Sign in to follow this  
anjan_c2007

Images from Bangalore and Kolkata

I 

made visits to Bangalore and Kolkata during the past two weeks. Bangalore is still so pleasant to stay in, despite all the ITization of the metro. The weather was so wonderful- one gets all the energy to work more! The roads are so clean - the new airport (opened 23rd May 2008) is 54 kms from the city and it took me two and a half hours to commute.The six lane road and the flyovers give us the look of a city somewhere in the developed west. The airport is Loganized- most of the taxis are new Renault Logans.  Taxis charge Rs 950=00 upwards to reach the city. I also saw beautiful ,new, red  BMTC buses at the airport which also go to most parts of the metro.  While on my way back, I started at 7.30 am to reach the airport from the city, well before the office rush hours, but it still took nearly one hour forty five minutes to commute the 54 kms. Traffic jams are a let down and Bangalore faces it like any other Indian metro. They say two wheelers move faster within the city during a commute.

sonycamv1356qc5.jpg

loading.gif

Logans

sonycamv1357mh0.jpg

loading.gif

More Logans

sonycamv1436yj1.jpg

loading.gif

The airport road

sonycamv1427vx4.jpg

loading.gif

A Hyundai showroom

sonycamv1382ml7.jpg

loading.gif

The Volvo factory on Bangalore-Chennai highway

sonycamv1389hi4.jpg

loading.gif

A lot of trees are being cut down for the widening of the Bangalore -Chennai highway

sonycamv1391da8.jpg

loading.gif

The Champion Reef shaft of the Kolar Gold Mine (the second deepest mine ) which reached upto a depth of 3250 feet. Unfortunately the mines were closed in 2001, by Bharat Gold Mines Ltd (a PSU) as the mining was non-viable (mining cost was Rs 1500 odd per ten grams, whereas gold cost something  around Rs 900 per ten grams in 2001). They say that the Britishers laid a railway line from Chennai to Kolar, even prior to connecting Bangalore, purely for transporting gold and the British management officials there.

sonycamv1394zt8.jpg

loading.gif

The very British, Officers Club of the Gold Mines, about a hundred years old!

sonycamv1405kq1.jpg

loading.gif

The bar at the Club- all the old wooden furniture and period decor of  the past are well preserved, everywhere in the club.

sonycamv1399ek0.jpg

loading.gif

The billiards scoreboard

More images later!

anjan_c20072008-06-24 16:50:33

Bangalore (contd)

sonycamv1363xx1.jpg

loading.gif

The phone number is quite prominent on the rear of a metallic aquamarine green Logan taxi (call 44224422)

sonycamv1417wv0.jpg

loading.gif

This is the Kotilingeshwara temple. Every devotee donates a certain sum to build a Shivling in his/her name. Already 80 lakh such Shivlings have been installed. The target is 1 crore so the temple's name "Koti."

OVER TO KOLKATA

Kolkata is still dominated by Ambassadors all over, though many, many private cars are now from the newer generations.The taxis are nearly 100% Ambys, with the 1500cc, Euro II/III compliant BMC diesel engine.The newer taxis have the Amby Avigo / Grande bodyshell with FRP bumpers and the 1500DSL logo.

Kolkata is very lively metro that never sleeps. The day after I reached i.e.  17th June there were very heavy rains. The roads speak for themselves.

sonycamv1456dr2.jpg

loading.gif

This is the Lower Circular (AJC Bose Road)

more pictures below

The Wide body Logan is good as many Indian like to stuff people in the taxi's also the number in the cab is of meru taxi service and its always on hold so no use of it .

quite a traveller you are, I must say....... nice pics

why is that amby guy opening his door in the middle of the flooded street?

Get some interior cleaning done?

The Wide body Logan is good as many Indian like to stuff people in the taxi's also the number in the cab is of meru taxi service and its always on hold so no use of it .

Yes rssh I was driven around in a Logan and Amby in Kolkata.I found the Logan to be a very solid stuff. When three adults (not lean and thin but average built) were seated on the rear seat, the bodies do not even touch one another- its so wide. But the minus points are its not so chic interiors and the cheap quality plastics.

quite a traveller you are' date=' I must say....... nice pics

why is that amby guy opening his door in the middle of the flooded street?

