sudeepd

Gearshift Related Questions

short gearing - Shorter amount of RPM range in each gear.

Tall gearing - More amount of RPM range in each gear.

Usually the 1st gear is short, more so in diesel cars, or in commerical vehicles were the 1st gear is for max torque to carry load.

short gearing - Shorter amount of RPM range in each gear.

Tall gearing - More amount of RPM range in each gear.

Then how come Vehicles with Short Gearing give less FE and those with Tall Gearing give More FE?

There is no hard and fast rule that vehicles with short gearing give lower FE please understand that a vehicle is a complex machine and lots of variables go in to making a vehicle FE, you are looking at gearing in isolation, that's not done.

Everyone Advises to DEPRESS The Clutch Fully While Shifting Gears.

What happens if Only 10-20% Clutch is Depressed while Up shifting and Down shifting The Gears (In Bikes as Well as In Cars)?

Is the Answer to above Question Different for Dry-Clutch and Wet-Clutch (Hydraulic Clutch)?

Please tell me the Adverse Effects (IF ANY) If the Clutch is Depressed Only 10-20% While Shifting (Up-shift and Down-shift) the Gears.

Almost all people advise to drive/ride a vehicle on an descent road in a lower gear.

Today I went to a Temple in our city. Past the Entrance is an inclined road (of 50 metres). So I decided to give a try to the above Advice. I engaged 1st Gear and released the clutch (slowly). Our Indigo's Speed increased from 0-25kph till it came down the Incline. I had thought that since the vehicle is in Lowest Gear (1st), The Engine Braking will Not Allow the speed to increase more than 10-15kph. Had I not pressed the Brakes Manually, the vehicle would have collided with the wall.

So How much is "Keeping the vehicle in LOWER Gears while driving the vehicle down the Steep Incline" Useful apart from So-Called-Engine-Braking?sudeepd2009-07-29 07:26:36

Engine braking is not to be used as primary braking. It is just a technique to supplement the primary foot brake. If the slope is steep enough, the car will accelerate even when in first gear without any accelerator input.

FRG

Thanks FRG and Cyrus for replying.

@FRG..

I know the Engine Braking is not to be used as PRIMARY Braking. But since the vehicle is in 1st Gear, the Engine Braking should be Maximum. And this should keep control on the Rise of Speed.

No Offense meant here.