rakeshsinha

How to drive a Sedan pls guide

I have just competed driving-training. I have also got my first Car Aveo 1.4 LS Limited Edition and drive it upto 100 Km appx independently.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

While learning to drive I have noticed my lack of co-ordination between the clutch, gearshifts and brake operation. A number of times I have changed the gear without properly pressing the clutch. How do I overcome these while driving my new Car?

Please suggest some tips. I also have very little perception of the left side road clearance and parking the car using reverse gear. How to have a better judgment in this regard? It is more difficult for me to drive the car on busy road than learning on a big ground. Request your guidance as I am loosing my confidence.

first of all i would like to congratulate for your new car...........hmmm....i think this problem is because you dont fully press the clutch so u should make it a habit of pressing it fully ..but still if u hav problem with clutch and gears ...then i think converting your car's gearbox into automatic will be best solution..and what is the problem in brake ??can u explain it...........if u have problem in left side road clearance u shud use the left side ORVM or IRVM.....the problem in reversing is bcoz aveo is much bigger car....u shud learn reversing first on small cars like 800,alto..etc.......u r a learner so make sure you stick the letter "L" on windscreen of car it will help you alot..it helped me also...people get to know and pay attention.......try driving first on empty roads and practicse reversing big grounds first.............and the last and most important thing NEVER LOOSE CONFIDENCE.........it will take time but in few days you will be expert...........smiley20.gif  

...then i think converting your car's gearbox into automatic will be best solution..and what is the problem in brake ??can u explain it...........if u have problem in left side road clearance u shud use the left side ORVM or IRVM

Hi Vibhor,

Thanks for replying. The car is wide and whereas I can easily see my right side from where I am driving, left side is completely missing, I always have confusion and use to ask my co-driver for clearance of this side. Any idea as even after height adjustment of driver's seat, I am facing this problem. Moreover, I use to bent towards gear for shifting which is dangerous.

For this left clearance problem you should use the left Outside Rear View Mirror(ORVM) or Inside Rear View Mirror (IRVM)........and ya.....this habit of benting towards gear is dangerous and happens with most of learners try to shift gears without benting..........or as you said get your seat position in which you feel comfortabe.......  vibhor2008-07-04 12:02:08

Take your car to a open place. nice open ground. and just practice practice practice. you will definelty get over it. get help of the person you got trained from. with some fees he would be glad to help you learn on your vehicle.

congratulations, on your new car. as members have suggested, take the car to some empty ground or road & practice for sometime regularly. you will gain confidence.

for left side, use ovrm & rear view mirror extensively.

always depress the clutch fully while changing gears.

if u are short, raise seat height or place a cushion underneath while reversing.

congrats rakesh. Unfortunately the things u mentioned is just due to lack of practice. As u keep driving u'll get better at everything. But do take care to use the clutch properly, that is something u can consciously do. Other things just need practice.

One suggestion i have: When i bought my first car (2nd hand 800) althoiugh i did know driving i had no experience driving in cities. So what i would do is, take the car out for a drive morning 5.30-6am when roads are pretty empty. Would go for a big round, do some U turns and stop starts and some parkings, then when i got better started going out around 7 when traffic was higher but still not peak.

Like that step by step i became comfortable driving.

If you had not yet bought the car, i would have suggested a 2nd hand car for a year or so.. Anyways all the best and hope this helps.

Note: As suggested use L board. I currently have an L board on my car as my wife is learning. I notice people give u slightly more respctsmiley36.gif

Guys........... i have already mentioned about that "L" board...n everythin about his probs in my first post ..........any new suggestions??  vibhor2008-07-05 06:14:25

congrats rakesh. Unfortunately the things u mentioned is just due to lack of practice. As u keep driving u'll get better at everything. But do take care to use the clutch properly' date=' that is something u can consciously do. Other things just need practice.

One suggestion i have: When i bought my first car (2nd hand 800) althoiugh i did know driving i had no experience driving in cities. So what i would do is, take the car out for a drive morning 5.30-6am when roads are pretty empty. Would go for a big round, do some U turns and stop starts and some parkings, then when i got better started going out around 7 when traffic was higher but still not peak.

If you had not yet bought the car, i would have suggested a 2nd hand car for a year or so.. Anyways all the best and hope this helps.

Note: As suggested use L board. I currently have an L board on my car as my wife is learning. I notice people give u slightly more respctsmiley36.gif
[/quote'] Hi Rajeev, This is nice idea to take the car to roads in the early morning. I will do this instead practicing in grounds. Yes, i am a new owner of Aveo 1.4 which i bought on 20th May. This is my first car. At present I can handle my car at around speed of 35-40 but whenevr I see croud, I become worried for clearing due to not having enough practice. But surely I will be a better driver after covering some KM independently

congrats rakesh. Unfortunately the things u mentioned is just due to lack of practice. As u keep driving u'll get better at everything. But do take care to use the clutch properly' date=' that is something u can consciously do. Other things just need practice.

[/quote'] Hi Rajeev, This is nice idea to take the car to roads in the early morning. I will do this instead practicing in grounds. Yes, i am a new owner of Aveo 1.4 which i bought on 20th May. This is my first car. At present I can handle my car at around speed of 35-40 but whenevr I see croud, I become worried for clearing due to not having enough practice. But surely I will be a better driver after covering some KM independently

Yes i felt it was a good way to learn city driving. U get used to the roads as well as get practice with some sort of traffic...

I now follow the same method for my wife.. did the morning runs for a few days and now taking her into peak traffic

all the best...

ya thats the best method rather than driving on grounds(its initial stage)......do lots and lots of parking practice coz its must otherwise if u want to go somewhere u will think of some public transport than taking ur car....remove all the fear and just drive with confidence as if u know it perfectly .....if it was ur 1st car and as u r learner u must have bought some small car...

well rakesh a learner always expieriences such problems...for you i would suggest that you use both sides orvm's in ur car and confidence is the buzz word..dont ever loose it even when ur parking ur car and ppl blow horns at u and for reversing i think u should try parking sensors for ur car as u r a learner !!!

Clutch

For the clutch issue, think you should adjust your seats. You're not fully pressing the clutch.

Also, remember your car will not stall if you dont press the acclerator as soon as you put it in gear, put the car in gear and try to slowly release the clutch, you'll realise that the car starts moving itself without you even pressing the acclerator. Try this in a field with no one in front. Initially it'll stall but after 3-4 attempts you'll get clutch control.

Also, I have seen many people do this, when in motion and require to slow down the car and not come to a complete stop, you dont need to press both clutch and brake...just slightly pressing the brakes will suffice.

Parking

Practise parallel parking and reversing your car in a field by placing some bricks (not a pile just a single line of bricks and try reversing by using ur outside rearview and the centre rearview mirror...each time your car hits a brick try again....in most cases the side air vents can be taken to be in line with your front wheels so whilst driving try to avoid potholes using this.

Suggestion...

Above all, take your time dont be in a hurry or nervous whilst driving, your driving skills shown not by driving fast but by ability to handle your car and how you maintain it. This does not mean that you start driving very slow and obstruct traffic behind you.

Know your and your car's limits and try to stay within them.