speed

The Gadgets and Gizmos thread!

I think I'm an A(pple) and A(ndroid) critic I'm one of the few guys in the world who can't seem to let go of Symbian' date=' waiting for my beautiful 'Belle' upgrade.[/quote']

Apple critic?

Android critic??

We all know you use Apple and gifted your son an Android, so you are not actually a 100% critic since you have already invested on both.

@vignesh

Only Motorola Defy comes to my mind in your budget. Its rugged and feature rich too.

I think I'm an A(pple) and A(ndroid) critic I'm one of the few guys in the world who can't seem to let go of Symbian' date=' waiting for my beautiful 'Belle' upgrade.[/quote']

Apple critic?

Android critic??

We all know you use Apple and gifted your son an Android, so you are not actually a 100% critic since you have already invested on both.

I'm still using N8 as my daily phone and don't want to cut the sim for the Iphone, now after having both I'm beginning to appreciate N8 more with the great features and the way 3G operates and also the better battery life of N8 with 3G on always and also how 3G operates with N8 and the IPhone which I believe has poor battery life with iOS 5, which I have upgraded to almost immediately after I got it. Only place the IPhone shines is the smooth OS great retina display and how you can video chat on the IPhone 4 using Skype, whereas symbian still doesn't support video chat on Skype. The great deal clincher for me is the greatest camera ever on a mobile phone on the N8, which is much better than the Nikon S4000 which I have. In the N8 after you exit the mail client the 3G switches off, an arrow mark indicates when the 3G is active and when it switches off there is no such indication in the Iphone4. But in the Iphone 4 the 3G stays on and has to be manually switched off by going to the settings. My son uses Android phone and also have a the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 which is good. I'm slowly getting to know what works best for me. I still feel IPhone 4 is mainly a status symbol, a phone that you can flash, but has a lot of weaknesses that are glossed over because of the hype surrounding it. I have now started using 'Mail for exchange(MfE)' to sync contact list from my N8 to IPhone 4 via Gmail a/c, it works well, there was a bug in the N8 software that prevented me from creating an MfE now thats sorted out with a software update from Nokia at the right time.Durango Dude2011-11-05 17:53:36

Galaxy Ace is a good choice but a better choice at that price point would be HTC Salsa. Optimus One is outdated with no more upgrades. If slightly small screen is not an issue, he can check out Xperia Mini, which apart from its screen size, is superior in every which way against the phones I have mentioned above.

If he prefers a QWERTY phone, Blackberry Curve, Nokia E6 and Xperia Mini Pro are your best bets.

@Rahul!..thanks a lot bro!..will surely check them out!.. we would prefer a touch screen one with good touch sensitivity as he is used to the iphone's excellent one!..smiley2.gif..this HTC Salsa windows or Android?

Ace suffers from poor battery and poor pixel screen, regarding o1, its still very good all rounder, I use one and would recommend it anyday.

The other best choice being Motorola Defy. Choose the one depending on your budget.

my choice - defy

Congrats vignesh for iPhone 4 lookalike cellphone.

Do enjoy its Clarity & display graphic richess alongwith the versatility of Android OS.

@CB;

I haven't heard of poor battery backup complaints about Ace till to date.

One of nearst cousin & 2-3 of my friends are already using it from more than 2-3 couple of months & they're extremely satisfied about it.

@Doc!...ty!..smiley4.gif..i'm really in love with it!

@everyone-I just created my very own website! ...please hav e a look everyone!

@mods-its nothing related to any product or anything..it's just to showcase my talent!

please have a look

www.viggzinventing.tk

All the photography Gurus, suggest me a good DSLR. Would like to keep it below 25k.

Also how do SE NeoV & Ray stack up against each other?
BornFree2011-11-12 19:00:04

All the photography Gurus' date=' suggest me a good DSLR. Would like to keep it below 25k.

[/quote']

Actually 25k is a tight budget for a good SLR. Although you will get to see a lot of Advertisements for Canon EOS1000D and EOS1100D in this budget, but both are below par in performance. Both these canon retails for around 23k-26k.

Extending your budget by just four thousand can get you Nikon D3100. This is the best entry level SLR and is absolutely value for money. The performance is better in all respect. Prices are around 28k-29k max.

Sony has a few cheap models as well. But Sony Alpha has a bad reputation of expensive and limited spares. Not recommended unless there is no other option left.

To tell you something frankly, SLR is a recurring expenditure. You need new lenses, for zoom, for macro, for portrait, for sunset and what not. Each lenses will set you back by minimum 5-10k.Then there are tripods,filters, bags and many more. So I would like to know, if you have any serious interest in photography and ready to take an headache for every upgrade. I am asking this question because the budget you mentioned is less for an SLR and the kit lens that comes with it, can only be used for limited purposes. Ultimately you might end up spending more than 60k on this cheap SLR.

Rather you might take a look at these cameras.

1. Sony cybershot dsc HX100V

2. Fujifilm HS20EXR

3. Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ100/FZ40

4. Canon Powershot SX40HS

5. Nikon Coolpix P500

Thanks Sb that was insightful! I can stretch to 30k max & not planning for more upgrades in near future. Bags, Filters & other small accessories are fine but nothing beyond, no new lenses. Guess 18mm-55mm should do the job for me.

Also no Pro-cameras too, have a small Kodak P&S.

So, Nikon D3100 it is. Let me check it out in the market...

Thank you sb_alto for the reply to BF's query, it was really enlightening. I'm basically a point and shoot guy and use the camera mainly for kindling memories. I like my pics to come out with max effect with minimum equipment. In fact I use my N8 more than my point and shoot's. I use edit feature of Picasa for added effect. Here's an example of a sunset taken with my N8 from a moving train and slightly altered in Picasa .

20111113_084653_22052011290_-_C.jpg

Clay artefacts hung up for sale at Dakshinachithra on ECR again with my N8.

20111113_090136_161020111214_-_.jpgDurango Dude2011-11-13 09:03:00

@DD

Nice shots for a mobile camera. Colour reproduction is good as well.

@BornFree

If budget permit then 550D is the obvious choice. The next best thing is D3100.

D3100 is actually the improved version of D3000. So avoid D3000. Its like going for a old Gen Swift, even when a new Gen improved one is available.

Better avoid basic canons like EOS1000D and 1100D. 1000D does not even got IS for the lens. 1100D is improved but no match for Nikon D3100.

550D is in the market for quite some time now, but 600D is not the replacement for this. 550D replaced 500D. Nikon D5100 is the direct competitor with 550D and better. With the entry level and mid entry level, a Nikon counterpart is better than Canon.

Expect 550+kit 18-55 @35k-37k and

600D @48k-50k with same kit.

Nikon D5100 @ 37-38k

sb-alto2011-11-16 13:37:53

So according to you, Nikon D5100 wins over Cannon 550D. Guess I would do good with one out of these two or Nikon D3100.

Btw, which out of these offers in-camera editing & think Cannon gives the added benifit of CA mode(something in-between Auto & Manual mode).
BornFree2011-11-16 13:43:34

Yes precisely that is what I was saying. Buy anyone except canon 1000d/1100d.

I use a 450D which is old now and its a canon. Since I do not use a Nikon on daily basis I will inquire to some of my friends who uses these camera and let you know ASAP. No guesswork here. 

Apple, although ignorant from the first day, have finally admitted to the battery bug issue and have it resolved to a fair extent. But still the work is going on at iLabs California regarding further optimizing the battery usage.