REDLINER

Engine oil :how to choose

The most widely available synthetic grade for petrol engines is 5W50.

And its perfect for our conditions.

Brands that I recommend are Mobil1, OWS, Castrol, Shell Helix ultra

I think I read in Autocar that Petronas will soon launch their Syntium in India.

fully synthetic oils are of latest generation oils, though very expensive ,its use very much apprecited in the  latest cars with turbo charged or super charged engines, these oils work well in all weather conditions like 0w-50 oil ,how ever it is recomended to change oil between 8000- 10000 kms in turbo charged engines to extend the life of engine & to maintain performance, but in old engines /cars ,we need to follow the recomended visciocity  of oil as the bearing clerences are sensitive,

The oils are rated say 10W50. This means that the oil is basically SAE10W (W for Winter grade) but on getting hot does not become thinner than SAE50. The first figure tells you how thin the oil is when cold (easy starting), and the higher figure as to what is its high temperature rating (engine protection). Most engines are quite happy with SAE40 or 50 at the top end.

The you have letters life SF, SG, SH etc. These define the 'quality' of the oil. SF or higher can normally last for 1 year / 10,000km with no trouble. SG indicates a 'fuel saving oil' whatever that means. SH and higher is for synthetics or semi-synths.

Most cars will not benefit from synthetics, which are made from oils  which are broken down to the basic components and then resynthesized to the exact blend. These came from the aircraft industry.

Synthetics are of benefit in two conditions - highly stressed engines as in top end cars, or cars doing a high mileage. With a synth you may be able to go to 40,000km between changes (but change oil at least once a year). Watch out for the manufacturers Warranty and recommendations here!

My own preference is for a semi-synth. Diesels have the high amount of loading of the oil (that is why it goes black so fast) may be a different story.

i dont see any benefit. coz u get car serviced max at 10k kms.

normal oils used by auth service centers also last pretty well for this period.

i think they would come in handy in extreme conditions only which we do not face.

I would prefer to buy my own to the xASS stuff. One should definitely expect the xASS to use an oil which at least meets the specifications. However, they tend to cost more (see the price of the MGP oil from IOC and compare the specs and prices to their regular oils). Here the xASS has his own mark ups.

You can easily get a good oil meeting or exceeding the specs from the market. My long term favourites have been Castrol products (Magnatec, now back in the market, is a semi-synth and is excellent). The only problem with Castrol has been the vast amount of fakes in the market.