i10 1.1L: 80 kmph okay during 'break- in'?

Hi

I have a new i10 1.1L Dlite car. It will be in the 'break-in' period for another 1500 km. Just want to know if I can I do up to as much as 80 kmph on a decent highway (in 5th gear) in the 'break-in' period? The owner's manual recommends engine speed < 2000 rpm, but I have no way of knowing if 2000 rpm is exceeded at 80 kmph.

Thanks.

Hello Vijay!..and welcome to AUTOCAR India forums!

Well, in the starting or "break-up" period of car its better to drive in the economy point only in city that it about 50-60kph only!..and i think on highways also you don't need to drive much fast in "break up" ..i think its better to maintain the speed between 60-70kph only!..by the way does your car have a tacho?? smiley1.gifvibhor2008-11-04 09:50:32

Modern cars can easily take 90-100kph (or more) during the so called run-in. The engine tolerances and quality are far better. 80kph was the figure in the days of the good 'ol Amby and Padmini.  Just remember do not drive for long periods of time at constant speed. You should take your foot off the pedal for a few seconds ever so often. 

sgiitk2008-11-04 10:31:31

During the run-in or break-in period 80kmph is good, but you should make sure that you are not straining the engine at any gears.

@sgiitk Why is that You should take your foot off the pedal for a few seconds ever so often. Plz explain this...

Dr.Vijay ,,you dont have to worry much about that..500 kms is the max,,after that you can speed up..I totally agree with Mr. Sanjay Gupta,,its not like old days of amby ,,now days engines are proper run-in before installing in the cars so there is not much to worry...smiley20.gifyou are good to go...

Mr Vijay Tachometer is standard in Magna model of i10 ,,not in Dlite or Era...

Just remember do not drive for long periods of time at constant speed. You should take your foot off the pedal for a few seconds ever so often. 

why is that pl sgiitk?

The idea isto encourage oil circulation. If you drive at a constant speed it is likely that the oil flow patterns inside the engine is also stable. There could possibly be areas where the oil flow is poor. By taking your foot off the throttle for some time you disturb this equilibrium, and the oil flow takes place to other regions, which may have been starved earlier. Also, when you speed up again it ie quite likely that the flow [patterns inside the engine will be somewhat different.

Incidentally, oil in addition to lubrication also plays a vital role in cooling.

why is that pl sgiitk?The idea isto encourage oil circulation. If you drive at a constant speed it is likely that the oil flow patterns inside the engine is also stable. There could possibly be areas where the oil flow is poor. By taking your foot off the throttle for some time you disturb this equilibrium, and the oil flow takes place to other regions, which may have been starved earlier. Also, when you speed up again it ie quite likely that the flow [patterns inside the engine will be somewhat different.Incidentally, oil in addition to lubrication also plays a vital role in cooling.

thnks sgiitk for that informative reply

yes 80 kmph is quiet okay and it doesnt matters much...the engine wont catch fire if its driven at those speeds during run in and plus this is a modern car so it requires a run in for not more than 500 kms...so just chill and enjoy ur new ride !!!!

yes 80 kmph is quiet okay and it doesnt matters much...the engine wont catch fire if its driven at those speeds during run in and plus this is a modern car so it requires a run in for not more than 500 kms...so just chill and enjoy ur new ride !!!!

Will engine catch fire if it is strained during run-in period? If so why?

I've never heard of this before.