rssh

old zen in bad condition

I hav a 01 zen lx . it is a second hand car and has just clocked 16000km (the value is correct). We rarely use is n maintainance is not so often. Recently it started giving many problems so i took it to a reputed garage he said that the body pannels hav rusted and as he opened the dash he saw that the chassie had been of other car. i m thinking of exchanging as i ll get good offers in the festive season but the mechanic says that i can use it for only an year. Should i sell it or keep it coz i rarely use it. 

Cars age not only with distance but also time. May be there is some sense in the government adage: cars are to be changed not before 50,000km or 5 years.

We just sold a 1997 Zen with 65,000 on the clock. The bodywork is still sound with no rust, even though it spent 4 years in a coastal area, which can be harsh. As far as driving experience goes the Zen was far better an Alto VX (1.1) of 2001 vintage which we also sold at the same time.

Thanx i ll now sell it for sure, but then i ll buy a new hatch definatily n it would be the Swift i think the ZXi (P) is the best go considering the use but my dad says as the fuel price rise diesel should better (VDi). And i know the diesel is peppier than petrol sibling i m confused. please compare them n which one is better in terms of keeping it atleast 8yrs.

A diesel, whatever they say is somewhat costlier to maintain. Also NVH levels are higher. My own view will be if you are doing less that, say, 15000km per year do not look at the diesel. My son has bought a Swift Zxi 1-1/2 months ago and by all accounts it is excellent. I have owned Esteem (carb version) in the past and the engine was a beauty. You should have found the same on your Zen.

Yes u r right the zens engine was superb its only the body prob or else i would hav never sold it. the new zen cannot be called an upgraded zen as it is sluggish and the gear box sucks. thanx