FuelRunGod

Fiat Linea Test Drive Report

As per the ACI page, price difference between petrol and diesel Linea ranges between 92,000 to 1,14,000 for the top emotion pack, which appears to be very high and buying a diesel Linea does not make sense atleast to me.

I have not done any calculation as such, but buying a diesel Linea will make commercial sense to only those who are driving over 2500 KMs per month.

The pricing is really very good..

Well Bornfree has already given the link but i am directly putting up here..

We've already brought you the juice on the excellent new Fiat Linea, on how we love its style, ride and handling and the interiors. Well, it gets even better. The icing on the cake of this mid-size Fiat, is its pricing.

The Linea will be available in five trim options - Active, Dynamic, Dynamic Pack, Emotion and Emotion Pack, with either diesel or petrol power. While the Active petrol will retail for Rs 6.19 lakh, ex-showroom, Mumbai, the top-of-the-line Emotion Pack diesel will cost Rs 8.36 lakh.

The car will be available in a total of six colours, three of which will be available immediately at launch. These include Flamengo Red, Perla Champagne and Hip Hop Black, while a little later buyers will have the option of Fox Trot Azure, Medium Gray (pictured) and Vocal White.

The Linea boasts an impressive specification of standard equipment, but airbags are available only on the top-line Emotion pack, while the base Active doesn't even get ABS. All five versions however will be available with 15" wheels, wearing 195/60 boots, but only the Emotion Pack will have alloy wheels.

Given the breadth of the Linea's talents, plus the excellent choice of variants and the killer pricing, this should be a car which will redefine the C-segment. With Fiat pushing to provide good service, which will be key to the company's success, it really looks to be a very happy new year for Indian car buyers indeed.

Petrol Diesel
Active 6.19 7.12
Dynamic 6.51 7.43
Dynamic Pack 6.80 7.72
Emotion 6.92 7.82
Emotion Pack 7.22 8.36

* all prices in lakh rupees, ex-showroom, Mumbai

ACI..

Well can anybody tell me the petrol engine specifications..

We are planning to buy this car..

ohh man!!...great news!!...thats mouth watering pricing!!....base - Active for just 6.19 -7.12!!great!!...great work FIAT!!....now all FIAT needs to do is to improve its service quality!....it seems like the Linea is going to be a hit!smiley4.gif

FIAT LINEA REACHES DEALERS!

Fiat India Automobiles , the joint venture of Fiat and Tata Motors, has despatched the first batch of 100 Lineas from its plant in Ranjangaon near Pune.Targeting at the premium C-segment, Linea have already reached 50 of the 65 dealerships under the Tata Fiat brand across the country.

More Lineas will be seen in these outlets in the coming days even though its official launch is in mid-January.Early despatching of cars to the showroom, is clearly part of a brand building approach intended to pave the way for a faster booking schedule.

The Linea will be available in both petrol and diesel versions.Linea is considered to be more significant because it is the first manufactured model from the Ranjangaon facility in contrast to the Cinquecento (Fiat 500), which is directly imported and costs a handful thanks to the 100 per cent plus import duty.

The next model that will be part of the manufacturing agenda is the Grande Punto sometime in the first quarter of 2009-10. Prior to this will be the Bravo which, like the Cinquecento, is also being imported. Fiat is seriously looking at Ranjangaon as a strategic global base for small cars. The plant could also be home to the affordable car, which is now at the drawing board stage. This car is intended for Europe but will not sport the Fiat badge.(vicky.in)

vibhor2008-12-31 06:04:05

Well thats a good news and i think i will go today to check out the car, if they say that the car is already dispatched..

Well does anybody knows the difference in features between emotion and dynamic..

And what are the engine specifications of petrol engine? 

As per the ACI page' date=' price difference between petrol and diesel Linea ranges between 92,000 to 1,14,000 for the top emotion pack, which appears to be very high and buying a diesel Linea does not make sense atleast to me.

I have not done any calculation as such, but buying a diesel Linea will make commercial sense to only those who are driving over 2500 KMs per month.

[/quote']

Why are you stuck with this price per kilo concept? For that matter, I would buy the 1.4L 120bhp T-jet petrol engine even if it were 1.5L costlier than the 77bhp 1.4L petrol engine. We pay for the driving experience as well.

Hi FRG, just wondering why ACI managed Linea MJD to do 0-100 in more than 15 secs. ACI reports 6.1 secs for 0-60. Then 9 secs from 60-100 or  almost 5 seconds from 80-100 is poor driving according to me.

