speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Now RIM is in trouble - 80% drop in share price in a year. Let us see who buys them out - Microsoft is one potential partner.

@sgiitk - Sir RIM's net value is eroded by 80% in last three years not share price.Its share price has fallen by 21% in last three days.

Source:

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2011/06/21/247046/Acquisition-rumours-rife-after-RIM-shares-fall-following-profits-revision-and-product.htm

Now coming to mobile OS -

Symbian - Nokia has outsourced the development of Symbian to Accenture along with it employees.Nokia has categorically said that it will support symbian to atleast 2016.symbian will move to mid  segment of mobile sector to compete with likes of mid segment Android and Bada

See below source for :

1. Accenture  deal -

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_outsources_symbian_development_to_accenture-news-2812.php

2.Future of Symbian by Nokia V.P - Source

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_reveals_the_symbian3_future_phones_will_keep_coming-news-2457.php

3.Windows 7 - Will remain a niche product due to its minimum hardware requirements so though it will be a flagship product it will never available in mid segment dominated by Android.

Stephen Elop in an interview has given an in depth intreview about the future direction of Nokia including its OS es - see the link below-

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_to_continue_support_for_symbian_at_least_till_2016-news-2695.php

@drifty -

I had earlier written about the problems of galaxy S 2 -

See the links below

1. Screen problems -

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_display_plagued_by_uneven_brightness_yellow_tint-news-2719.php

In the comparison  nothing new in it.Next April you will have Super AMOLED  extreme with 2 GHZ quad core , So I will wait next year also iphone 5 with dual core is coming September till then I will not give 5 star rating to Galaxy S 2 nor will i recommend

@sarbajeet -.Camera - pink spot problem was  fixed by software updates thats why your freind's handset didn't have problem

@mods - Please don't remove the links but if need be suitably edit.

Sad news

My 5 month old Mac Pro is in Apple's service centre. Today morning I turned on my Mac and was shocked to see a thin vertical red line. Dropped it at their service centre.

They are replacing the entire screen or the laptop if I am not satisfied. Now i am thinking of opting of extended warrenty but that costs 19K.

Don't opt for the extended warrenty if you change your laptop every 3-4 years . Its just not worth going in for extended warrenty as per my experience they didn't honor my faulty hard disc and they don't cover charger and screen in the extended warrenty . Check what apply cover in the warrenty then decide to go as my Dell experience has been pathetic.

My latest addition to the camera lineup is Panasonic lumix DMC fz100. Buying lenses corresponding to long zooms is expensive and adds to the bulk of a camera. So finally decided upon a decent superzoom and bought it yesterday. Paid around 26K for it. Some filters, a spare battery is still due.

I found some good  apps to try from ovi store for symbian 3 devices -

• Ram info
  • free translating parrot
  • neoreader
  • weather touch
  • PSILOC world traveler
  • Real golf 3D
  • galaxy force
@sb_alto - congrats man on buying the camera and post some pictures taken by camera in the forum

@GOLF: Watch and wait.

The share price drop of RIM was reported by ZDNet. If the net value erodes by 80% so will the share price (P/E is the crux) esp. when there is no bright light in the future. The 20%+ drop as stated by you is over 3 days! I Guess gsmarina may be more reliable to some.

It is common belief that Symbian is dying, forums not withstanding. Even you quote Nokia as stating that Symbian will move to mid-lower segment. Elop as Nokia CEO has signed an agreement with MS about Windows and is himself ex-MS.

As for obsolescence any hot phone today will be near history in six months. You should buy what you need, making sure that there is developmental support for it from outside.

sgiitk2011-06-25 04:17:09

@GOLF: Watch and wait.

The share price drop of RIM was reported by ZDNet.

@sgiitk - Sir ' date='Its share price has fallen by 20% and net value has fallen by 80% this according  to Wall Street Journal.(Links to article below)

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/06/17/is-it-time-to-talk-a-rim-takeover/

Never underestimate any company.Two years ago everyone wrote off Sonyericsson but now its in pole position as for Palm now its with HP who have wonderful WebOS so anything can happen in mobile world.

{QUOTE=sgiitk']

It is common belief that Symbian is dying, forums not withstanding. Even you quote Nokia as stating that Symbian will move to mid-lower segment.

