speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

@bs,

welcome back to our forum after a long time.

IMHO, I would pick the Android over Apple for its openness/ flexibility. Ipad fits best to show off.

Recently our DD bought a samsung tab for his son and I have the Old 7" samsung tab. I am satisfied with it.

Do also check out Motorola xoom before finalizing.

@BS: I second CB. Samsung is quiet good. I have had it for a month, I think, no problems. It has a mini SIM slot and have used my BSNL 3G sim with no problems. Skype has received an upgrade on gingerbread and it supports video calls too, now. Ipad 2 has cult status in the US. Cutting mini SIM to micro is no big deal it can be done for Rs.50. I did that to my BSNL 3G SIM when I got an IPhone 4 a few days back. There are also adapters available o convert Micro to Mini SIM, just like you have adapters to fit micro SD card into SD/SDHC slots. Haven't used iPad 2 so can't comment. But I feel that Samsung has the advantage of Flash support and it doesn't have to go through iTunes for everything and is recognized by my new windows 7 computer as pt-7500. Have a touch and feel of both the Samsung Galaxy tab 750 and iPad2 and then decide what suits you best. All the best.Durango Dude2011-10-21 06:27:58

@DD,

How is the BSNL 3G connection in chennai, how much hole its burning in your pocket?

If some one touch and feel ipad and tab back to back, he will definitely go for ipad, that's the magic apple has created world wide. The advantage of tab will be seen only after you start to work with it in day 2 day life.

@DD' date='How is the BSNL 3G connection in chennai, how much hole its burning in your pocket?If some one touch and feel ipad and tab back to back, he will definitely go for ipad, that's the magic apple has created world wide. The advantage of tab will be seen only after you start to work with it in day 2 day life.[/quote']

The 3G connection that will burn the smallest hole in your pocket is BSNL. My thoughts: Speed not that good, connectivity a problem. It's keeps flickering between 3G and 2G frequently. I also have an Aircel 3G connection on the N8 which is fast and also expensive as compared to BSNL. BSNL is prepaid and had huge balance (around 3k) which got wiped out when the Tab came along, someone at home was on Skype chat when the power conked off (and wifi). Now it has been removed from my Tab and gone after getting cut into my Iphone 4 and there also it works without a hitch.

Thanks CB & DD.

Well i too like Samsung pad & also like its display & touch, its more practical & is more tackle it, i mean it has no limitations like the apple, but Apple as a brand is more aspirational.

But i am considering it to buy it from USA, the two things bother me is Micro Sim slot(if in USA) & Contract by carrier's, whether its terminable or so.

Also should i go for 3G or Wifi only version, its also more cheaper but available only in USA. Also, does the 3G tab also supports 2G connections or only 3G?

@BS

Rest assured there wont be any SIM card troubles. Why Apple is more appreciated is because of its software. The software is much more mature than Android, which though very good, is cluttered and heavy. So even if it is better specs-wise fact is that iPad still trumps it in performance. You will get used to iTunes as has 85% of the tablet buyers!

A very good alternative is Amazon's Kindle Fire. Very VFM at $199 only. It will be released in November, but has 7 inch screen. Still at $199 it is less then half of the other two's starting point!

Thanks Rahul, well i have also read that for usability, ipad is to go for though its very limited & not as practical especially in India, where people have habit to use anything more than what it is supposed to.

One thing, does the ipad too have only headset compatible bluetooth like iphone or can we transfer files freely to any device we want.

Apple has not only a beautiful but a strong build too. My father has an iPhone, that has been pretty roughly used, small kids have let it fall to the floor, but it works like a charm.

Regarding bluetooth transfer, I think it an intentional policy from Apple, so I think it wont be possible in Ipad2 also. You can jailbreak it and then transfer, but I wont recommend that.

I have got an Iphone 4 and yesterday I spent the better part filling it with my contacts the good old way: tap tap and last night I got in the 196 essential of the 271 after salving many duplicates, next I have to cut my SIM and added to that I can't connect via bluetooth to anything but a hands free. I feel I'm being hemmed in by Apple: must have been destined by God for such success with all the limitations, built in. Had this been done on any other phone it would have fallen flat on it's face. I still can't bring myself to cut my 14 year old business SIM to be stuck with "the forbidden fruit" called Apple IPhone 4. Sure it has great UI and OS and very refined: agree with Rahul on that but it's a huge price to pay to cut your SIM card to size so that it will not fit into any other phone. My question is: suppose the Apple goes "rotten" then what? The answer is the whole world is doing it so what are you waiting for, but I'm not that sure. I guess people buy it for the 'status' and instant recognition it gets the world over, more than anything else. Guess I'm not 'Adam' enough to take a bite and get marooned on 'Island Apple'.Durango Dude2011-10-22 02:36:44

@DD

MicroSim has been adopted by many devices, other than Apple. Also if Apple gets rotten, you can get a new duplicate SIM immediately. With Vodafone they only charge Rs 30 for this, and the new SIM is activated in an hour.