Get some interior cleaning done?
[/quote']

Ha Ha adi- the road seems fit for swimming too by the Amby occupant.

anjan_c20072008-06-26 16:04:06

Yes rssh I was driven around in a Logan and Amby in Kolkata.I found the Logan to be a very solid stuff. When three adults (not lean and thin but average built) were seated on the rear seat' date=' the bodies do not even touch one another- its so wide. But the minus points are its not so chic interiors and the cheap quality plastics.
[/quote']

Ideal qualities to run as taxi i suppose. Solid build and decent performance with plenty of space...

Looks and interiors not much of a concern if running as taxi.

The MERU fleet is completely Logan.

Another airport taxi is called AIRTAXI. Fully innova fleet with big luggage boxes on top. Reasonable rates. Lots of people taking advantage of the distance of new airport

BMTC Volvos are the best.front half has only luggage racks...  

Rajeevraj2008-06-26 16:09:08

sonycamv1496pl7.jpg

loading.gif

A new amby taxi WB 04 D 1555- notice the new tail lights, no. plate lights, reflectors below the tail lights  and the chic bumpers
The Kolkata  roads  were only fit for Ambassadors and more Ambasadors. The car owning folks will soon realise that the Renault Logan and not the Jap or Korean cars is the most suitable replacement for the Amby. Just see this Jap car mauled and bashed up so badly.
Picture below

sonycamv1515pm9.jpg

loading.gif

The Vidyasagar Setu connecting two banks of the Ganges river south of the Howrah bridge. Pedestrians and non-motorised vehicles are not allowed on this bridge. Toll tax is collected on the western side of the bridge.
More pictures to follow

sonycamv1549cm6.jpg

loading.gif

The trams from  the Raj era, still move in many parts of Kolkata. In many parts of South Kolkata including Tollygunje/Ballygunj/ Rashbehari Avenue/Kalighat, the hitherto hub-centres of tram movement, these have been banished. They are green and environment friendly but create traffic bottlenecks as in most places they move from the middle or any part of a road where the tracks were laid.

the logan suits best as taxi ..its better than those indigo's regarding reliability and its simple looking ....even ministers should towards some other good car leaving aside amby..anyways nice pics banglore is developed cities with good infra and u roam much ha ..good anyways...

the logan suits best as taxi ..its better than those indigo's regarding reliability and its simple looking ....even ministers should towards some other good car leaving aside amby..anyways nice pics banglore is developed cities with good infra and u roam much ha ..good anyways...

Thanks dude- yes it will take time for the taxi people to realise the Logan's worth. Sooner or later it has the potential to take off . Most taxi owners/drivers  value aesthetics the least.

dsc00146ro3.jpg

loading.gif

This 1937 Adler regn. no. BLA 7169 (BL for Bengal Presidency,BLA 7169 is not a fancy number) was owned by Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and is displayed in his house Netaji Bhavan, Elgin Road, which has been turned into a beautiful museum, managed by a trust.
After seeing this car I just thought about today's leaders. Can we think of  today's  leaders and display their cars, when they are no more? They change cars every year and have dozens of them. Moreover, most of them I know, have personal cars (also fleets) in the national capital, state capital, hometown and their constituency.  These cars have fancy numbers with numerological undertones. So which one does one display?

sonycamv1515pm9.jpg

The Vidyasagar Setu connecting two banks of the Ganges river south of the Howrah bridge. Pedestrians and non-motorised vehicles are not allowed on this bridge. Toll tax is collected on the western side of the bridge.
More pictures to follow
rssh is this not Howrah Bridge??

No the Howrah Bridge is very, very old and made by the British. In fact, on the Howrah bridge there is no toll tax and anything including handcarts and  pedestrians are allowed to use it. Not long ago, even trams used to ply on this bridge. Not anymore.

The Vidyasagar Setu, located a few kms south of the Howrah Bridge, in  turn is just a few years old and is intended to reduce congestion on the Howrah Bridge. It connects the Hastings area (Kolkata)  with Howrah dist.

bluesapphire the enlargement (Vidya Sagar Setu photo) has made the rain-drops from the drizzle, on the windscreen of my car quite visible.

Here's another picture that I clicked from the Ambys backseat. It shows the Netaji Subhas Bose International Airport (earlier Dum Dum airport) with Ambys. So this is another photo on this post featuring only Ambys.

amby2ambysiiuk6.jpg

loading.gif