speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

Sorry its the 15z XPS even I was talking about . Also please don't trust new laptop launch with graphic cars check this website to know more about the myths of graphic cards and how many company loot people by saying they have 1GB VRAM cards which are literary impotent to use that much memory

XPS15Z has NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M which was released in the month of january this year. Also in comparison it has better ratings than the Radeons provided on HP DV6

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html
Check out the following benchmark list the Ati 6770 M is 66 in rank and is called high end graphic card wereas the GT 525M has 114 rank and is in mid range graphic card .

Anyway I am not saying that the XPS 15z is bad but it was not good enough for my need as cost 18k more than the HP . I liked the XPS 17 with Gt555 M 3GB VRAM but it was too expensive. smiley11.gif

@asethi

Buy this only if the price is below 20k. WP7 are going very cheap at the moment, while right now they may not have great software, in a month they will be having excellent ones!

Also HTC is expected to announce WP7.5 handsets on 1st September. Keep a lookout for them. Rumors are ongoing of 1.5 GHz dual core 4 inch screen phone. No idea about QWERTY though. Also Nokia is a big believer in QWERTY and you may get them once Nokia launches its phones.

In the current market, your best bet is Xperia Mini Pro. It got great reviews at GSM Arena (link Below). Sadly its bigger sibling Xperia pro was never launched in India, because of the earthquake.

Xperia Mini Review

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_mini_pro-review-633.php

EDIT

You can also have a look at HTC 7 Pro. It is available for 300 GBP Unlocked in UKrahul18102011-08-29 12:11:31

This phone is priced around 23-24 online. Which I am now assuming is expensive since you are saying below 20k.

Mini pro is a good phone but I dont want to go for it.

I guess I will wait for the Nokia and HTC launches then. Thanks!

@asethi

Read my updated post.

Yes it is expensive, given that WP7 prices in India have taken a fall. HTC Mozart was available at a price of 17k in Flipkart, before being sold out. Also look at HTC & pro I mentioned above. Perfect phone for you, however you will have to get it from Europe, if you know someone there.rahul18102011-08-29 12:17:48

@Rahul

I checked out the HTC 7 Pro. What a tempting gadget that is. I have bhai-bhabhi coming in from Australia in a month or two so will see if the phone is available there. I was hoping for something under or around 20 though.

Maybe one of the upcoming HTC devices will fit the bill. Awaiting the launch now.

I have been an HTC fan since I owned the S710 for over 2 years before the blackberry. Reliable, durable handset which served me very well.

Thanks for all the info bro. :)

Hey guys need your help here. Well my MBA course has started and i need to buy a laptop. Since this will be my third laptop at our house I have kept a max budget at 25K(can stretch upto 30k). We already have a Studio 15 and Macbook Pro both with i5 processors.

I need a laptop which is easy to carry, has about 3-5 hour battery back-up and decent performance ( has to be i3 atleast/ can you guys also thorw light on AMD dual core and how does it perform against i3's) and the laptop should also be compatible to projectors (for presentation)

I am open to powerfull netbooks also or mini laptops

Companies on my Mind are Sony, Dell and Toshiba. Acer is also in consideration. Please tell me the best laptop for my budget.
sarabjeet2011-08-31 16:42:34

@sarab

Recently Dell launched Inspiron 13Z series starting at 32k. Should be handy and cheaper too.

inspiron-13z-14z-lead.jpg

Image- engadget

or try Dell Inspiron M101z or Lenovo Thinkpad X100e which both are AMDs Dual core and priced sub 30k.

My choice, Dell 13Z
creativebala2011-08-31 19:20:48

@sarabjeet

Dell M101z carries an older AMD Neo dual core processor, far inferior in comparison to what HP DM1 and Sony YB series have in their Dual Core AMD E350 processor, especially in terms of graphics and power management.

Those are the best option in my opinion, very easy to carry, having 11.6 inch screens.They both come with 2 GB RAM, expandable to 8 GB, so that should not be a problem. They are both available for 22k on Flipkart.

