speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

@Raul, HTC makes some great phones but Im a little wary of their after sales & niggles.

WP7 not my cup of tea! Will prefer to stay away.

Nokia X7, E7, etc. look good but yes Symbian is down & out.Period.

BB also out of my list.

Trying to come across some user reviews of Xperia Mini/Pro. Will also check out Arc.

Im kinda out of touch with the latest breed of phones, used to keep abreast earlier. Starting to research after a long gap!

@Golf, yes I too learned of the Anna update to Symbian & that it shall smoothen out things.

Latest breed of Touch screen smartphones are really handsome, some real estate to play around on..!

BornFree2011-08-20 14:40:58

@Rahul Thanks for the info man. I know the HTC and Motorola are a generation old but then again, they are sadly my best bet from the current lineup.

I recently for the first time got my hands on a friends HTC with Android. Symbian and BB software feel horribly outdated in comparison. BB Torch's keypad is as you said portrait and its interface is again not great.

I am excited for WP7 phones but I doubt I will see a keypad phone anytime soon. Hopefully I am wrong. Any more info on them?

@BF

I recently saw the Xperia Mini Pro with a friend. Its a good phone but its too small. The screen size and keypad truly are mini. I dont think it will live up to being a replacement for the iphone. You can still check it out.

@BF & Golf: I have updated my N8 to Anna on the day the updates were available viz day before yesterday. The icons have changed and there is an image qwerty key pad now. touch experience is a little bit more refined, nothing in the iPhone league though. Camera is one of the best available and HD video's are good, but you have a problem with 'red eye' in indoor pics with flash, negated with the flash with red eye reduction mode, which you can choose as default when you personalise the camera settings. You can use it as a tethered modem via Nokia Ovi suite and browse with 3G and also can make it a hotspot (with Joiku) for sharing the 3G with other devices. It has a HD out, too, HD cable standard with the kit. So far no problems with the N8. Got free music downloads for the phone from Ovi Store for a year. You have push mail. etc etc. 

Durango Dude2011-08-20 15:00:35

@Sethi, I will keep the iphone along with the new phone. Then upgrade it when 5G/4S comes through.

@DD, Yes many people have been telling me that they are happy with Anna upgrade.

3G hotspot reminds me to opt for iPad WiFi & save money of 3G models.

@BF: You get 2 versions of Joiku hotspot Premium and Free on Ovi Store. With premium you have a WEP key so the hotspot remains only yours and is priced Rs.150 on the Ovi Store, I feel is a pittance for peace of mind. I got the premium and its working like a dream and speed tested it and downloads are at 3.15 Mbps. If you hook it up via Ovi Suite as a tethered modem there is a warning after say every 25MB so that you don't get angina after seeing the SMS of usage after the browsing session. Actually, Nokia is the underdog here and is being sneered upon. I have taken a liking for 'under dogs' thats why I drive an Elantra.

@BF

My friends have been using HTC quite extensively for past couple of years. Haven't heard them complaining of any glitches. There were some complaints earlier but post the dawn of Android they have improved a lot.

Xperia Mini Review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-ericsson-xperia-mini-993256/review?artc_pg=1

Xperia Mini Pro is just a keyboard sliding out of Xperia Mini Pro.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-mini-pro-Review_id2807

Xperia Arc

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_arc-review-584.php

I too am in the market for a new phone. The blackberry has too many problems.

I want something with a real keypad' date=' hopefully slideout because in most bar phones, the keys are too small and not spaced out enough. Only touch phones are completely out of the question.

I have shortlisted the HTC Dezire Z, Nokia E7 and Motorola Milestone.

Any problems with any of the above mentioned phones and which one would you guys recommend?[/quote']

HTC ChaCha

Nokia E7

BlackBerry Torch

Xperia Pro(dont confuse with mini pro)

@Rahul - Thanks for the links buddy. I did go through all of them and found a few more during the navigation. I am so much inclined towards MacBook Pro. But running windows on Macbook is not recommended. As per specs, Windows runs easily on Macbooks, but as per user reviews, there are a lot of heating issues.

I'm ready to wait for a couple of months to get a new one. No hurries. Only thing, the present one is giving problems randomly, so need to keep a replacement in mind.

@BF/DD and Rahul - Samy G-S2 and it is a bomb. No other phone can come close to it. The speed, the refinement is great. Also checked out the S-Xperia Arc - keeping it in simple words --> beautiful. But the body was so fragile. In terms of build quality durability, Galaxy S 2 is very ruff and tuff.

@driftpunk

Unless you game you don't necessarily need Windows. Mac is also very good and has great system integration. If you game, you can't have a Macbook running windows in any condition, there is a lot of power issues, laggy performance.

Also if you are buying this high performance machine for gaming, then I have another suggestion. Buy a mid range laptop for around 45-50k, i5 4-6 GB RAM, spend the extra amount on buying an XBOX 360! Go crazy!!

Otherwise there is not much use of i7. It has been touted by may as power hungry, little noise and hot processor.

