devenjoshi2002

Skoda maintenance cost

Hi ,

I am planning to purchase Second hand Skoda Octavia RS (2005 Model 30000 KMS done ). So I would like to know about the Skoda maintenance cost.
How much I need to pay for each servicing (approx) and after how much KMS .Also I have heard the after 60000 KMS I need to
repairs the clutch, changing of timing belt, replacement of cooling pump, repair to the brakes etc and this will cost about 60,000 RS approx .Also I have heard about the spare parts availability and cost are much expensive.
Please advice

Regards,

Devendra

Hello davenjoshi, well I dont know the exact costs, but its going to be the most expensive affair maintaining a skoda rs. Check the car to be in proper condition , otherwise you could be in for a not so sweet surprise.

Please read the many threads created in this website on the Skoda Octavia. No doubt, it is expensive to maintain (please also see AC I  Nov 2007 issue for spares comparative study by Manish Sarser) but owners swear by the car and are proud of it. Many forum members own it and they will enlighten you too.

Well the RS might sound as a rally car and the owner might have driven it like that so check the dampers and suspension because the low profile tyres will break your back and also don't pay in excess of 8-9 lakhs below that is a steal if the car in not broken of course .The high spare cost means check the electricals and search for wierd noise while driving and read the mind of the seller why is he selling it.

hi everyone.

m new 2 ths forum. my name is Animesh Kohli. i wud like 2 give a suggestion 2 u about d pre used cars. nvr buy a pre used car xcept a maruti which has a vry low maintenance cost as compared 2 other brands in the market. Skoda no doubt gives a gr8 feeling, but it will b heavy for ur pocket. Do chk d condition of d car(engine, mileage, brakes etc.) b4 u buy it. Do chk out d new Toyota Corolla, Maruti SX-4, Honda City, Do get it chkd frm some car xpert whom u know personally. In d long run Skoda RS mite b an expensive affair 4u.

Rest is ur choice.

Gud luck.

Animesh Kohli

Skoda vRS is an excellent car,The car is expensive to maintain like other German cars but it is a dream machine. Most of the spares are available outside in the local market and it wont break ur bank. Dont pay more than 8lakhs for the car.

@Animesh.. please type in PROPER english and not this SMS/shorthand rubbish.

@DevenJoshi.. A 2005 vRS and only 30000 kms done? FISHY if you ask me.

Where are you from.. perhaps you can take it to an independent garage and get them to scan it if they have the VAG Cable and Software..if your around Bombay/Poona, let me know, I can hook you up with a few places that will do this for you.

Aside from that, yes 60K kms is a crucial service for any Octy.

Beware that the dampers do have a tendancy of going off early in our super road conditions

Other than that.. if the car's clean.. go for it. Its a decision you will NOT regret.

Cheers.

Zavo

Anjan

Some error in fetching the information posted by "Manish Sarser".

Deven please see the Autocar India magazine of Nov 2007 where Manish has comprehensively documented the prices of spares of all cars / SUV's/UV's /MUV's being sold in India. He has also written an informative article on his findings.
Also I may inform you that Mr Hormazd Sorabjee, Editor , Autocar, published the odo reading of an Octavia taxi in Autocar magazine that he had boarded in Israel, showing 685,000 kms done, sometime in late 2007.
The taxi driver said that the engine had not yet been opened till then.

Anjan

Some error in fetching the information posted by "Manish Sarser".

Devesh I've checked the back issues of AC I and its the Oct 2007 issue in all probability which I have lent to a friend that has this article on spares prices - will know tomorrow for sure. Also FRG, if he peruses this post/thread can please enlighten us about the month.

The Nov 2007 issue (you've correctly pointed out) with me here does'nt feature this article. The July 2007 AC I features a comparison test between the Chevrolet Optra diesel and the Skoda Octavia TDI.

anjan_c20072008-07-14 18:21:07

The Skoda RS was my dream machine, but was extremely expensive at Rs.15.5 lakhs (new) and was a guzzler. It had the show and the go, for a change. But I wasn't able to afford it. Skoda as a brand is maintainence heavy and RS is no exception. And buying second hand you may be in for a nasty surprise; unless you are buying it from a Skoda dealer, that way you may be able to wangle atleast a 6 months to 1 year, warranty from him. Buying an RS is a decsion taken with the heart, no the head, so be doubly sure that you don't get saddled with a 'Lemon'. All second hand cars look great and hide their age with good dose of polish and are all gleaming; but its better to get under the skin and get some expert opinion from a good source. With a Skoda don't take chances, especially a second hand one and petrol's have very bad residuals. So pal beware the ides of March as the saying goes.

There should not be any problem if you buy the car directly from an owner or a reputed dealer. But check the car thoroughly and you can be sure by taking along somebody who knows Skoda's and get his opinion to be doubly sure.

We bought an used Octavia last year and there has not been any problems until now (18 months and 14000kms later) other than the regular service. Bought it directly from the owner and it had done only 18000kms in 20 months.

EDIT : TOUCHWOOD!

5u3zEr02008-07-15 08:27:35

Hi ' date='

I am planning to purchase Second hand Skoda Octavia RS (2005 Model 30000 KMS done ). So I would like to know about the Skoda maintenance cost.

How much I need to pay for each servicing (approx) and after how much KMS .Also I have heard the after 60000 KMS I need to

repairs the clutch, changing of timing belt, replacement of cooling pump, repair to the brakes etc and this will cost about 60,000 RS approx .Also I have heard about the spare parts availability and cost are much expensive.

Please advice

Regards,

Devendra

[/quote']

Boss! Just the clutch with flywheel and assembly will cost u more than 60k. Being a skoda owner myself the only advise i can give u is that stay away from a used skoda. Its a good car no doubt but the parts are crazily expensive. The service too is the most pathetic i have ever experienced in my life. The dealers are out to just rape customers by changing parts even when not required.  At times i feel it costs me more to maintain my skoda than my merc.

@manishk do you own an Octiva or Laura?

Octy. It's old now, run almost 120,000kms but i've kept it as a spare car coz i'm not getting any good resale offers. Just around 3 - 3.5 lacs so might as well keep it coz i've spent so much on it and its running fine now.

That was true for the cars with old technology diesel engines but these new common rail diesel engines dont need to be opened up so early. They can clock 250,000 - 300,000 with any problem if you are a decent driver.

I've also seen a lot of Innovas (taxis mostly) run over 200,000kms functioning smoothly without any problems.

That was true for the cars with old technology diesel engines but these new common rail diesel engines dont need to be opened up so early. They can clock 250' date='000 - 300,000 with any problem if you are a decent driver.
I've also seen a lot of Innovas (taxis mostly) run over 200,000kms functioning smoothly without any problems.
[/quote']

What common rail; Skoda hasn't brought it's common rail engines to India as yet. We have only the TDI and Pumpe Duse.