sudeepd

Cheated by Lucas Service Centre (For Fuel Pump)

Hi there,

From May 2007, our Indigo LS (Diesel Low-End Model) was not responding to the amount of throttle applied. I had to apply more than half throttle in each gear to make the Indigo move forward comfortably. At that time I did not pay much attention. I thought the pick up must have reduced because of usage. The odmeter reading was around 136 kkms (may be in the range of 1,36,000-1,37,000 kms).

We used the car in that condition till this may (may 2008). Then in 3rd week of May 2008, I showed it to Tata Authorised Service Station (TASS). The Manager (Mr. Patil) is very good friend of mine (Matlab unki aur meri ab kaafi jaan-pehchaan ho gayi hai kyunki hamari dono gaadiyan Tata Indigo hain And our new Indigo XL parts were replaced 5-6 times means different part at different time). He helped me a lot in getting warranty.

Back to my Indigo LS problem,

He checked and showed me that a 'free-play' had come at the end of accelerator cable (located under the bonnet). He said "Maybe the fuel pump not responding to the amount of accelerator applied. Show the car to the Lucas Service Centre". (The fuel pump is of Lucas Make).

I showed to Lucas SC (service centre). The technician (Nilesh Shinde) checked and said "The fuel pump needs calibration. Some parts of fuel pump will have to be replaced as well. Estimated cost will be around Rs.5000/- (Parts charges=Rs.3500/- and Servicing charges=Rs.1500/-)". He told me to send only the fuel pump through TASS.

So I took the car to the TASS. They removed the fuel pump and sent to Lucas. After two days Mr.Patil called me and said "Lucas has calibrated the fuel pump and we have fitted it to your car. You can take delivery of your car".

I went to TASS. I took a test drive to check the pick up. But I was disappointed when I noticed no improvement in pickup. I told Mr.Patil about this. He agreed with me. He advised me to show it to Lucas.

On that day itself and from TASS only, I called and told Nilesh Shinde that I will not make any payment of Lucas as the pick up has not been restored. He talked with Mr.Patil, but Mr.Patil backed me. Nilesh Shinde insisted to make payment but I did not do. Then he (Nilesh) said ok bring the car and he will see whats wrong. 

Then  I took the car to Lucas again. Nilesh Shinde adjusted the Antistall and idle rpm setting and told the car is ok now.

Again I test drove, but still did not feel any improvement in pick up.

I told Mr.Patil that I am not happy with the job carried out by Nilesh Shinde. He told me to take the car to Miraj (Near Sangli and Kolhapur) which is around 160kms from our city (Solapur). He told me that the report of Miraj is good.

I took the car there. They removed the pump and checked the calibration and refitted back saying there is no problem. I did not get desired road to check the pick up. And as it was late (6pm), I returned home (since it was going to take 3-4 hours to arrive at home). I test drove in Solapur, but still no improvement in pickup.

Then after one month (mid-June) Nilesh Shinde called me and said the payment is overdue. I said I will not make any payment as the pick up has not improved even after carrying out the job at two different places (Solapur and Miraj). He said "This is not fair. Either get the fuel pump recalibrated or return the new parts which have been put in the your fuel pump and I will fit your old parts back".But I did not listen to him and did not make any payment.

Again the Accountant of Lucas called me and said your payment is overdue. He gave him same answer which I gave to Nilesh Shinde.

Again he (Nilesh Shinde) called me 2 days ago for payment or return the new parts fitted within the fuel pump. I said to him that the fuel pump is not a bulb which, even after removing and refitting every now and then, will not get damaged. It is very sensitive item. I said Neither will I bring the fuel pump nor the car to him. And I am not going to make the payment either.

I also called Mr.Ravi Gore, Lucas Senior Executive, Pune and told him my grievance. He said he will talk to Nilesh Shinde and call me. Then after some time he (Rahul Gore) called and told me that he has given two readings to Nilesh Shinde which he (Rahul Gore) took from R&D and requested me to take the car to check whether the readings match with our car's fuel pump. But I opposed this and said to Ravi Gore I will not be going to Nilesh Shinde hereafter. Ravi Gore also said to me that if the fuel pump is calibrated and still the pick up problem exists then the fuel pump is not to be blamed and its the engine which is the culprit. I told him that when Nilesh Shinde inspected the car the very first time, at that time only he(Nilesh Shinde) should have told me that the engine is culprit and not the fuel pump. On this he said 'Yeh sab aapke bahaane hain kyunki aap payment nahi karna chahte". 

Then I also told him to call Mr.Patil (TASS Manager) as Mr.Patil knew about the problem and would explain Ravi Gore better.

Now after talking to Mr.Patil, Ravi Gore suggested me to bring the car to Pune and he himself will check what is the problem.

Below is the copy of Bill of Lucas=>

Sr     Part No.                   Decription                                         Qty      Rate                       Amount

No.

1      9109-230A              Gasket Kit                                           1     1488.38          1488.38

2.     9103-009N              Liner T.P                                             1       374.00             374.00

3.     7135-108                 T.P Blade                                            1       625.00             625.00

4.     9109-186                 Governor Arm Kit                               1       210.00            210.00

5.     9100-483A               X Valve Meterings                             1       565.00             565.00

6.     9100-191                  X Non Return                                    1       364.00             364.00

7.     9008-099AM            X Nozzle                                               4    1424.00          1424.00

Subtotal 5050.38

Labour +   810.00

Total     5860.00

I am thinking about complaining against the Lucas in Consumer Forum.

