speed

2nd. Hand Gypsy !

I owned a Gypsy for a year in 97, but sold it in a hurry & am still repenting. New Gypsy from the showroom costs around 5L , which I think is steep as theres no diesel. So, Im looking in for a 2nd. hand Gypsy to relive the wonderful moments.

I have seen a couple of egs. , but none of them were good enough. The problem is, finding a nicely maintained Gypsy is hard, as sales in last couple of years in the private category were negligible.

Now, what all should I look in for in a 2nd. Gypsy, apart from the regular body work, shunt, tyres, battery ,odometer, interiors, etc. I would like to know about mechanical problems that could be in the offing. Or somethings specific to the Gypsy.

try getting in touch with the Area Commandant of the Indian Army...Gypsies are mosly in the Govt. sector...in the army, drivers maintain their vehicles whereas in other department the vehicles maintain the drivers!

Ha Ha hA...., its better to avoid ex army vehicles, they are mainly disposal jeeps in junk condition & need major overhauling. Im looking in for nicely maintained private Gypsy, but want to know what all to check before buying, so that I dont end up with a lemon.

There are private Gypsies , but  quite few. I have checked out 5 of them, but were not up to the mark.  I have kept a Gypsy myself, but its such a reliable vehicle , that I did not have to take it to the garage even once , except regular servicing & this after rough usage. So, I dont know much about its mechanical glitches as I did not experience any.

The case with 2nd. Gypsies is that they have been extensively used & abused, so , I want to sure before buying, what all to check out for?

Thanks , I did check out websites, but cars offered are from outside Punjab. First choice is not having any Gypsies. Only local  car dealers can arrange, but Im wary of quality. So, I wanted to know what all to check out for?

Basically, the chasis, bodyshell, drivetrain and wheels. Check the pillars for any possible repairs carried out...also have someone drive the vehicle and see its overall gait, most shunted vehicles dont have a normal gait and also look for high speed vibrations.

Probably it will be best if u take a mechanic along when u go for inspections or better still have it inspected by an inspection officer at TrueValue (if possible)...

Will u be using the same engine?

if yes then check the engine oil level, mostly people looking to sell oil burners fill just sufficient amount of oil as a result the vehicles dont give out smoke; water body and brake pipes, 4wd mechanism etc...

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot, Im aware of body work ,etc. , I always take these cars to mechs. for checking.

Yes, I would use the same engine, anyway if one wants to put in newer petrol engine, how much the cost be?

Nice info. on oil level & smoke, I'll also get the other mech. parts checked.

speed2008-08-06 07:06:55

Thanks Bhargav , I have diff. set of hill stations closer to my place. Also , I've heard that 2nd. hand Gypsies sell for a meagre sum in J&K, as Govt. there has banned their private use.

Tezpur is in Uttrakhand or Jharkhand? Great I always loved tea gardens, the lush green beauty, unsurpassable experience. I've been to tea gardens in Palampur . I also contemplated  having  a cottage among them for myself, but luck did not favor somehow. 

Hi, Tezpur is in Assam. The land of tea.But currently I am posted in Westbengal, in the foothills of himalayas near Darjeeling.The gypsy was once top overhauled as our terrain requires a lot of high reving and running on 4X4 during the moonsoon. Spares are not a problem here or in Assam all the Maruti Autorised Garages stock them. So you always get genuine spares.