There are i3 options available from Toshiba, but there pricing makes me doubt their quality. And Dell and Sony i3-4Gb Ram option go to 34k, where a better option would be to go for HP G4-1009TU, which I bought recently. Costs 35k, 4GB Ram, i5 2nd Gen processor.

My advice, if you can't stretch, go for Sony YB or HP DM1. If you can, go for HP G4-1009TU.

Read their comparison here.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/compare.aspx?PPID=2663,2624,

PS: Battery life on the Netbooks will be far better than on laptops.

@Bala Dunno Dell 13z doesn't tick the right boxes for me to push 30K plus. On Flipkart i have seen many Laptops available for <30K but their configs are confusing me. Any other Mini with VGA port?

Edit: will check out Lenovo Thinkpad X100e ,  how good is Lenovo Ideapad S Series S10-3T ? Comes with a touch screen, 64bit Win 7  < 26k 

@Rahul

will check out both HP DM1 and Sony YB series.

There are lots of 14-15.6 inch Laptops available for 30Ks or less with older generation i3 and 3 gb ram how do they perform against Sony YB or HP DM1 ?

sarabjeet2011-09-01 07:02:12

The improvement that the second generation has over first is heating and battery issues. And since you want 3-5 hours battery, netbooks are definitely the most recommended.

Lenovo S Series is an extremely sluggish performer. Also its touchscreen is not very responsive either.

i3 with 3 GB Ram would obviously perform better then the AMD but not by much. Also battery life also battery life an portability provided by netbooks is unmatched, even more pronounced when you compare it with the older generation. Also performance for general tasks will be very good. It can even play medium requirement games with out much fuss. Problem comes with high requirement games.

This review will show good comparo of performance, with respect to i3 too.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/hp-pavilion-dm1z-with-amd-fusion-review/

I would again say, buy either of the netbooks. If you want a better performer, instead of going for these older generation go for HP(compaq) 430 (i5 2nd Gen, 4Gb, 30k) or HP g4-1009tu(i5 2nd Gen, 4GB, 35k) .

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/laptops/hp/itmdywe3t8zpzhxm?pid=comdywd8ssbsxk9y&_l=EQWS3pNFhu0QcPQLM9vaqA--&_r=LDsermHnA4oqqjwWqTNr1A--&ref=aec4e355-80a8-432b-9926-8af873b53593

Finally I would just say, since you have a priority for battery, don't go for older gen i series. Also remember, for performance power would be consumed. The Dual core AMD powered netbooks provide the perfect balance regarding this. Go for them

Is the PSP worth buying for 8000 Rs

Well PSP is a nice option.. Alongwith excellent gaming, you get world class audio/video (but obvious its SONY) and you get wi-fi  too. Its a nice buy but only that where PS2 CDs are around .6 k..the PSP DVDs go 1.5 k. and also the small screen, after sometime it hurts eyes. I have used both. Better buy PS2 if you would be playing at home only. if you travel a lot, go for PSP then.

@Rahul

I checked out the HTC 7 Pro. What a tempting gadget that is. I have bhai-bhabhi coming in from Australia in a month or two so will see if the phone is available there. I was hoping for something under or around 20 though.

Maybe one of the upcoming HTC devices will fit the bill. Awaiting the launch now.

I have been an HTC fan since I owned the S710 for over 2 years before the blackberry. Reliable' date=' durable handset which served me very well.

Thanks for all the info bro. :)[/quote']

Well amongst all the Window7 phones, I found Samsung Focus pretty awesome. Only that it has certain issues with the memory card. Where as HTC HD7 is also good (bigger 4.3" screen, same processor), but looks more of plastic and cheap. The speaker extended arm looks funny.

Well a Windows 7 mobile if you are going for..you should wait for sometime. Microsoft has still not launched the full website as Microsoft market for Windows 7 applications.