FuelRunGod

Maruti A-Star Test Drive Report

As a trademark, I never fall into the waiting trap, nomatter how good the product! True, Maruti should not try such antics on the people & if it can't provide nos. who can! They have all the infrastructure in place to meet demand, but this is their strategy!

When it comes to the A and B segment's...Maruti has it all covered. I have been seeing that Hyundai has to try very hard to please...but Maruti does it in a 'matter of fact' way. As far as the small car segment is Maruti is King. But as far as refinement goes...Hyundai rules, albeit a little costly than Maruti.

As a trademark' date=' I never fall into the waiting trap, nomatter how good the product! True, Maruti should not try such antics on the people & if it can't provide nos. who can! They have all the infrastructure in place to meet demand, but this is their strategy![/quote']

this is interesting. good to see buyers are becoming a whole lot more vigilant and critical of monopoly policies in this market. why indeed do we need to wait for months when suzuki products around the world are available off the shelf? I think Ferrari has this sort of waiting period, and last I checked, Marutis were no Ferraris.

Yes' date=' deliveries have begun & waiting period is only 3-4 days.

I test drove the car yesterday & must say that I was impressed with the car.
[/quote']

hey speed how abt sharing ur TD experience in a bit more detail with some information abt its new engine and boot space.......

I haven't TDed yet.... But i had a look into car in showroom..

U all guys have been seriously talking abt boot!!

I doubt really whether this car has Boot ??? ha ha ha...

Its just 129Lts & it wont even suffice keeping an trolley inside :(

I haven't TDed yet.... But i had a look into car in showroom..

U all guys have been seriously talking abt boot!!

I doubt really whether this car has Boot ??? ha ha ha...

Its just 129Lts & it wont even suffice keeping an trolley inside :(

Here is the Pic of Boot !!

maruti_suzuki_a-star_07.jpg

Source : Vicky.in

hey speed how abt sharing ur TD experience in a bit more detail with some information abt its new engine and boot space......

Offcourse! Here is a small account:

Looks- I found the looks to be modern/contemporary, catchy, chick! Boot design seemed to be the only downer.

Interiors- For me front legroom is ample(6.1ft. tall), but the central consol did foul with my legs(low cabin width) , dashboard design is good but positioning is a little high, which is going to make driving for short statured a little tough as front visibility is infringed. Steering is like Swift's, nice to hold, but no steering adjustment is again a downer. Tacho. positioning is retro, but bad thing is that its only available in top end Zxi variant.

Rear seat legroom is poor, atleast when front seats are pushed back. Boot space as everyone knows, is pathetic.

Engine/gearbox- engine is refined, revs. can be heard almost across the band.

This is inherent character of a 3 cyl. Otherwise engine is peppy & a real performer, mere tap of throttle makes the traffic dissapear. I did experience some lag in 2nd. gear, but it is good for ~ 80kmph! Though the jerky nature of 3 cyl. is not felt in the car, which is a big positive.

Gearbox is smooth & shifts are easy.

Ride/handling- Good, car seemed settled at high speeds & drive is confidence inspiring, unlike most Marutis. Suspension works fine, bumps & potholes are absorbed without drama. Steering feel & grip is ok, brakes on Zxi have ABS, which should have been provided across the range, but braking with ABS seemed satisfactory. Tyres are punny, so there is some loss of grip around corners.

FE- no idea, company claims ~ 19kmpl. Though mileage meter should have been provided.

Overall its a good car for small(nuclear) families & inner City runabouts. I don't feel that this car will set the sales charts burning as restricted space in the rear, small boot & relatively heavy price are going to prove huge deterrants.

Only high FE can resurrect sales for this car, if at all it is as high as the company claims.

FE is the Mantra these days, consumers are willing to overlook other aspects in lieu of FE. But my advise to would be A-Star buyers who are not in a hurry, would be to wait for a while, this is no diesel car, discounts should be abound in no time!

i dropped into an MS workshop yest..some creep stole the suzuki "S" signs off my SX4..got a chance to look at the a star..although i couldnt test drive the car..i  wasn't very impressed..i will just about give pass marks to the plastic quality..although i felt fairly ok in the driver's seat with my height, there was almost no legroom behind, unless you sit with folded legs...boot is pathetic..what is shocking is the lack of vertical depth..its too shallow..the rear headrests are useless too..they kept fouling against my neck instead of supporting my head. a strong enough whiplash can really damage the neck..

Overall, it is strictly for people under 6 ft in height.