@BF

I recently saw the Xperia Mini Pro with a friend. Its a good phone but its too small. The screen size and keypad truly are mini.

@asethi & @BF

You are talking about the older Xperia Mini with 2.4 inch screen. A new one with 3 inch screen has just been launched a month back. It is far more better, more practical and more powerful. You should also check it out. 3 inch is sufficient.

se-xperia-mini-pro-001.jpg

HTC has a phone HTC 7 Pro. Try to find it in India, which may be a little difficult. All WP7 phones will get upgraded to WP7.5 without any problems.

@BF

Check out the new videos of WP7.5 spread all over the internet. may change your mind about them. Also WP7 phones are available at mouthwatering discounts online. Best time to buy this phone ans they will get upgraded to a far more slicker OS by next month.

Here is a link for a preview in June. Some features have been added post that!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/27/windows-phone-7-5-mango-in-depth-preview-video/

@Raul, is the new Xperia mini the mini pro? Will be going through the review links you posted.

Im more inclined towards Android due to the vast App resources, growth & free. Comparitively WP7 is restricted w.r.t. App delevopment.

Will check out HTC devices.

@DD, if I end with Nokia, Im getting those Software packs for sure!

@Drift, Yes S2 has some great reviews & I too found Arc very beautiful.

What about Google Nexus?

@Driftpunk

Exactly a month ago I had the same requirement as you and I wanted the envy 17 with i7 second gen desperately but in vain the envy 17 is only available with i5 1st gen @ 70k .

My next best bet was pavilion dv6 6121tx and at a price of 52k I got a lot more value than any laptops available in the market . Also please don't install windows in MAC it will get burnt . inspiron 15z is good laptop except the graphic card is very ancient to my needs . Happy hunting!!!

@Raul' date=' is the new Xperia mini the mini pro? Will be going through the review links you posted.

Im more inclined towards Android due to the vast App resources, growth & free. Comparitively WP7 is restricted w.r.t. App delevopment.

Will check out HTC devices.[/quote']

Sony Ericsson has launched two different mobiles. Xperia Mini and Xperia Mini Pro. Both have same hardware and software inside. The only difference is that in Mini Pro you get a QWERTY keyboard.

WP7 is also growing very rapidly, and Microsoft is dipping into its accounts, luring app developers from Apple and Android, by offering them free phones, rewards etc. Also all major apps will get there, by the power vested by Nokia!

Nexus S is Google's plane vanilla version of Galaxy S made by Samsung only. The difference is mainly in software. Nexus S has plane vanilla software, while Galaxy has Android with Samsungs customisation. Nexus receives updates earlier, while Galaxy S will take sometime getting updated. Nexus has a flash while Galaxy S has no flash. Nexus has SLCD screen while Galaxy S has AMOLED screen. Nexus has the user interface as Google intended it to be. galaxy S has the interface customised and tweaked further to enhance user experience.

Actually I have used dual core phones, both HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy SII, and I don't feel much use of it. None of the apps made yet have the power to unlock the true power of these phones, except rating softwares. They are just a gimmick, a showoff, a feature to boast of, not make any use of. And by the time such apps come, it would be 2-3 years, and you would already be looking at a new phone.

Best buy roght now would be the 1Ghz running single core phones. They are powerful enough for any task you throw at them.

Chose between Xperia Mini/Pro, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire S, HTC Incredible, Xperia Arc, Xperia Neo(if available) and soon to be launched Xperia Ray.

My Choice (in order of preference) Desire S> Xperia Arc> Xperia Ray> Incredible

Not a big fan of small screens (3.0") so will restrict myself there. Not a big fan of Samsung's build quality or UI in comparisons to others, either so not going there either.

Xperia Ray is a 3.3" smartphone, 1 GHz processor, very slim 9.3 mm profile, 8 MP LED flash camera.

Now it depends on what you want on the phone and to what extent. Pocketability, Design, Screen Size, Prize. In other factors like hardware specs these phones are at the same level.

@Driftpunk

My next best bet was pavilion dv6 6121tx and at a price of 52k I got a lot more value than any laptops available in the market . Also please don't install windows in MAC it will get burnt . inspiron 15z is good laptop except the graphic card is very ancient to my needs . Happy hunting!!!

I agree witb your suggestion, but not the argument. Firstly there is no Inspiron 15z. There is Inspiron 15 R and XPS 15Z.

Inspiron 15R has just been refreshed and now has the new Graphics cards, and XPS15Z is just a month old in the market.

rahul18102011-08-21 14:13:09

@Driftpunk

My next best bet was pavilion dv6 6121tx and at a price of 52k I got a lot more value than any laptops available in the market .

Wow! I just saw this laptop and was completely blown away by the VFM quotient. I think the only thing missing in this is a back-lit keyboard. Overall, it is a super duper awesome package!

Do we have an option to get a back-lit keyboard installed?

@Driftpunk

. Also please don't install windows in MAC it will get burnt . inspiron 15z is good laptop except the graphic card is very ancient to my needs . Happy hunting!!!