Symbian will remain active atleast till 2016 and Elop himself said new phones including smartphones will be based on this platform,so future secure till 2016.Nokia has transferred its Symbian developers to Accenture which will be responsible for future of symbian.Besides Symbian has had a long life of nearly a decade and it should be always remembered as the OS which pioneered smartphone revolution though may OSes have been before it none has truly brought revolution for Buisness application.In a way iphone owes it to Symbian .

{QUOTE=sgiitk]

As for obsolescence any hot phone today will be near history in six months.

Absoultely correct sir.May I add one more thing in future you will either get a great phone with either a good camera or great screen with great OS not both.it has been amply demonstrated by Samsung Galaxy S 2 and Nokia N8

Bought a wireless mouse+keyboard set. Now attaching the old laptop to the tv permanently through the HDMI. Microsoft set. Cost only 1299. Makes the overall experience a lot more enjoyable and convenientsmiley1.gif.

Finally after one hectic week searching for new laptop I had to compromise as the Envy 17 i7 was not in stock anywere in Mumbai (as I saw previously in lamington).

I got HP DV6 6121tx with following config

4GB 1333Mhz DDR3

640GB 5400rpm HD

15.6' LED display

2GB 6770M Ati raedon

4 Beats Audio speaker .

i7 2630 processor.

Now this compromise is 85% of envy 17 for 65% of price so VFM'ed .

Total cost INR 53000 with backpack.

The best thing about the new DV6 is that the battery life is now 4 hour while surfing net were as earlier models had 2 hour maximum for 6 cell battery.

@DD the only difference now is that instead of the laptop on my lap and me in bed, I would be staring at the tv. If anything it might just save my eyes for a few more yearssmiley36.gif.

@RSSH Congrats on the computer! Even though the config is very nice, 53K seems a little steep, doesn't it? I bought a ASUS for 30 and the main difference was the lack of graphic card, beats speakers and it has i5. Hopefully I am wrong. Have fun. smiley1.gif

Actually the graphic card itself costs 8k for desktop and for a laptop it will definately be more than 10k . I don't care about the speaker but the difference between i5 and i7 is big enough for me to hunt all Mumbai for a good i7 + great graphic combo laptop .

I need good graphics to run simulation and analysis softwares also  I am a gamer at heart so that also fits the bill

PS This is a desktop replacement .

Which is the best compact camera, my budget is 8k-15k.

It should have optical image stabilizer,good optical sensor,12/+megapixel,wide angle lens,4+ optical zoom,should be fast,good battery life,should take panorama,quality pictures in low light,HD video,etc.  

Crazy Doc2011-07-15 09:48:42

Nokia's Q2 results are out.
Loss: $523 million. RIP Nokia. smiley11.gif
I never really liked you.

+1,

Even I wonder, Whats there in a Nokia, that everyone runs behind it?

Some says it has

1. good battery, now a days everyone has it

2. Very rugged, the motorola V3 I had is the most rugged I ever had and every other mobiles are as good as nokia.

I never touched a Nokia ever since the 3310-1100 period. I would never buy/ recommend one. I always prefer a LG/ Sony.

@Friends:

I still remember that my first phone was a Noka 6600,then I bought a 7610,then came N-73,then came a 7210 supernova,then came an E-63 but after that everything changed because I bought my Blackberry torch and this was the best phone I have ever bought but soon it was also broken and now I am using a Nokia C3.

But now I can say that Nokias are not really menat to be bought if you are going for a premium phone.

This time I am thinking of either any Acer(maybe liquid metal) or Dell mobile.

Can anybody explain me the pros and cons of Acer liquid metal and other Dell mobiles and yes,which model is recommendable?

Edit:

Today's Times of India has an article on the times business page(page no. 20)saying that Apple beaten Nokia in smartphones. TSiVipul2011-07-22 04:27:50

Nokia has lost the plot due to poor UI and OS, though it may have features I think the times have changed and so have preferences. Unless there is a sea change and a revolution in the forth coming Win 7 phones, I see Nokia playing a distant third fiddle to Apple and Android.

Well,after testing everything like this galaxy,Optimus,Xperia etc etc stuff.i still feel that my BB was far better and even the BB you get in the same price range is also better.

Only problem was that my BB never allowed me to log on to the ACI forum saying some cookies drama.Hence it was 50% useless for me.While the Nokia C3 which is one-sixth of its price does the job for me easily...smiley36.gif

Can anyone still tell me about the Liquid metal(Acer)?

And yes,where is the HTC?