speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Congo'z Archit!! A great buy I'd say. How much did you get it for and with what all offers ? Also which DTH service are you going to use. Dish TV provides true HD. Tata Sky fakes True HD by upscaling, loss in quality. Choose wisely.

dude i live in bangkok. got none of those tata sky and stuff. only got one DTH service. will be getting that soon. plus this tv has got the 2D to 3D conversion.

I bought an HP G4, i5-2nd generation Processor, 4 GB Ram, Intel HD 3000, 14 inch,500 GB did not go for a video card because it will be used by my mother after 6 months, when I will buy a new one.Total cost was 36500, best cheapest for this configuration amongst the better known brands (IMO), i.e. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony etc.

This happened after my 3 year old went dead motherboard on me. Found out that they also reserve the right to change what all is covered under warranty, unlike any other brand. So decided never ever Lenovo for me.

This happened after my 3 year old went dead motherboard on me. Found out that they also reserve the right to change what all is covered under warranty' date=' unlike any other brand. So decided never ever Lenovo for me.[/quote']

Can you explain me a bit on this. IIRC, even Dell changes everything on warranty, Doesn't Lonova do it?

No Lenovo reserves the right to change its terms of warranty during the warranty period. For eg. Lenovo earlier had hinge warranty for R61, but later on they removed it. They can do this in the middle of the warranty period. Dell and HP amongst others decide what they are going to give under warranty at the starting only. They wont change those conditions during warranty period.

This problem was highlighted, when our Universities bulk ordered Lenovo's started having loose hinge problems. Earlier they had replaced hinges on some of the same model, but on getting many complaints they said hinge is no longer covered under warranty and you will have to pay for it.

Inference, if you start receiving many problems about the same thing, just remove it from warranty.

For iPhone lovers, a huge deal is going on only for today. Buy iPhone 3GS from Snapdeal, and use coupon code IND15 and you get 15% flat discount. Total price comes down to only 16400.

Link: http://www.snapdeal.com/deal-delhi~ncr-apple-iphone-3gs-8gb

P.S. I am not trying to advertise Snapdeal, nor do I hold any responsibility of purchase. But I have purchased from them and did not face any problems

I purchased my 'LG optimus one' from Letsbuy.com. Market price 10K, on letsbuy it is 9500.00, I got additional 10% discount due to HSBC card, so net price comes to 8550.00. At this price it is a steal... A great smart fone with all bells and whistles..

Hello guys, I'm in search of a good mainstream laptop with i7 2nd Gen processor, 750GB storage, 6 GB and above RAM, and sexy looks. Had shortlisted a few of em, narrowed down to XPS 15z and HP Envy 17. Any other model which I can look forward to ? Kindly suggest.

@Sarabjeet: Nice and congrats. Isn't it mounted a little too high up, may give a neck ache.

@Driftpunk: I have had a Dell desktop XPS 8300, I haven't had any problems for almost 4 months and find Dell products very VFM. The DT has i7, 1TB and 12 GB Ram.

@Driftpunk

HP Envy 17 has been discontinued and a new model is expected. But given HP's current scenario I don't expect announcements sometime soon.

XPS15Z is a good laptop but horribly overpriced because of its slim profile. Have a look at DV6 series. I was getting 640 GB HDD, 4 GB Ram 2 GB video card for 55k. You can expand it upto 16 GB. A 2GB addition costs around 1500 Rs.

Also have a look at Dell Vostro 3750 (17 inch model). There is a model at 60000 which perfectly suits your needs. i7-2nd gen 6gb RAM 750 GB HDD, however instead of the 2 GB Video Card available with the DV6, this one has only 1 GB Video card. There may be an option to customise it further and add the extra video card.

Also have a look at customising XPS15. You can get same config as HP DV6, with 6 GB RAM for around 59k.

Vostro 3750 looks very sexy and elegant in my opinion.

Suggested links:

HP DV6: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-5082212-5118031.html

Dell Vostro 3750: http://www.dell.com/in/business/p/vostro-3750/fs

Dell XPS15 (Needs customisation, EVALUE code: U540402IN8) http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=u540402in8&c=in&l=en&s=dhs&cs=indhs1&model_id=xps-l502x

Quite some while since I've been using iPhone, now thinking of buying a new Cell-phone. Samy devices are looking exciting!

Guys suggest me some good phones. Budget is flexible, need a good smartphone which is fast & good looking. Goes without saying, glitch-free!

I too am in the market for a new phone. The blackberry has too many problems.

I want something with a real keypad, hopefully slideout because in most bar phones, the keys are too small and not spaced out enough. Only touch phones are completely out of the question.

I have shortlisted the HTC Dezire Z, Nokia E7 and Motorola Milestone.

Any problems with any of the above mentioned phones and which one would you guys recommend?

At the moment Im inclined towards: Samy Galaxy/S2, Nokia X7, E7, etc.

Duno about the performance, glitches of these phones.

An outside entry is Xperia Mini/Pro, nice & handy phone but then agian no idea on how it works.

@BF

Time maybe to keep your purchase on hold for just a little while. HTC is making a superphone that is far superior than the best i.e. Galaxy SII and HTC Sensation. It is named HTC Ruby, is expected to launch soon, will have a 720p HD screen, 1.5 GHz dual core processor.

Also WP7 phones will start coming out in a month and if reviews are anything to go by, they are worth waiting for.

Amongst the current handsets, HTC Sensation is the one to go for. Excellent build quality, great UI, extremely extremely fast.

@asethi

All the phones you have listed are a generation old. E7 is new, but going on Symbian right now is not worth it. There won't be any software updates on any of these apart from E7.

If you don't mind the small screen( 3.0 inch), go for just released Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro. It has 1 GHz processor, slide out QWERTY, 5MP camera, 720p HD recording, Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Another option is to go for BB Torch 9800 which has a slide down, portrait QWERTY pad. But BB OS has not received great reviews for that iteration. However since you are already a Blackberry user, you may like it.

EDIT:

@BF

The difference in build quality of Samsung and HTC is huge. In our terms, its the difference between VW and Hyundai.

Nokias would have been OK, but after using iPhone you will immediately feel that this is an outdated and glitchy software.

Xperia Mini Pro is a good contender in the mid segment. As you go higher you get HTC Desire S, which in my opinion is the perfect, most practical touch phone out there, and then you get Xperia Arc, which simply has stunning looks. After that you have HTC Sensation and Samsung galaxy sIIrahul18102011-08-20 14:06:05

Nokia N8 anna  update brings you a new set of icon , internet radio , a communicator app and new ovi store.Performance improvement is marginal.

The camera is still the same with no new features.