Trust me, after this initial hassle, you will fall in love with it, and when the time to buy your next phone comes, it will be on top of your list!

Hi guys' date=' seeing you all after long time...

I need your help guys, am in search of a good & practical tablet, i am confused between ipad2 & Galaxy tab10.1, [/quote']

No doubt Apple iPad2 is hi-tech & sophisticated usage but its Real-time utility is quite restricted, like lack of Proper Bluetooth connectivity, MS Office files & USB-port compatibility.

So, I'd rate Galaxy Tab better or else you'd look at the Recently launched HCL ME tab

Its also having Android OS, USB connectivity & many more.

Do check it out at;

HCL ME tab

Congrats Nishu' date=' damages [/quote']
@Nishu: Congrats' date=' how much did it cost? I have Nikon S4000.[/quote']

Thanks BF & DD.

It costed me around 6.6k alongwith freebies.

Freebies included Leather Wallet, Wrist Watch, 4GB SD Card, Camera Pouch worth Rs.4850.

Hi guys' date=' seeing you all after long time...

I need your help guys, am in search of a good & practical tablet, i am confused between ipad2 & Galaxy tab10.1, [/quote']

No doubt Apple iPad2 is hi-tech & sophisticated usage but its Real-time utility is quite restricted, like lack of Proper Bluetooth connectivity, MS Office files & USB-port compatibility.

So, I'd rate Galaxy Tab better or else you'd look at the Recently launched

Its also having Android OS, USB connectivity & many more.

Do check it out at;

HCL ME tabdr_nishu2011-10-23 18:10:29

I will talk of things that I know well. These are some recent addition if you all did not know.

Enjoy the pictures.

image224y.jpg

image226l.jpg

The pain of importing stuffs from abroad. smiley11.gif

image227e.jpg

image228r.jpg

The add ons

image229j.jpg

The camera

image234l.jpg

image235m.jpg

image237e.jpg

image239g.jpg

image241k.jpg

The handycam

image242f.jpg

image244f.jpg

My over smart phonesmiley36.gif

image246u.jpg

I have got an Iphone 4 and yesterday I spent the better part filling it with my contacts the good old way: tap tap and last night I got in the 196 essential of the 271 after salving many duplicates' date=' next I have to cut my SIM and added to that I can't connect via bluetooth to anything but a hands free. I feel I'm being hemmed in by Apple: must have been destined by God for such success with all the limitations, built in. Had this been done on any other phone it would have fallen flat on it's face. I still can't bring myself to cut my 14 year old business SIM to be stuck with "the forbidden fruit" called Apple IPhone 4. Sure it has great UI and OS and very refined: agree with Rahul on that but it's a huge price to pay to cut your SIM card to size so that it will not fit into any other phone. My question is: suppose the Apple goes "rotten" then what? The answer is the whole world is doing it so what are you waiting for, but I'm not that sure. I guess people buy it for the 'status' and instant recognition it gets the world over, more than anything else. Guess I'm not 'Adam' enough to take a bite and get marooned on 'Island Apple'.[/quote']

itune sync sucks

cannot connect to bluetooth

phone needs to be jailbraked to run all free apps

Sim needs to be cut

expensive data plans ... well DD welcome to the over hyped world of iPhone.

@ news : my friend got his hands on new Google nexus prime, it seems that it is GOD is phones. Cant wait for it to come here

@Born Free: Factory unlocked Iphone 4 16 GB costs 33-35k, but 'outside' unlocked like Gevey and O2 unlocked ones are available at the rate you quoted at around 25k.

20111024_170901_Cost_of_IPhone_.PNG

The listing in Ebay.in.

The cost of the 4S version is given below I think it's 32 or 64 GB version, also from Ebay.in .

20111024_171102_Iphone_4S_cost.PNG

"Over smart phone" is actually a Nokia 2300(with FM) which I bought in 2005. It was Rs1995 then.

Hey, That's the Nokia cellphone which I loved the most, at the time when it came. I liked its differently designed keypad design, which inturn was a big leap over its heavy siblings like 3310, 3315, 2100, etc.

Its Other highlighting features at that time was -Cool white light display light & Ultra-functional FM radio with excellent Speaker clarity.

& Hats of too your sedate way of using the cellphone as per which it lasts so loooong. I've the habit of exhaustively using my gadgets & usually my cellphone lasts not more than 1-1.5 years with my usage style.

Its only the Sony Ericsson 'Naite' which was able to celebrate his 2-b'day anniversary with me last month. smiley1.gif

I seriously don't understand why people buy these smartphone for more than 25k because the phone @ 25 k = 85% of phone @ 50k .  I think I am an i-critic and I just like Android devices .

I seriously don't understand why people buy these smartphone for more than 25k because the phone @ 25 k = 85% of phone @ 50k .? I think I am an i-critic and I just like Android devices .

I think I'm an A(pple) and A(ndroid) critic I'm one of the few guys in the world who can't seem to let go of Symbian, waiting for my beautiful 'Belle' upgrade.Durango Dude2011-10-25 02:05:55