Nope. Nothing but misconception. Have been using Windows 7 on my Mac Pro for 7 months now. No issue's what so ever.

I would suggest you check out dell. My 1year and 2 month old Studio 15 laptop can easily handle all latest game. Great support and battery back-up.

@friends i am also a gaming freak,but at the time I was about to buy a good expensive laptop my friend advised me to get a desktop made for me and for about 48k i gnt a hardcore gaming deski.

Also a laptop can never match the gaming experience of a desktop.

mine has a good 1 GB ATI graphic card,an AMD athlon processor,5.1 speakers and a really big 21 inches TFT....and this display plus sound combo can make you forget any laptop.

@Driftpunk
My next best bet was pavilion dv6 6121tx and at a price of 52k I got a lot more value than any laptops available in the market .

Wow! I just saw this laptop and was completely blown away by the VFM quotient. I think the only thing missing in this is a back-lit keyboard. Overall' date=' it is a super duper awesome package!

Do we have an option to get a back-lit keyboard installed?[/quote'] Even I wanted backlit keyboard and 1080 Hd screen but these options aren't available in India.

My friends new MBP has had motherboard burnt as soon as he installed windows ultimate and after swtiching on came BSOD it was all over. smiley3.gif

Sorry its the 15z XPS even I was talking about . Also please don't trust new laptop launch with graphic cars check this website to know more about the myths of graphic cards and how many company loot people by saying they have 1GB VRAM cards which are literary impotent to use that much memorysmiley7.gif

@Raul, from the SE stable, I'll be checking out: Xperia Mini/Pro, Arc.

From HTC: Desire & Sensation, Samy: Galaxy/2. No contender from Nokia as such becasue if the reviews of latest Nokia phones are to go by, the phones freeze & hang all the time! Lets see maybe something clicks on looks purely.

Almost made a purchase yesterday(S2,online) but held back to feel it in flesh. Won't mind spending little extra to be future proof for atleast a year or two. So, more inclined towards dual core processors.

When I was about to buy S2, suddenly iPhone4 looked very attractive, guess its difficult to ignore to Apple in that range!

@BF: If your iPhone 3GS has been trusty and still working well without dropped calls and poor reception problems, I think, iPhone 4 should be your choice. Iphone may be less on features but makes up with the huge app store. Almost all apps are made for it first and then filters down to Android, Symbian being the last. Symbian Anna upgrade is sucking battery like hell. May I'm playing around with it too much, since the upgrade, but battery is down within less than a day. Durango Dude2011-08-22 06:55:11

@Raul' date=' from the SE stable, I'll be checking out: Xperia Mini/Pro, Arc.

From HTC: Desire & Sensation, Samy: Galaxy/2. No contender from Nokia as such becasue if the reviews of latest Nokia phones are to go by, the phones freeze & hang all the time! Lets see maybe something clicks on looks purely.

[/quote']

Good choices. Best would be to go to the showroom and feel yourself. Also remember how the Xperia Mini looks. The showroom might fleece you with the older obsolete model. The Mini and Mini pro models have been numbered SK15i and SK17i respectively.

Also I would recommend you carefully go throught interface. Those who shift from iOS to Android generally complain that UI of iOS was much more simpler and elegant.

PS: You have been mentioning me as Raulsmiley5.gif . Its Rahul! smiley4.gif

Sorry its the 15z XPS even I was talking about . Also please don't trust new laptop launch with graphic cars check this website to know more about the myths of graphic cards and how many company loot people by saying they have 1GB VRAM cards which are literary impotent to use that much memory

XPS15Z has NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M which was released in the month of january this year. Also in comparison it has better ratings than the Radeons provided on HP DV6

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.htmlrahul18102011-08-22 07:42:26

@Raul, yes I'll be visiting Croma today to check these. Sure will remember the model nos. of Mini/Pro. Mini is without querty & Pro has one.

Btw was getting a great deal on S2 Yesterday:

This & + a 10% discount voucher that I had! So, it was a sweet deal, I was very tempted but without checking out in flesh, I could not complete the deal.

& Raul as a shortform for Rahul1810 or we can use R1, think you would like the later!smiley2.gif

A delight for Nokia N8 users. The camera upgrade is received by all with open arms, as the current UI was below average. Waiting for DD to give his reviews once he upgrades. Although the update is Beta version, but definitely worth the shot.

The deal is really good, but I don't trust ebay much, not bad experience but lots of stories, and the fact that there is nobody to do quality checks unlike Filpkart, Infibeam and Letsbuy.

I definitely prefer R1!! smiley4.gif

We have Paypal buyer protection on ebay which is really good. Have tried it, works well. On the other hand have had a bad experience shopping with Letsbuy. Flipkart has great reviews, Infi. some poor.

www.fashionandyou.com has Xperia Arc on sale for 23999. Very good price. Xperia Neo is also available there for 19999. Neo and Desire S are comparable and have exactly same specs except camera. Neo has 8 MP camera to Desire S' 5 MP camera. Arc has a bigger screen and a slimmer profile than the 2 at 4 inch and 9.8 mm thickness