aks316

What Car... ?

No doubt Honda makes ex products and the best petrol engines in the business.

However the competetion is fast catching up.

Indians prefer buying cars that are more than value of money spent, except the miniscule minority which prefers performance.

The service package of Chevrolet is the best in the country.

The so called Chevrolet service package may look enticing on books, but in its implementation, it differs vastly from state to state, some have positive and some negative, the GM dealer here in Chandigarh is a joke, to him, valve clearance is never needed in any Chevrolet vehicles and coolant and tranny fluid has magical 100,000Km life. Honda is no better, they are bigger crooks being the only one serving Punjab, Himachal, Haryana and Chandigarh, they fleece customers, replaced the a/c compressor on my friends city with an old one. Toyota here fares better than the rest, most of my friends are quite happy with their Qualis and Innova.

I would rank the 5 cars as follows.

1.Honda city - best among all VTEC is the one of the most refined engine in the world and it has the best comfort in class & its a HONDA.

2.Hyundao verna - Very good looking and very good while driving and a car with power and enthisiasm too.

3.Ford fiesta - Best car ever from ford in india. this is a car which is very strong with good highway ability.

4.Maruti suzuki SX4 - A good value for money but still not upto the mark after i think that if you want quality and performance maruti is not for you.Though after sales service is good and you can rely upon maruti.

5.Chevrolet aveo - Again but good car with comfort & good interiors but is not enthusiast and has no good driveability all though has a very good ride quality.

The SX4 and Swift built quality is fine' date=' as good if not better than its Korean built counterparts.[/quote']

I agree.

I do not think we can say for these as they are relatively new products. However, being heavier (sturdier?) they should be somewhat better than the older stuff from MS. I have had two Zens and an Esteem during the past decade, all kept for over six years, preceded by am M800.

Now I have an Accent (5 years) and Santro Automatic. Maintenance problems were definitely less with MS, than what now I face with H.Add to this the non-availability of Workshop Manuals and spares for H, forcing you to depend on the overpriced services of the company garages.

When I start changing my cars H is definitely out. I remember one independent garage owner commenting that how came you bought a second H. Most people buy one, and that is it. Now I understand.

I disagree' date=' the Getz is better put together than the Swift.

?

FRG
[/quote']

So you mean to tell me that Koreans have finally surpassed the Japanese, that would be huge news in automotive section and Korea as well, having driven both, find the Swift to be far more solid that Getz, I know one thing for sure, the Swift engine would outlast Getz by thousands of miles, I see plenty of high mileage Esteems with the aluminum engine, also Zens but am yet to see a high mileage engine in a Korean car period.

Remember they may be Japanese but manufactured by Maruti. We are talking of build quality. I have no doubts about the Suzukis engine. But the other stuff im not so sure of. Marutis start to rattle pretty early in their life, but having seen getz, accents of similar vintage, no rattles.

FRG

Remember they may be Japanese but manufactured by Maruti. We are talking of build quality. I have no doubts about the Suzukis engine. But the other stuff im not so sure of. Marutis start to rattle pretty early in their life' date=' but having seen getz, accents of similar vintage, no rattles.

?

FRG
[/quote']

Fully agreed with your point but the Swift and SX4 are now made in the Suzuki era and are also slated for exports, they are also rated quite high on CRs list and therefore they are subject to standards not seen in previous offerings from Maruti, yet to see a rattling Swift, I do agree, plenty of rattling Esteems and 800s on road, specially the early Esteems were built out of cardboard, the engine and tranny run forever on them though.

Suzukis engines are good but marutis manufacturing is sh*t. Santro/Spark much better than Zen estilo/wagon R spares are cheaper,performance is far better,driveability & ride quality & comfort is also much better. Getz/U-VA much better than swift, Accent/Ikon much better than esteem. So now what to say.

I hav seen many swift rattling thats the main thing why i dont like swift, the finishing initially is the best but after few months its the worst,the bumpers are very delicate which after sometime spoils the look of the car,U see getz in some color say red and see Sweift in some color both top of the line models i.e GLE & ZXI resp. see them after 6 months or 1 year see the finishing of both then you will realize why i oppose maruti.Though i can say some low price-tag models like Alto,800,zen(strictly old one) are very good and efficient but new ones are not good. 

See the gear shift of 800 and see that of wagonR/Zen estilo its the same old one no changes and see that of other competitors. Even Tata has improved a lot see the very 1st model of indica n see now there is lots of difference,see mahindra see jeep(some years back)/Armada & see now scorpio man theres lots of difference but see maruti no difference.Maruti is with big japanese giant Suzuki still no quality difference.In indian companies Tata/mahindra are improving a lot and their futures are bright, Maruti actually only knows to fool and attract people.......Nothing else...

Ive seen rattling swifts' date=' but yes a lot less than marutis of yore.

?