What do you suggest guys?
sudeepd2008-07-22 19:43:27

Well looks like you have wasted lots of precious fuel in serach of making the fuel pump better and went to Kolapur . Better take the bill ,journey travelled in the car to rectify the problems (km) also take the phone call number chart when he called you and how many times , and tell them he still changed the parts knowing that it was engines fault.

Hope you solve the problems fast!

Good Lick!!

Cars with Lucas pumps are known to be sluggish they tend to counter that saying the emissions are much better than Bosch. At that sort of mileage covered I would think a compression test would be that thing to take. Most probably changing the piston rings would solve your problem. Also getting the pump calibrated etc can only do the car good. 

Also it amazes me that you get work done and then say you are not going to pay the bill. The Lucas dealers that I have dealt with seem to be very good and if there is any fault in diagnosis it was done by your friend Patil who should  have checked the compression before suggesting that Lucas look at the pump which as I said before at that sort of mileage could only benefit from recalibration even if that did not solve your problem. It is my experience in this country that if bills are not settled at the time of delivery people make some excuse or the other not to pay!  

At that sort of mileage covered I would think a compression test would be that thing to take. Most probably changing the piston rings would solve your problem.

But the engine oil level does not drop. How can you advise me to replace the piston rings when the oil level does not drop ( inspite of harsh driving) even by 100ml between oil change intervals .

Also getting the pump calibrated etc can only do the car good. 

I have had calibrated the fuel pump from Lucas Service Centre in my hometown and also from Lucas Service Centre' date=' Miraj. .i.e., from two different Lucas Service Centres. But no sign of improvement in pickup.

Also it amazes me that you get work done and then say you are not going to pay the bill.

Why should I pay the bill? Despite Lucas replaced the parts of Rs.5050/-, there is no difference in the pickup. So what is the Guarantee that he replaced those parts. It amazes you that I got the work done but still I am not ready to pay the bill.

OK. Imagine you are suffering from Lung Cancer and you showed to a Doctor. The Doctor carried out an OPERATION on your heart, and send you a bill. Will you pay that bill just because the Doctor carried an OPERATION? Or will you ask the Doctor, if you were suffering from Lung Cancer then why did he perform an Operation on your Heart?   

if there is any fault in diagnosis it was done by your friend Patil who should  have checked the compression before suggesting that Lucas look at the pump.

Why to check the compression when the engine oil level remains at the upper mark of the dipstick throughout the 7500kms oil change interval?

I would have agreed if the oil level had dropped below the upper mark of dipstick.

He (the technician at Lucas) will have to pay for his deed.

On coming Monday (28th July 2008), I will file a case against the Lucas Service Centre (of my hometown, Solapur) in Consumer Forum.

Rings that are worn can leak compression which will reduce power output and may not consume oil.

How's that despite being reduction in compression, the engine oil is not consumed by the vehicle (Let it be a bike or a car)?

Also if compression gets reduced, how can a car go to the top speed of 140-150+kmph.
sudeepd2008-07-23 13:35:10

Now here's the Latest Update.
The Top Speed was limited to 80kph. So wanted to get the Pump Serviced from a Lucas Reputed Workshop.

Since
the Fuel Pump was not attended properly by Lucas Service Center at
Solapur and Miraj, I decided to take the car to Pune's Lucas Service
Center.

When I enquired at Pune (Dapoli) Lucas Service Center in 3rd Week of Feb 2011, Mr. Rahul Gore asked me to take the car to Lucas Service Center in Solapur. I told him that I got the Pump Serviced from Solapur and Miraj in May 2008 but did not see any improvement in the car's behaviour.
He then told me bring the car to Pune. I ask him the estimate of the job. He replied "If Normal Servicing is to be performed, then the Cost would be around 3-4K and if the Rotor is to be replaced, then the cost would go in the range of 11K".

On 25th Feb 2011, my brother took the car (Indigo LS May 2004 2,12,000+ kms) to Lucas Service Center, Pune for Fuel Pump
Service.

Rahul Gore inspected the car and told that the Rotor needs to be replaced. I agreed to that.
Then after opening the Fuel Pump, Mr. Rahul Gore showed my brother that the Fuel Pump was not serviced before at any of Lucas Workshop since the Factory Seal was Still Intact.
  The Rotor and some other parts were replaced and the car was handed to my brother.
 After carrying out that job, the car feels Much Much Better to drive. Its Throttle Response has Improved A Lot. The Top Speed has also increased (Have not checked personally but brother says 130+kph).
Alas, I had given the car directly at Lucas Service Center Pune itself in May 2008. I would not have lost Rs. 5,860/- against Lucas Service Center, Solapur.

Means I got cheated at Sterling Motors, Solapur since I had given the Car at their workshop for Pump Servicing in May 2008.

Sterling Motors, Solapur is the One of The Most Hopeless Service Center of Tata Motors Ltd.