FuelRunGod

Maruti A-Star Test Drive Report

Good trailer review by FRG. Thanks a lot. It will help no. of buyers of new car.

Don't you think maruti should come out from the block: Rear seat comfort is not important?? None of their cars are for Rear seat ppl. Don't you think that we should have enough space for our spouse, parents, elderly kids when we are buying car? Do maruti thinks that family system is died in India??  After swift maruti has again proved that they can not manage the interior space with intelligence... What say buddy..

very nice review FRG.

@ Nitvit, agree buddy, maruti now needs to think abt its rear space with boot, no doubt new enngines with safety features are welcome but also it has to get that family car badge then a two seater car.

very nice review FRG.

no doubt new enngines with safety features are welcome but also it has to get that family car badge then a two seater car.

Very true...We Indians didnt gave up the family system and this is the reason why most of us want to have a car..Better Maruti can learn Interior space management from TATA..

BTW, FRG, thanks for changing the font. Short and sweet review buddy.. I like the interiors very much than the exterior looks..

krace2008-11-21 08:45:14

Thanks FRG for the sneak peek!                                                        

Exterior designing is modern & contemporary, Interiors too seem to be better & practical than Swift.                                                                              

Maruti has always done well on front seat space & that is what really matters, rear is for children, so less space is not a big drawback. Also as the car is meant to be used for inner City runabouts, small boot could suffice.One can't actually ask for more refinement from a 3pot motor! But ride & handling package seems sorted out.

Maruti has tall claims on FE which need to be asscertained & would probably be the deciding factor.

Any idea about deliveries/waiting period?

Maruti has always done well on front seat space & that is what really matters' date=' rear is for children,
[/quote']

Buddy,

The rear seat is not meant for Children all the time. Just for example, consider my case. My family consist of me, my sister and my parents. I was able to spend only 4 lacs and my requirement was a decent interior space and good mileage. I opted for XETA.. I'm quite satisfied with it.

If there was a car which satisfied my requirements from Maruti, Sure I would've got a Maruti only....My opinion is , If Maruti can build such good quality cars with great engines, Why can't they concentrate in Interior Space section and get more customers???

Agree, but seeing the modern Indian family system, which is turning Nuclear, rear seat occupancy is going to come in form of Kids!

Bigger built would have penalised on FE too.

Xeta/Palio/Getz/UVA are bigger category cars, can't match A-Star on FE front!

well its really true its only sometimes that you have 4-5 people on board,majority of time you travel alone only and thus i can buy the a-star cause for me rear seat space is not at all a bother...interiors are really cool and looks better than i10 both exterior wise and interior wise...i heard maruti has placed some insulation on the inside of bonnet as well....all reviews have stated that a-star has superb performance for a small car and 0-100 kmph of 14 secs sounds really superb !!!!

I had seen the A-star at the nearby showroom. I am 6.2' tall. I should say, after setting the driver seat way back, I did find a comfortable position. The steering wheel dint hit my knees, my long hands could comfortably control the gears and also I could comfortably reach the pedals. The driver comforst is something similar to Zen Estiloo.

Then, I also tried to fit my self into the back passenger seats. Even after pushing the front seat forward, I had to contract myself like the chinese guy in Ocean's eleven.  smiley18.gif There is absolute no space for adults...

My verdict:

A-star is definetly a self solo driving car.  The  passenger seat spacing of A-star can only be compared with that of Reva and considering this, its obvious how maruti got the 20kmpl mileage figure. I would say no other small car in the market that has so little passenger spacing.

Maruti could release a 2 door version of A-star i.e something like the 2 door fiat grande punto version. It would definitely be good looking and futuristic.

Overall plastic quality is good, looks similar to hyundai  standards.

I think the brand name Maruti, and also A-star being the brother of Alto would make the average Indian g for it blindly smiley1.gif

A-star does not have an RPM meter for lxi or vxi version. Its comes only in the Zxi.

And the pen drive Mp3 player which we saw in the advertisement is also missing.

thanks jbond830-thats news for most of us! The tacho is a must  for all cars. it costs a few thousand bucks extra . I do not know why they are so stingy on this issue.

I went to take a test drive of A Star today. I could not take the TD because a lot of customers were waiting for it and I did not have much time.

However, I stepped in the car and here is my opinion about the car-

the car looks good from most angles except for the rear which looks just OK. The front seats are comfortable and the dash looks pretty good with the two tone theme. However the quality could have been better. The integrated sterio looks pretty good and gels well with the dash. I am 5'9" and after adjusting the front seat I tried out the rear comfort. Contrary to what FRG has mentioned, I found the rear seat pretty comfy. the one majour grouse is the boot space which is good for nothing. My Wagon R's boot looks like of a sedan in comparison. Overall the car looked pretty good and teh VXI and the ZXI models are the best buy. I liked ZXI teh most. I has the ability to give tough competition to the I10.

Will try to have a TD to get the clear picture about its driveability and performance.

Excellent one FRG as always expected!!

hey all am a bit busy to have a look at the A star for the time bieng , but my dealer friend insists me to see it soon and he said he will get it to my place soon , so will take a few snaps of it and post them here and also give a small personal review of it!

Cheers!smiley20.gif

Maruti showroom is just nearby, so just walked over to have a look of the new baby!

Things that struck me- good legroom for the front seats, seating position is low, steering adjustment is needed, central consol is high. I did not feel  comfortable behind the wheel. Though this was just a short stint, did not take the car for a TD as lot of crowd was gathering to have a go.

Booking started today, whole amount is being asked to be deposited & delivery would take 10-12 days.

Really not sure why Maruti has priced the car so high....bang in the i10 territory.

The i10's interior is much better and justifies its price. What does this car do better than an i10? Performance? Fuel Economy? It has to beat the i10 in both of these areas to command such a price.