FuelRunGod

Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Test Drive Report

Fabia sales - 659 units in June can hardly be considered sufficient.

Jetta: The design of center console and steering looks pathetic. The base petrol model at nearly 13 lacs provides a measly 100  bhp and come with a standard air con unit.

Compared to this the top end Civic V M/T at Rs. 12.16 lacs with 132 bhp and more features suddenly looks good value.

Though admittedly Jetta will much better build quality. I fear that at least the Jetta petrol model may meet the same fate as that of Fabia.

Clarksons review is like this because there are many competitive car there and this one was simple .Here we don't even  get 1.4lt FSi engine but still we like it because it is new to our market and in 15years even Manish could make a review like this because many companies are eyeing our market and then one would think why did Skoda even exist .

I think the side profile has a vague resemblence to the SX4. The biege interiors look better<saw them on the website>. The tyre pressures of 35 and 42 psi are sure to give you a sore back. I run my Elantra on 30 psi and it weighs almost the same as the Jetta. Wish they had brought in the Common rail unit instead of the PD one. And the petrol one is just there to fill the gap I suppose; even the company doesn't intend any one to buy it, let's see how it sells. The petrol has less bhp and obviously less torque than the diesel. So on a drag strip an Esteem must easily get past it. Atleast they must have given the screaming petrol from the Octavia 1.8; that would have done some justice to the price tag and performance. Even the old petrol Octy had more bhp than this unit if I'm right. Thanks FRG, for the report, eagerly awaiting the latest ACI, by the 3rd week at the stands, I like it hot off the stands.Durango Dude2008-07-18 05:29:26

well actually jetta looks a bit better to me than the laura...d petrol engine with 100 bhp will most probably a good sedate performer but d one which is gonna sell is going 2 be 1.9 pd tdi.....i think itz best to buy german cars with diesel cause due to their heavy body it drinks petrol like anything...remember opel corsa which was a very heavy car with almost 1.5 tonne of kerb weight had abysmal fuel efficiency !!! i'd like to ask d forum members wat would their pick be laura or jetta ????/ for me its jetta !!!!

this clarkson has just overdo it....nothing else....he can say this much about any car he wants i think.....he will just make some things by himself only....no car is like u r in 1930's jail i suppose and no cars will give u a feeling that u r dead....

No GTi for India (given the quality of fuel) but the kit can be good only for show . I love the car design and if I had the money then I would have gone for it ,it looks refined as compared to Civic (my taste) and not big as the piggy monster (the Laura) smiley36.gif

i like only the front of laura but overall i like jetta as its clean design and VW has classy exterior finishing i must say....And for me big prblem with laura is being a luxury car its not comfortable but Jetta is...

Can we consider good numbers coming up from Jetta

@ bluesapphire you were waiting for Jetta so whats you decision will  you buy it .

If you think the car as a human and compare then the Laura's eyes are swallonsmiley36.gif

ya my parents have set heart on this...but we are yet to check this car out as nearest dealership to us is in Mumbai and we are not planning to go mumbai now...and its soon coming in ahmedabad also which is my native place....but we are planning to buy car in nov or may be in jan..so basically between Nov-Feb....lets hope another good model comes...also if New Honda city is really good we can go for that also if its packed with features..lets wait and watch wat happens in coming months in our Auto industry...

As usual, like most of the car manufacturers are doing, the Jetta will have a measly underpowered petrol engine! 100bhp on a 13lakhs car, ridiculous! Why can't they offer a more powerful petrol option? And yes, it does look like the Corolla from the rear.

You are right, I haven't driven the petrol yet. But the PD motor despite the power deficit works quite well, both in the city and the highway. The same motor does duty on the Laura, and if you check the roadtest data, the Laura is as fast as the Sonata in 0-100. And the Sonata has 142bhp as compared to the 104bhp of the Laura. So output is not everything, it is the way the engine delivers power. In this case, the Laura's/Jetta's engine is very responsive which hides the lower power output.

You have to drive it to really believe it. Im fine with the Jetta's diesel version. All I want is a few extra features and a sixth gear for the highway.

FRG

You are right' date=' I haven't driven the petrol yet. But the PD motor despite the power deficit works quite well, both in the city and the highway. The same motor does duty on the Laura, and if you check the roadtest data, the Laura is as fast as the Sonata in 0-100. And the Sonata has 142bhp as compared to the 104bhp of the Laura. So output is not everything, it is the way the engine delivers power. In this case, the Laura's/Jetta's engine is very responsive which hides the lower power output.

You have to drive it to really believe it. Im fine with the Jetta's diesel version. All I want is a few extra features and a sixth gear for the highway.

