raj_5004

spare tyre on rear door?

i have a scorpio VLX. i was thinking of relocating the spare tyre to the boot door of my scorpio as seen in SUVs (endeavour, safari, etc.)... is this feasible or recommended? what are the negatives?

i just love look of a tyre on the rear door, hence the idea.

your opinions buddies?

There are many Scorpio's in Punjab which have tyre fitted to boot door.

Its very feasible, but well not heavily recommended as it cannot match factory work.

Negatives would be, it might not fit properly & rattle & squeak, door would become heavy & locking mechanism might get affected. Also door itself can get disfigured. But if the job is done properly, most of the negatives would be taken care off.

As you said, even I love the idea of fixing spare tyre to boot door.

I think, the spare wheel holder from Safari is taken & fixed on the Scorpio. Even a custom holder can be made from body builders.

yes, even my friend and a mechanic advised me to refrain from doing this as een if the job is properly done, with time the door will start rattling and sqeaking. i am a bit reluctant since the safari door rattles due to the weight of the tyre even though its standard fitment.

but i feel it will hugely improve the apeal of the scorpio.

yeah!!..even i too love the spare on rear door on a SUV!..it gives the car bold and more sporty feel!...n i've also seen quite few scorps with spare on rear door!...but i would suggest if you want to have on your car then ask from your dealer first!...that is it alright!?!...n maybe they can also do the job!!..because i've seen some original scorpios at expo with spare on door!smiley17.gif

Well its really easy to fit it but the thing is that the passion now is to avoid keeping it on the door. Some modifications like high strenght rear door hinge is required and the wheel carrier can be got as safari spare part also don't forget to put red light or shiner on it. This will void warrenty ofcourse and also centre of gravity will be up and behind.

Well its really easy to fit it but the thing is that the passion now is to avoid keeping it on the door. Some modifications like high strenght rear door hinge is required and the wheel carrier can be got as safari spare part also don't forget to put red light or shiner on it. This will void warrenty ofcourse and also centre of gravity will be up and behind.
yeah!!thats right!!..it will need few more changes on the rear door!...but also the scorp's rear door's design is bit diff...means it has No.plate on the middle of it!...so he will need to change its position too!smiley1.gif

yea, as designersf said, its fitted on seperate holder which is fixed near the hinges and supports are given on the boot door. so ultimately the boot has to carry the weight.

anybody in mumbai carrying out such modifications with expertise?

i enquired with one mechanic who has done this on a tavera and still advises me to refrain from such a job. he adds that though the job on the tavera was done in the best possible way he could (he changed hinges, added struts and what not!) as the customer was not on any specific budget but still the customer is facing trouble of the rear door squeaking...