can hear some vibrations from various panels and some strange clicking noise when the car is moving. i steer towards the expressway and our car is moving at 70-80 kmph. no issues with the refinement of the engine. my mom says "this car jumps less than the scorpio!" that means ride quality is good and yeah! its even better that the innova, i must admit. who cares about handling at speeds of 70-80? then i realised i was feeling cold! the a/c chills effectively. thats when i realised another ergonomic defect. i have to literally bend to adjust the a/c blower speed as the switches are placed too far from the driver seat. or maybe since i am tall, my seat is fully slid back. but the same goes for the stereo. also, when the gearlever is in 1st or 3rd, it obstructs the stereo. about the speakers, they are about average. but its more than enough as a standard fitting. but i miss my scorpio's pen drive compatible unit. also its volume controls on the steering. i hate to bend each and every time i have to adjust the volume. BTW, many mentioned that the analogue clock on the central console is classy! i dint find it classy as i found it inconvenient to look at it while driving, i prefer scorpio's digital clock on the insrtrument console. till now, the safari has not thrilled me, but it has not disappointed me either! we enter the expressway. speeds increase. 100.. 110.. 120.. now at this speed, there is a lot of wind noise from the safari's A pillar and from the doors. even the scorpio has this problem. the tyre noise is quite ok though. but the biggest grouse i have is the lack of top end grunt. above 120, it took ages to reach a speedo indicted 145 kmph and also at this point the sound of the engine and wind was a bit too intrusive. i have to add here that the safari is best at speeds of 40-90 kmph, thats what i feel. above 110 kmph, the engine sounds coarse. this is not the case with the scorpio. its only above 140 that its grunt dies down a bit. expected more of a 140 bhp engine since a 120 bhp engine delivered more. at that point my dad shouted "slow down" and we were cruising at 90-110 kmph. how i missed my scorpio's cruise control... many ask me that where in india is cruise control useful? this is the road buddies!
it rains. again i miss the scorpio's auto wipers. the safari's blades are quite huge and does a good job, must say. also i miss the auto headlights in the expressway's numerous tunnels. the scorpio has spoiled me a lot i think! if there is any road in india where you can put all the scorpio's electronics to good use, its the mumbai-pune express highway!
i had carried some DVDs for my parents but both the screens dint work! called up my bro and he said he dint realize when it stopped working, he never uses them.

finally, i reach my destination and i realized what my bro meant when he said its a pain to drive in the city. i had to park it in a gate and for that it had to take a sharp turn towards the gate. but no matter how hard i tried or how much forward-reverse stunts i did,this mammoth refused to turn inside. finally, i gave up and parked it on the road!

opinion of my parents: a very comfortable car, preferable over long trips.
my opinion: good but still to capture my heart. lets see, one more drive may change my opinion!

cheers!

its a decade old design...so u cant expect as much as u can from a scorpio...when they bring in an all new model,it wil definitely be better...it is also very heavy taking its toll on performance

Nice comparison. Yes sure, the Safari is ageing. Other than offering a comfortable ride, the Safari does not excel in many departments. The Scorpio sales vis a vis the Safari says it all. I'm  sorry if I've hurt Safari fans, especially FRG, but these are my personal views and can be contradicted.

Good review, you've covered most aspects well. I have to agree that the Scorpio Mhawk is more fun to drive despite being 20bhp less than the Safari. My only grouse is the lack of space and ergonomics.

The Safari 2.2 has acres of space and the seats are superb as you've pointed out. Yes its not built as good as the Mahindra and interiors do tend to rattle especially the tailgate. The 2.2 engine also has an irritating engine note between 1500-2000rpm after which it smoothens out. The Mhawk pulls much better from lower revs which makes it better to drive.

But the Safari trumps it in ride which is very cosseting (although the Mhawk also is pretty good, its still not as good as the Safari).

To end, yes my 3.0 litre rattles and is only 115bhp, yes some ergonomics are flawed. Am I happy? You bet! Its just something that makes you fall in love with it.

FRG

well a very good review quiet informative !!! but the point is except the space ,scorpio is better in every aspect compared to the safari...i also have driven this car and it feels like a road roller and i was scared to drive it beyond the speed of 50 kmph in the city because of itz really poor handling and a very heavy front !!!! if i were to make a choice between safari and sorpio i would definitely go for the scorpio !!!!