MS is really targeting a select consumer base..

i dropped into an MS workshop yest..some creep stole the suzuki "S" signs off my SX4..got a chance to look at the a star..although i couldnt test drive the car..i  wasn't very impressed..i will just about give pass marks to the plastic quality..although i felt fairly ok in the driver's seat with my height' date=' there was almost no legroom behind, unless you sit with folded legs...boot is pathetic..what is shocking is the lack of vertical depth..its too shallow..the rear headrests are useless too..they kept fouling against my neck instead of supporting my head. a strong enough whiplash can really damage the neck..
Overall, it is strictly for people under 6 ft in height.
MS is really targeting a select consumer base..
[/quote']

someone was suggesting A-Star for a gentleman who is 6.2" which apparently is wrong. compared to A-Star, Spark is a lot better car which offers good FE too for what maruti claims A-Star is a star! additionally to FE, spark offers a lot of other benefits which buyers would consider!

I guess it is me you are reffering too! Why not take names rather than beating around the bush!

I would suggest you to please read my comments properly, I said "A-star has ample room for tall passengers upfront", to confirm this you can also reffer to TD review by FRG, that also says the same. Also, check for yourself, A-Star has acres of more room for tall passengers in front seats compared to the Spark & that is a fact.

On FE front, A-Star has Spark & other hatches beat by by a fair margin, figures are by ARAI, not by Maruti.

Overall, Spark has never made it big on sales & has been a slow moving product, sush strong recommendations are way OTT.

well i saw one Astar on road today and wasnt impressed with looks...Rear is of Swift while Front is neither agressive nor sporty or cute...So to me i10 still is much much much better and hyundai always have better build quality and marutis...although this car will sell well but i dont consider the sales to prove whether the car is good or bad coz indians are crazy after Marutis while there are very few countries where u will find this number of suzukis as in india...

I guess it is me you are reffering too! Why not take names rather than beating around the bush!

I would suggest you to please read my comments properly, I said "A-star has ample room for tall passengers upfront", to confirm this you can also reffer to TD review by FRG, that also says the same. Also, check for yourself, A-Star has acres of more room for tall passengers in front seats compared to the Spark & that is a fact.

On FE front, A-Star has Spark & other hatches beat by by a fair margin, figures are by ARAI, not by Maruti.

Overall, Spark has never made it big on sales & has been a slow moving product, sush strong recommendations are way OTT.

hey i couldnot recollect the name of who has mentioned it. thats the reason i couldnt mention the name and i didnt have the patience to go through the other thread to find who has mentioned it. beating around the bush was def not my intention, that was a sad comment though.

In that case it is okay, I thought you were being unduly sarcastic. but I guess I was able to get across the point that A-Star has ample of room for tall passengers in the front seats. Though it is a diff. story in the rear.speed2008-12-04 11:13:54

why should i be sarcastic, after all i consider the healthy arguments are the best workouts for the brain!

i may give it a thought to check out A Star myself to get this right however Spark is no way uncomfortable for taller ppl. i would still see Spark a lot better than A Star and your point that Spark has not sold in good numbers is incorrect.

Discussion/arguments are healthy till facts are not disputed! But then do you dispute FRG's/Autocars verdict too on the A-star, I have only reiterated the facts.

Atleast I could not fit in properly in the Spark, my legs/knees were touching the dash/central consol.

Why according to you Spark hasn't sold in nos. then, afterall there is some reason for its relative failure.

Its a fact that Spark has not sold in huge nos., no one can dispute this.

i would consider Spark sold in good numbers keeping the competition in mind. Marutis and Hyundais are the leaders of small hatch segment in India, ofcourse Spark had to enter with a lot of discounts and features that made it sell. Overall Spark is a good package with its features, free services, warranty and discounts. it has a decent FE and a very well powered AC. if the same motor was from Maruti it would have been sold like a piece of cake.

Slowly these new entrants will make Maruti realise that they have to bring in some quality products and stop selling by just boasting about their service network. Maruti has seen the good times and the turn to see bad times is not too far! honestly am waiting for the time!  
harryccc2008-12-04 12:55:29

whoa! a debate about facts and figures and how to interpret them....all this sounds very familiar.

About the a star, i must say that despite being 6'4'', i felt ok in the drivers seat..i guess thats bcoz of the seat travel..but as a result, the car turns into a 3 seater..

i dont see the spark faring any better for tall drivers..

and yes, i would dearly love to see maruti concentrate more on the quality front..they just dont match up to the hondas,hyundais or even chevys or fiats for that matter.