speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Yes absolutely. They have best support and quality and also resale value would be quite good compared to others and you also get numeric keys.sarabjeet2011-06-12 12:42:22

Please don't buy compaq laptops they have almost 40% screen flickering problem . Compaq is a lower brand of HP and they admit that the quality is compromised . Try a hp pavilion dm4 laptop also ,also ask them or rather show them the quotation of other shops so that they can give you almost 1.5k discounts .

Nowadays even HP has on site services just like dell so I wouldn't really considering service to be a topnotch for either of the brands as from my experience both the brands have equally bad service . Best is to check the dell laptop @ Dell showroom near the flyover and then buy from other shops.

The TV dilemma. Our Hall TV set needs a replacement. My 57" Samsung Projection TV now looks quite dated. Options for Replacement are Sony 55" LED 3D 720, Sony 60" LED 3D 9000 series and Samsung 64" Plasma 3D 8000 series.

Will retain my Projection TV (all i get for it is 5000 bucks) and make a Home theater with the existing Yamaha home theater set.

@Rahul: I will get both updates of the Symbian on my N8. N9 is Windows: source today's "The Hindu".

@Sarabjeet: I think I jumped the gun; I changed to 32" LCD Bravia in 2006, now I'm stuck with it. It will last many generations with the way I'm using it. I'll let it get a little more ancient and then change. I got a Bravia Home theatre for the TV a good 3 years after and only last year got Tata Sky HD, it's working well as a combo. Samsung has a huge range, I suggest you look at Sony Bravia too.

@DD My Samsung Projection TV 57" lasted a 9 years. My Sony Plasma 42" is also 10 years old now. When i tell  TV sale's guys that my Plasma in a decade old and is still going strong, they have their mouth wide open.

Newer generation Plasma's are giving LED's run for their money but the sales guys are adamant that LED's are the best (it has to be they have Huge stocks of it).

Buying a TV is turning out to be a pain. Tired of comparing two-three-end number of models. It was so simple back then in the 90's

I will avoid Samsung Galaxy S 2 due to some phones having  reported yellowing problems in their screen and also some handsets have problems with pink spot in camera photos  and lastly Android has lot of security issues and asking price is close to iphone 4 Territory is not worth better to wait for next generation Galaxy S

About the future of OS for Nokia-

• Windows-The problem with windows phone is that it will run only on snapdragon processor due to which the number of products will less and cost high due licensing agreement with Microsoft.
  • Symbian - will be continuously developed so as to recover cost of investment by Nokia.It may go open source

• MeeGo - might be a Halo products - niche products with limited development
Problem areas - Qt  platform is incompatible with Windows phone so problem with creating app limited - so Apps development will be limited and how  far it will compete with Android app store still is to be seen.

@GOLF: I think Nokia and MS have announced that in future all Nokias will be Windows. It may be interest that the new CEO of Nokia is ex-Microsoft.

Now RIM is also in trouble - shares drop 80% in a year. So maybe we will only be left with Android & iOS as the major players.

I just saw somewhere that the Motorola Defy is a good phone, and is also waterproof. The biggest thing is that Cynogen is now supporting it. 

@golf

Have been using my buddies Galaxy S 2.  When we compare it with Iphone 4 it surely kills it. There is nothing new and exciting in Iphone 4. No bugs yet on his phone. Infact i would love to buy it but am addicted to BBM now. Hope they get andriod BBM enabled !! that will surely be a killer combination.

@Golf - This is the first time I'm hearing about yellowing problem on Galaxy S II. Although I have heard of it for IPhone 4 many-a-times. Plus I'll be posting a comparo of both these phones soon.

P.S. - I support sarab completely. Samsung Galaxy S II is the pinnacle of the modern technology. No phone in market can even think of competing, IMO. IPhone 4 is flourishing primarily because of the awesome marketing strategies of Apple and also the features, but no-day can it match to the Galaxy S II.

Wait for the comparo to come up....

The 12 volt accessory plug for lighting cigarettes and such is not filtered.  I borrowed a new Samsung S and connected it to a 12v/5v USB converter and inserted into the accessory plug.  The phone was charging well with no RF interference to the automobile electronics.  So we cycled the engine power and immediately fried the Samsung....hahahhahha.  I love this job.  The accessory plug is not filtered  (this is a major engineering oversight) and during cranking the voltage swings far enough to trash phones, MP4s and such.  Never, ever crank the engine with an electronic device attached.  By the way the new Samsung S replacement cost USD $135.00 with an 8G chip.

On another note....Nokia is a great phone...but it's stock is dropping as Samsung is becoming the tech giant.

@Brn2Crz - Thanks for the great tip. It will definitely help all the guys here.

But then what is the solution? Is it the same case with normal car travel chargers, although no one on this forum has experienced it yet. Or is it the case when you attach a socket-plug attachment and then plug in your device into it ?

@Winner - Bada is still in infant stage and yes it is a very efficient OS which is fast and responsive. It covers most of the vital features required in an OS for a smartphone. Bada 2.0 is going to be out in July and it is surely going to rock. We (Indians) had been going around with Bada 1.0 for quite sometime and had got bored of it. But then came Bada 1.2 and it surprised everyone. The enormous battery life, super good memory management, fast interface, the list goes on... Now Bada 2.0 is coming next month, the sneak peaks look promising and thats what we all are waiting for.driftpunk2011-06-23 15:13:19

DUxGP.jpg

Design

While design preferences are subjective, I can safely say that both the Galaxy S 2 and the iPhone 4 have very stylish designs. The iPhone 4 has dimensions of 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm while the Galaxy S 2 has dimensions of 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm. The Galaxy S 2 is the slimmest smartphone around, slimmer than even the anorexic Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.

It is also very light, with a weight of only 116 gms compared to the iPhone 4′s 134 gms. I would prefer the Galaxy S 2.

Display

The Samsung Galaxy S 2 comes with a 4.3 inch capacitive SuperAMOLED Plus display with a resolution of 480 x 800 pixels. It is easily the best display in town, in terms of size, contrast, display quality etc. It is perfect for watching videos and movies.

The iPhone 4 comes with a 3.5 inch IPS LCD

@Driftpunk compelling argument. As said, N8 is the best camera phone around and I have results to prove it. Clicked by me. Video's via the HDMI out just rocks, I think if mobile phone camera's progress in this fashion, stand alone's are history. It has 13 gigs of free memory and added my son's 7 (free) gig card from his phone had a whopping 20 gigs memory.

Alfa Romeo:

20110623_171443_01062011575_-_C.jpg

An R Class:

20110623_171330_30052011424_-_C.jpg

Durango Dude2011-06-23 17:26:07