speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

I didn't mean for Comp. necessarily, was amazed by the prices though, have come down drastically. Btw, Im looking for sizes beyond 32".

BornFree2011-06-07 04:33:57

Had a battery failure on my Acer 3810T. This is 2nd in two years, my son has had three, and a colleague two. Asked, for the non-acer battery. Expected tomorrow or the day after. In the meanwhile it is a mains powered laptop!

Had a battery failure on my Acer 3810T. This is 2nd in two years' date=' my son has had three, and a colleague two. Asked, for the non-acer battery. Expected tomorrow or the day after. In the meanwhile it is a mains powered laptop! [/quote'] I had my Hp pavilion DV5 battery failed in 1.5 year . I think its the way you keep your battery ,earlier I used to continuously charge the laptop and the overheating also played a part in failing of my battery . I bought a 12 cell battery last year from lamington road (hp original) for about 4k and it has worn out only 20 % in last 10 months . I think this can be also because my laptop is raised slightly due to 12 cell battery protuding out and help airflow below the laptop . I also let the laptop charge full and discharge it to almost 20% battery level so this has improved the wear rate of the battery. Hope this helps !smiley4.gif 

Yes, how you take care of the Battery determines its life. My HP Lappys Battery is going good after 3 years of hard usage, gives a juice of about 1.5 hrs. I took proper care of the Battery, stuck to charge cycles, did the sleep, shut-down settings & used a good quality Laptop stand for proper cooling.

@Rssh, 12cell for 4k sounds too good. Do let me know if you come across such a deal in future, Im keen.

Suprised to see Acer laptop battery not lasting. The battery on Dad's Acer netbook(3 years old) still lasts a good 4 hours or so. I think its a 6 cell and at the starting could last around 8 hours.

In other news, the Asus laptop I bought a year ago is going very strong. Battery lasting well. 2 hours on 6 cell and there are no heating issues at all. It is the cheapest laptop I have bought to date(32K) and it is by far better than the HP Tablet and the Dell Inspiron laptop. I would definitely recommend Asus to anyone looking for a cheap alternative to the big brands who have scorned me and probably pushed me away from life. Especially Dell.asethi9192011-06-07 17:42:33

@Sgiitk:

Sir,are you sure you haven't ever mishandled your laptop,because the battery failure in Acer(Twice in 2 years!!)is simply unbelievable(if worked under normal conditions).I have seen a lot of Acer users around me(I am hp type)but none of them has faced such problem.I think you love experimenting with the batteries(please ignore if possible,its just a light joke)....smiley36.gif

@Asethi919:

I agree with you about the battery life of an Acer,my brother-in-law also usues something called 'Aspire' from Acer and I have been seeing the laptop with him from over 3 years and still the battery is going strong and gives a really incredible backup of 4+ hours while normally working.

About 2-2.5 hours while on network(internet)

About 1-1.5 hours while playing NFS with high end graphics.

Why is it so that on network the battery backup of the laptops significantly falls even when we don't use any other application?TSiVipul2011-06-08 02:10:16

Yes' date=' how you take care of the Battery determines its life. My HP Lappys Battery is going good after 3 years of hard usage, gives a juice of about 1.5 hrs. I took proper care of the Battery, stuck to charge cycles, did the sleep, shut-down settings & used a good quality Laptop stand for proper cooling.

@Rssh, 12cell for 4k sounds too good. Do let me know if you come across such a deal in future, Im keen.
[/quote'] Yes even I found is pretty cheap for a geniune battery (non refurbished ) . You can always go on a haggling hunt at lamington road and you will be surprised with what deals you get there.

I has booked a HP envy laptop online but the delivery time and extra payment for custom duty was a big headache and had cancelled the order . Now I am getting envy 17 3D for only 60k at lamington road that too with sandy bridge i7 processors .

Thanks alot drifty, DD, BF & TSiVipul for the wishes.

I'm really enjoying it alot with its excellent brightness, contrast & colour aspects.