ACI reports that Linea MJD would pull strongly to 5000rpm in first and second gear, which means, it is very quick upto 63.8 (= 12.76 * 5) kmph. At 63.8kmph, the rpm if we have to shift to third gear will be 3236rpm (= 63.8 / 19.72). Linea MJD torque falls to half of the peak by 4750rpm and there is hardly any rpm left after 3236rpm and not a good gear if racing till 100. Moreover, Linea MJD's 4th gear ratio is so close to the third and at 63.8kmph, the engine torque in 4th gear would be almost 200Nm at 2300rpm (= 63.8 / 27.75). In fact, Linea would accelerate better in 4th gear than 3rd gear if the third gear is going beyond 4250rpm, because the loss in engine torque in 3rd gear is so much compared to the gear ratio in 4th gear and corresponding engine torque in the 4th gear. In other words, beyond 83kmph, 4th gear would accelerate better than 3rd gear in Linea. If there is any benefit of acceleration time in third gear from 64-83kmph, that benefit would be lost to an imminent gear change to 4th gear after 83kmph.

The best 0-100 or 0-120 in Linea MJD should be done in this fashion:

1st gear till 4750rpm i.e. till 32kmph

2nd gear till 4750rpm i.e. till 61kmph

4th gear upto 130kmph for best 0-130 timing

for best 0-X, where X > 130, shift to 5th gear earlier at 115kmph (i.e. at around 4300rpm), because 5th gear is also very close to 4th gear ratio and we don't have another 6th gear to jump from the 4th gear red line.

As per the ACI page' date=' price difference between petrol and diesel Linea ranges between 92,000 to 1,14,000 for the top emotion pack, which appears to be very high and buying a diesel Linea does not make sense atleast to me.

[/quote']

Why are you stuck with this price per kilo concept? For that matter, I would buy the 1.4L 120bhp T-jet petrol engine even if it were 1.5L costlier than the 77bhp 1.4L petrol engine. We pay for the driving experience as well.

you have misunderstood my posting. People in India buy diesel engine cars solely for the purpose of better fuel efficiency. As my useage is only about 1000 km per month, I dont see any sense is paying that much premium over the petrol engine which is equally powerful.

And yes I will pay extra for a more powerful engine and (if available) for a auto transmission also.

With due respect to you, I also happen to appreciate driving experience as I own and drive a BMW 525i automatic in U.K.

FRG - I noticed this in a post earlier on this thread - It says that the service interval  for these cars is going to be like 15000Km !!

Isn't that a lot of Km's in India ? smiley1.gif Or they have a lot of confidence in their cars!!

Does this mean that they recommend an oil change interval of 15K Km too ? Must be using synthetic oils from day 1 smiley32.gif

Steep price difference in petrol models are acceptable, as they have 2 engine options 77bhp and the T 120bhp. Why is the diff. so steep between diesel engines as well. They just got a 1.3MJD and have not brought in the 1.9Tjet.

FRG - I noticed this in a post earlier on this thread - It says that the service interval  for these cars is going to be like 15000Km !!

Isn't that a lot of Km's in India ? smiley1.gif Or they have a lot of confidence in their cars!!

Does this mean that they recommend an oil change interval of 15K Km too ? Must be using synthetic oils from day 1 smiley32.gif

Means, the lesser you visit Fiat dealerships for service the better for you. Probably, Fiat want's to maintain a 'distance' when it come's to service.smiley36.gif

Well said DD smiley36.gif . 15k is pretty big period. But I think Fiat has done enough research already. Because Linea is their car that is going to bring their brand back and they won't play with it. They should be very confident on their product to give this.

For users like us, 15k service interval is a gift. We have serviced our Logan 5 times(10k interval each) in one year.

I bet there's some fine print involved with the 15K km service period - like an oil change somewhere in between this "service period" (I know toyota likes to do that in some countries).

15K km is way too long an oil drain interval - especially in what manufacturers like to call "extreme comditions" - namely - stop and go traffic and short trips.

Anyways - gotta go looking for a test drive and see how hard are the tata dealers trying to sell it smiley1.gif.

Anyone hear of any discounts (I bet its too early to even think of such a thing) smiley9.gif ?

Well i think even Skoda has 10k interval for service, 15k for service is definately a long period..

Well anybody saw any Linea's at TATA-FIAT delaerships or is it not yet reached there??

M waiting for this car..

Well id ont think that Safari has 15 k Km interval, imagine what will happen to safari if its not taken to Hospital i mean service stations..

Till date i think only VW and Skoda have long period intervals between service..

...Till date i think only VW and Skoda have long period intervals between service..

No buddy, as far as I know all the modern diesels(Logan, Swift. Indica Dicor) have 10k service interval. And Fiat has tried a litle more.
Crazy cat2009-01-09 17:23:08

I saw a new Tata/FIAT showroom in the outer ring road.. FIAT logo was huge in red... They have Silver coloured Linea parked inside facing the road and last night under lights it was glittering..