FuelRunGod

Fiat Linea Test Drive Report

@akj53in - quite right, and that's one of the reasons I never bought a Honda either (the other being the fact that there is no diesel option) - but they did offer us a 100BHP Vtec option, remember? and yes, no safety features at all which was ridiculous (the Honda salesman who visited me, when asked how a 10 lac car had no airbags or ABS when the Swift offered them, had the idiocy to tell me ''but you get the Honda badge'')

so yes I agree with your criticism. but I also feel Fiat should have given us a more powerful engine - even as an option, even at a higher price point. this is the least they can do if they are as committed to our market as you say - Skoda, for all their faults and their ridiculous prices, did at least that with the RS

I do think, if Linea becomes a success, Fiat would bring in a sporty version of the car with higher capacity engine. But bringing in 500 & Bravo have been diversionary IMO.

After having driven a BMW with automatic transmission for few months in UK., I now love a powerful car, FE be damned. I am not at all defending FIAT Linea with a 94 BHP engine. They have merely taken a safe route as I think more than 95% of Indian customers prefer FE over engine power so cant really blame them.

Although people like Mehul, Diabolo, Speed and all other power loving members of this forum form a very small percentage of the market but the car makers must introduce powerful models and our tribe of power loving customers will grow exponentially.

I fully agree with Mehul that a car costing around 10 lacs should be more powerful.

And Diablo, in my case also, Honda sales man had the audacity to tell me that I would be getting the Honda badge (while he did not have any answers to my questions about lack of features on City)

akj53in2008-12-01 17:52:44

And Diablo, in my case also, Honda sales man had the audacity to tell me that I would be getting the Honda badge (while he did not have any answers to my questions about lack of features on City)

hahahaa! I can't believe they fed us this trash - and to everyone else too! I asked my salesman if the Honda badge inflated in case of an accident, and he looked very confused. but nothing beats the Optra salesman in Mumbai (dealership off the W Express highway) who told me that the 1.6 Optra, unlike the 1.8, did not come with airbags as the smaller capacity engine did not require it.

yes, these morons sell us cars.

so what could possibly FIAT do to spruce up performance?

i think i got the answer- ABARTH LINEA!!!!!
but highly unlikely for sure

good idea, but if I was to spend money on mods by Abarth I'd only do it with a 1.9 diesel as a base

If FIAT can supply this interior with rest of car with matching quality, I am willing to place an order. The exterior however is too flashy for my taste.

If FIAT India plays its cards well, they have the fire power in Linea to shake up the Indian car market in its segment with 20% overlap both ways.

though both new city and linea looks great, i cant tell which one is better but linea seems to better overall package to me except for A.S.S...more importantly quality of interiors will be much better, it will be very strong being a fiat and ride quality and handling will fantastic...so if base is started at good price for both petrol and diesel it will affect Sx4 and City for sure...

Great Car it is going to be but does not serve my purpose. They should have given us a powerful petrol engine option (I think the turbo 1.4 ltr with 150bhp) like I have mentioned in some other thread. I already have a 100bhp car, I would be out of my mind to downsize! I think this is the only chink in the Linea's armour otherwise its a superb all rounder.

Great Car it is going to be but does not serve my purpose. They should have given us a powerful petrol engine option (I think the turbo 1.4 ltr with 150bhp) like I have mentioned in some other thread. I already have a 100bhp car' date=' I would be out of my mind to downsize! I think this is the only chink in the Linea's armour otherwise its a superb all rounder. [/quote']

I find myself in agreement with 5ubz3r0. I had a palio 1.6 to drive around years ago and that was 100BHP. seems a shame to pay double now for a car that only puts out 90 - refinement and fuel economy notwithstanding, let's see an option for the enthusiast. that's not really asking too much, especially (as the Skoda RS and Honda Vtec have proved) when people are willing to pay

Which is a good thing for the Linea, as India is a country where FE is GOD!! But they should give an option of a powerful engine for enthusiasts for whom FE is not everything in a car. All car manufacturer's should do this for cars costing upwards of 5 lakhs.