FuelRunGod

Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Test Drive Report

Here is an exclusive review of the Jetta even before the issue is out. The Jetta has been launched today. It will be available with a 1.6 litre petrol unit and a 1.9 litre diesel unit from the Laura.

Exteriors

jetta1db1.jpg

Walk around to the front and you'll notice that it resembles the VW Golf. And that is because the Golf is built on the same platform as is the Laura as well as the Passat. The double barrel headlights, the familiar grille all scream VW. The looks are understated and remind you of its elder brother the Passat. And this is most evident when you see the tail lamp cluster. The side is almost plain jane. Paint quality is very good and this car can look better in a brighter colour. The rear overhang is quite large and gives it very good boot space. 527 litres to be precise.

Interiors

jetta3df7.jpg

The base Trendline diesel that I drove came with grey and black interiors. These don't look too lively and plastics don't feel as good as say a Laura. But don't be fooled. Quality of most bits is still very good and everything works well. The build quality like its sibling is very good and the doors shut with a reassuring thunk. The dashboard is neatly laid out and everything falls to hand easily. There are several cubby holes around the car for knick knacks. The base Trendline comes fairly loaded with dual zone climate control, keyless entry, eight airbags, ABS, electrical mirrors, MP3 CD player apart from the regular power windows, power steering, central locking, defogger etc.

Front seats have a range of manual adjustments and are very comfortable even on long drives. The rear seat have adequate legroom, but the seating position is a bit upright. To sum it up. It has adequate space and is fairly comfortable, but the interiors don't feel as luxurious as they should especially in this priceband. A sprinkle of beige (which is available on the higher spec) would do it a world of good.

Performance Ride & Handling

Start up the PD motor and the first thing that strikes you is the noisy idle. It does smoothen out as you rev. But you can't deny that this noisier than most other diesels in the market. Vibrations come through the clutch pedal. Noise aside, this engine acquits itself quite well. Just like the Laura, it pulls cleanly off idle and successfully hides its horsepower deficit. But being heavier than the Laura and with taller gearing, it is a bit slower in the 0-100kph dash and takes 12.14 seconds. But in the real world you can't really tell the difference.

jetta6ol7.jpg

The Jetta runs tyre pressures of 42psi and 35psi for the rear and front respectively. This along with the firm suspension gives it a harsh low speed ride. But the upside is that at highway speeds it feels very composed smothers bad roads with ease. The steering is direct and there is very little body roll. It follows the steering inputs quite well. But could do with a little more feedback from the wheel.

PD engines have always been fuel efficient and this one doesn't disappoint either. The Jetta returns 11.4kpl in the city and better than a Laura 14.01kpl on the highway. The highway advantage is mainly due to the taller gearing.

Overall

jetta2av5.jpg

At 14.22 lakhs ex showroom delhi, it makes for a good choice as an entry level diesel luxury sedan. Its got the equipment that you need even in the base version. Its got the space, the ride and the comfort, but looks may not be as flashy as you'd want it to be. It is a good car, but personally, I like the Laura better.

FRG

FuelRunGod2008-07-16 12:43:47

So os the beige in the upper models also is it as good as Laura in driving .The clatter is always there .Why is the tyre pressure different ? Handling bits or is it the tyres are different. smiley17.gif

Any pics does the base have projector lamp .If yes then is it single barelled or double barelled (like passat bast and highline types).smiley1.gif
rssh2008-07-16 11:58:42

It is a good car' date=' but personally, I like the Laura better.

[/quote']

So I am not the only one around who thinks laura is better.

I heard alloys would be a standard option and chrome ones..... true?

content.Par.0111.Image.jpg

Oh just saw the pic on the VW site. Toronto alloys. (as they are named)

Why does it need 42 and 35 psi???

And that reminds me does it have the air pressure check computer like the laura?

Warm welcome for Jetta to India. It is the successor of the VW Bora which was replaced by Jetta in 2006. The design is much similar to the Golf and Passat. Sometimes its hard to differentiate between the Big brother Passat from the rear. In Europe, Passat sells much more than Jetta. I doubt the former Bora was a better sold model than the Jetta when looking to the number of cars on the roads in Europe.

tnCB4_1070287_1_362931.jpg Bora

Nice review, I find this car too plain jane in looks dept. If I were to buy a car in 14L category & not in a hurry, I would wait for corolla diesel instead. Civic has completely shaken the segment & after seeing such a car, expectations are bound to rocket.

Why not have a shoot out of Laura and Jetta in next issue we know much about it so no Indian test drive just shootout as it will take another months with that also try to do both in the same issue.!

Ok so the last page of TOI today is whole jetta jetta

Something I couldn't find in their advt. but what laura has

1. Sun/Moon roof

2. Tyre air pressure check (mentioned earlier)

3. Bi-Xenon Head lamps (Well I don't even think if it has normal halogens either)

4.Head Lamp Washers

5. Not sure about but I guess its keys wouldn't be as cool as laura or is it FRG? that click and the key comes out like a swiss knife.

Till Now what I have found extra in jetta then laura

1. 8 air-bags while I guess laura has 6.

Anyone found any other difference?

And now that we have a test report thread for jetta I think The other jetta thread can be closed.
adi19912008-07-17 07:47:05

Oh. yeah right, sorry about that.

What about the lights on the side view mirros, they are just indicators or white lights too which switches on when you get of the door like laura?

Preferences are changing, tho civic has all the techie goodies, it somehow lacks the solid almost tankish feel of european cars...hope the Golf comes soon!!

content.Par.0094.Image.jpgcontent.Par.0095.Image.jpg

content.Par.0096.Image.jpg

[pix courtsey: vw.co.in]

There are lot of similarities between COROLLAS(present gen. india) & JETTAS  design, who imitated whom?

The frond end is corolla like,

Side profile is also corolla like,

Even rear looks like corollas.