FRG
[/quote']

FRG,

I have a question for you.

How do you justify the price of the petrol JETTA in India, with the its 100 BHP engine priced at 13Lacs, compared to the 170 Bhp engine which is priced at $ 17000 (Rs 6,80,000) in the US.

I know you have the reasons like duties, taxes etc ? But still it doesnt double the price right ?

Say i import the US JETTA from the US paying 120% Import duty and other charges i will get a 170BHP engine at 14- 15 lacs.

Please justify this and whats your and ACI's stand on this, Is the JETTA petrol over priced ?
anveshp2008-07-22 10:25:43

We can't compare the prices in the Indian market to those of the US. There is more to it than a mere exchange rate conversion. You may import a 170bhp engine, what guarantee is that it will run properly on our kind of fuel. Most engines are detuned thanks to the crap quality fuel that is available in the country. So I don't think its fair to blame manufacturers for bringing in lower output engines.

Another thing, in our country fuel efficiency is everything. Manufacturers know that. Which is another reason why engines are detuned. The Accord V6 was a prime example of this. Low FE meant low sales which ultimately forced Honda to stop producing it.

Why would any manufacturer spend millions of dollars and supply engines that people will just not buy.

My personal opinion, yes the Jetta petrol feels overpriced especially when you compare it to the Honda Civic.

FRG
FuelRunGod2008-07-22 10:41:35

Why would any manufacturer spend millions of dollars and supply engines that people will just not buy.

My personal opinion' date=' yes the Jetta petrol feels overpriced especially when you compare it to the Honda Civic.

FRG
[/quote']

You are right about developing new engines but I am sure they have higher capacity and more powerful engines which can be taken from their sister brands or companies which are in use in other cars, like for example the 1.8 TPI from the Octavia. Then offer it to power hungry customers at a higher price. Customers who are willing to pay extra will buy the more powerful option.

most companies are giving overpriced products...coz govt. is not doing anything and hence manufacturers are taking benefit of govt by making higher profits...but still we cant do anything...please dont compare it with other countries coz their govt. have some rules and regulations against pricing while here we are not having anything....Honda, toyota, skoda, merc, Vw, etc. all are overpriced so what can u do now....and if in future also any of these like skoda and Vw comes with powerful engine it will be even more expensive so more or less condition will be same...And accept it or not OUR INDIANS are Mileage Hungry so companies are satisfying them by giving good mileage

We can't compare the prices in the Indian market to those of the US. There is more to it than a mere exchange rate conversion. You may import a 170bhp engine' date=' what guarantee is that it will run properly on our kind of fuel. Most engines are detuned thanks to the crap quality fuel that is available in the country. So I don't think its fair to blame manufacturers for bringing in lower output engines.

Another thing, in our country fuel efficiency is everything. Manufacturers know that. Which is another reason why engines are detuned. The Accord V6 was a prime example of this. Low FE meant low sales which ultimately forced Honda to stop producing it.

My personal opinion, yes the Jetta petrol feels overpriced especially when you compare it to the Honda Civic.

FRG
[/quote']

I agree with you FRG, if the power is on the lower side, why cant the price also be on the similar lines ??

well i dont know what the fuss is all about....their's something called product stratergy as well...volkswagen has a premeire image...as to the power output i think jetta must be having good performance in both petrol and diesel....if a 170 bhp petrol comes in india den u people will be bragging about d fact that d car's mileage is 6-7 kmpl.....look d equation is simple if u want a performance car at 13-16 lacs go and buy a civic or accord or corolla....and even i thought that sonata must be quicker than laura but when i read the test i was shocked....being 40 bhp down and still matching it on 0-100 run..amazing...but if u still want a jetta with more power than get d jetta's performance enhanced by pete's !!!!

well i dont know what the fuss is all about....their's something called product stratergy as well...volkswagen has a premeire image...as to the power output i think jetta must be having good performance in both petrol and diesel....if a 170 bhp petrol comes in india den u people will be bragging about d fact that d car's mileage is 6-7 kmpl.....look d equation is simple if u want a performance car at 13-16 lacs go and buy a civic or accord or corolla....and even i thought that sonata must be quicker than laura but when i read the test i was shocked....being 40 bhp down and still matching it on 0-100 run..amazing...but if u still want a jetta with more power than get d jetta's performance enhanced by pete's !!!!

You are not gettin point mate. WHy is the price still high ?

hey anvesh d price difference is due to the big difference in exchange rates..a simple question...y is the us dollar dearer compared to the indian rupee ????/ this is because the us economy is stronger and healthier than the indian economy and hence such price differences..i hope u have got the answer !!!