Its now less straining for its UPS & Inverter too, thanks to its Ultra low power consumption & due to the latter my PC is almost Power cut resistant now, as these are even much more frequent than repeating TV-advertisements now.

@Vignesh:

Are you sure you are using a laptop?I think you have misunderstood something like a Nokia E7 as a laptop..smiley36.gif

@Dr_Nishu:

No need of thanks at all,and if you are feeling so much thankful then simply get one piece of the monitor to me too.I'll display it on ACI with your name highlighted.How about the offer?(Actually today exams are over so I am in a light mood)

I bought a dc-ac invertor today for Rs 1000 , the brand is laptek (it makes chargers for mostly all the laptops at reasonable costs) . The socket fits neatly into the crigerette lighter slot and the device has flexibility to move up and down . It also includes an in built fan to remove the excess heat ,due to resistance .

Finally today I changed the thermal paste on my laptop for the 1st time and I can easily see a 5 degree reduction in idle temprature and 9 degree on performance mode . Here are the pics of the paste install

mzvSF.jpg

Qut4I.jpg

KhpCl.jpg

d9IOe.jpg

The paste is coolermaster HTK-002 of MRP 200/-

No need of thanks at all' date='and if you are feeling so much thankful then simply get one piece of the monitor to me too.I'll display it on ACI with your name highlighted.How about the offer?(Actually today exams are over so I am in a light mood)[/quote']

You can show it from your lappy screen too.

But If you're that much interested then I can send you the previously installed 17-inch LG CRT monitor. LOLz.. :-)) don't mind dude.

Mention not from my side in advance.

@Dr_Nishu:

I am happy to own even the LG 17" CRT too.You can PM me whenever you need my address for sending it....Reason:-everything which is useful is totally acceptable by me,especially when its   FREEof cost...smiley36.gif

@Dr_Nishu:

I am happy to own even the LG 17" CRT too.You can PM me whenever you need my address for sending it....Reason:-everything which is useful is totally acceptable by me' date='especially when its   FREEof cost...smiley36.gif[/quote']

Haha.. You're a Real Indian ghost, dude. Lolz..

Come to my place I'll give it to you n party-sharty bhi karenge.

@Rssh:

The operation theater is really looking cool.Hoping the operation will result in a good life of your laptop.

@Dr_Nishu:

What's wrong in being a real Indian ghost?In fact who is not when the turn comes?

Your deal is quite expensive,burn 2000 for something costing 500...NO DEAL.You can get a TV tuner card and use it in your car for entertainment.I'll then post a pic of your car on weird and wacko modified cars...smiley36.gif

@Sgiitk:

Sir' date='are you sure you haven't ever mishandled your laptop,because the battery failure in Acer(Twice in 2 years!!)is simply unbelievable(if worked under normal conditions).I have seen a lot of Acer users around me(I am hp type)but none of them has faced such problem.I think you love experimenting with the batteries(please ignore if possible,its just a light joke)....smiley36.gif [/quote']

There seems to be a problem with this particular series (3810, 4810, 5810) ultra light, first laptops with 8 hour battery life ...  My son has worked his way through three (Acer Service in Manipal checked the laptop out),  two colleages 2 each, so it is a genetic problem. Issues with pre-Sept 2009 are documented. Have now put in Lapcare 440mAh (original 5600 mAh) which is cheaper and has a one year warranty. I have had laptops since 1998 and have changed battery only once in the past - HP 6226 after over 2 years since it was not holding for that long. I had a Toshiba which I kept fo 5+ years with no battery change - saw real rough use trackside in the summer with no coolers or anything. Good to know that other Acers are Ok. My son has an official 5742 so will keep an eye on what happens.

sgiitk2011-06-12 04:00:04

I recently visited lamington road (Mumbai IT hub) as I wanted to purchase a laptop. I was amazed to see the drop in prices.

i3 processor,

3GB ram,

320GB HDD,

DVD r/rw

bluetooth/wifi

14' display

ALL THIS JUST FOR Rs 26000 that too for a compaq laptop

Similar one in Dell costs around Rs33000.

But As Dell is King in Service I am still thinking should i go for compaq or dell