FRG
[/quote']

In that case I have seen way many rattling, faulty with electrical faults and blue smoke emmiting Santro and Accent, too many to count, in the first few days of ownership, the idle circuit of my friends brand new Santro had to be changed, after three years of mostly driving in Delhi it rattles as much as a Zen, so far not a single Swift have I heard rattling except for accidented jobs.

I really dont think any sensible person would belittle Maruti(Suzuki)s achievements even the much maligned 800 in this post.The 800 in my opinion is one superb package economical, easy to repair, very well packaged, and I would not consider it obsolete even today. I have worked on and driven a whole range of cars and I would think that I know what I am talking about. I think one should think a little atleast before making statements such as this. "MARUTI is not for performance..
Its only for those who still thinks dat it is cheapest(price),most fuel efficient,& has cheapest parts..the old thinking..as for all this theres only 1 car i.e M800"

consider for instance the esteem it was the quickest in its time gave the best fuel consumption figures was reasonably cheap to repair is there anything wrong with that was Maruti trying to fool the public with this? To compare Maruti with Tatas & Mahindras and make a statement that the latter are better, in my opinion is utter stupidity! I am assuming that the person did not read any Quality Control studies that were done, or probably believes that J D Powers were figments of imagination. While  I ahve high regard for Honda I find it unbelieveable that for so many years that they did not offer ABS on the city whereas you could buy a Wagon R with it. Also as I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum Maruti is practically the only company that has the guts and sense of fair play to sell to anybody who wants to buy spares, service information and special tools. Chew on this

I for one wouldnt, my father was the first to dump the Premier President we had and go for the 800 with glee, it was a dream to drive compared to the Premier, smooth, quick and fit an finish of the initial Japanese batches were second to none, Maruti 800 put wheels to India, broke the 20 year old waiting list for the Indian made inverted trunk and Fix It Again Tony clone.

hi as u have decided to take a Petrol vehicle its most advisable to go for Maruti Sx4 Zxi which comes packed with more features and also high ground clearance.soo goo ahead with Maruti SX4 and happy Motoring 

Couldnt agree more with you Gurkha. I owned an early M800. It was nicer than the m800 that followed. the body of old shape M800 was stiffer and less prone to rattle. The tailgate did not open to bumper level (giving better torsional stiffness) and if you saw the strut towers in the older model they were mounted closer to the firewall which made them less prone to flex and the overall handling was more sharper.

Couldnt agree more with you Gurkha. I owned an early M800. It was nicer than the m800 that followed. the body of old shape M800 was stiffer and less prone to rattle. The tailgate did not open to bumper level (giving better torsional stiffness) and if you saw the strut towers in the older model they were mounted closer to the firewall which made them less prone to flex and the overall handling was more sharper.

Agreed, it also had higher ground clearance as well as the Mikuni dual barrel carb which made getting to 90kmph in 3rd gear a breeze, too bad in the later model 800s, they not only ruined the finish and quality, they took that carburettor out as well, the Gypsy too suffered the same fate, the first batch of Gypsies were fantastic, we were lucky to own 10th vehicle delivered in Delhi, it was butter smooth, would easily do 120kmph with ease, superb fit and finish, instrument cluster and electrical were all Japanese, had hub locks and served us well for 7 years before we sold it, the later day Gypsies were nowhere near to it.

Was one of the early owners of an M800 which I rallied and raced. It is one of the greatest cars made in India. The old shape or SS80 as it is called had a shorter 4th gear which gave it a higher top speed. also the inlet ports were round and not kidney shaped like the new M800 or S308B which I suspect was done for better fuel economy. In fact for rallying and racing in the newer 800s and even for the FISSME single seaters, tuners would always try and find and old cylinder head. Those were the days...

Hey Guys Aks asked abt Fiesta , Verna, City or SX4 and you guys are discussing about maruti 800????????. go ahead with SX4 man truly a delight with All features present and low Price Tag , Higher Ground clearance . Safety features like ABS and Dual Airags and more Impiortant is the MAruti Suzuki Company which has been serving Indian people from around 20 years. and aslo knows for the good resale value. Hapy Motoring.

everyone forgets to ask AKS what he wants from his car.....somebody is talking about space and somebody about performance and others about VFM what doe AKS really want??Heres what I feel and its in order of the

Honda city VTEC- overpriced but peace of mind city package....good mix but never cared too much about the ride quality of this one.

SX4- great value for money and definately a superior product form MS specially as far as interiors go. HAs everything one wants at a great price, but lacks in build quality and refinement.

Fiesta- This one is to be enjoyed in the drivers seat. More of a drivers car.doesnt have the character the 1.6 ikon had but is still fun to drive.

Verna- give it to a chauffuer and sit in the back seat and forget about any maintenance for the next five years..........the petrol is lacklustre for me but teh diesel is another story that car is fun!!

last but not least comes the chevy....good space and interiors and fuel economy but the engine and gearbox leave a lot to be desired.