dtandon

Overheating Maruti 800

Hi all,

My Maruti 800 (Type 2 Carb model) has done 100K km's and I have been having overheating problems with it in slow moving traffic for the past 10K km's. The temperature neddle rises all the way to the "H" mark.

The engine has no problems and the head gasket seems ok(no water in the oil and vice versa).

I've also had the radiator cleaned and the thermostat valve and the radiator fan switch have been replaced with genuine spares. There is absolutely no visible leakage anywhere in the cooling system. Proper coolant water mix is also used. I've checked the fan operation with the car parked and the fan seems to be operating normally.

Please advise - I taken the car to several dealers in bangalore but no-one is able so solve the problem. The thermostat valve was also removed but that did not help. The car does not overheat in fast moving traffic - which makes me suspect the fan - but it seems to be working (I can hear it switch on while driving)

Thanks for your help.

When was the last time the engine oil was replaced??

If you stay somewhere near Hebbal try to get it checked in BOSCH service station in Kodigehalli Gate.

I had some similar issue with my diesel car andgot it checked there. My car is as good as new now!

Cheers!

It does not have an AC - just the factory fitted heater.

I've been having the problem for more that 10000 km now smiley19.gif.. The engine tuning has been checked at 3 differrent maruti dealer workshops in Bangalore - but it just keeps on overheating. The engine has good power and gives a good mileage (14 in city - 19 highway). Petrol from diferent "Pure for Sure" pumps has been used as well.  Does anyone know a good place to get the distributor tested (its a Lucas) for proper centrifugal and vaccum advance? 

Could it be a leaky head gasket ? I have checked the coolant and engine oil regularly and there is no sign of mixing (no oil in coolant and no signs of water in the engine oil). 

I fear maybe its time for an overhaul then!

Alternatively try doing the fan direct ie. on all the time.

Check hand brake, sometimes it lies semi engaged, putting extra strain on the engine.

The engine runs fine otherwise - I can drive at 90-100km/hr speeds on the highway for hours nonstop without it overheating. The temperature controlled radiator fan switch in the radiator was replaced for about 1000 Rs by a maruti dealer. But that did not solve the problem.

Does anyone have specs for that switch from a service workshop manual so that I can check the switch with a thermometer - a pot of boiling water and a multimeter in my kitchen ! smiley2.gif

am sure you have paid for the service at Maruti dealers, but ultimately the issue is not resolved yet. Why dont you take them for a ride, if they are not able to resolve the issue after so much of bills to you, they must refund the money, after all they have won the Customer Satisfaction for so many consecutive years!

am sure you have paid for the service at Maruti dealers' date=' but ultimately the issue is not resolved yet. Why dont you take them for a ride, if they are not able to resolve the issue after so much of bills to you, they must refund the money, after all they have won the Customer Satisfaction for so many consecutive years! [/quote']

That is indeed an option - but the fact that I've taken my car to

different service stations (because it just kept overheating) gives

them a great excuse to pass the buck and shrug off the problem saying -

"the other guys must have done something wrong".

The last resort seems to be to change the head gasket - "it may be leaking exuast gasses into the cooling system" - but no workshop is seems to be able to guarantee that changing it will fix the problem.

HI,

Allow me to suggest few things .

1. Please get the cylinder head removed and ask the mechanic to check for any hairline injury on the inside of the cylinder body and also on the piston outer wall.

If there is a minute damage it would be the most obvious reason.

This could be solved by re-boring the engine ....would cost you a lot.

2. The simpler reason could be : there is something wrong with the temperature gauge, get that replaced and see if this works. The car temperature generally increases in stop go kind of traffic but this high reading is not ok.

3. Avoid keeping the clutch engaged during the stop go traffic....Shift to neutral as often as possible.

4. Stop over revving the engine when stationary at any red light..I have seen people have this tendency.

HI' date='

Allow me to suggest few things .

1. Please get the cylinder head removed and ask the mechanic to check for any hairline injury on the inside of the cylinder body and also on the piston outer wall.

If there is a minute damage it would be the most obvious reason.

This could be solved by re-boring the engine ....would cost you a lot.

y.

[/quote']

Are you suggesting a leak in the cylinder block itself ? smiley11.gif wow! that would hurt the pocket.. (fingers crossed). What makes you think its that ?

2. The simpler reason could be : there is something wrong with the temperature gauge' date=' get that replaced and see if this works. The car temperature generally increases in stop go kind of traffic but this high reading is not ok.

[/quote']

I know its not a bad temperature gauge because the engine actually got hot enough to start knocking - this happened a couple of times  - and I am loosing coolant.

I might have to take a chance and just replace the head gasket first.

1. Only friction inside the engine can cause overheating to such extent. may be you managed to rev the engine high in early morning start ....so this could be possible .

2. You said you are losing coolant....please tell me if you see coolant leaking from the car and if there is leakage than from which part. of cooling system.

2. You said you are losing coolant....please tell me if you see coolant leaking from the car and if there is leakage than from which part. of cooling system.

There's no visible "leak" anywhere (water pump, radiator, heater core, hose pipes, engine block) but it sometime starts bubbling out from the coolant resorvoir on the side. I can see coolant drops on the battery and the underside of the bonnet.

Better stop using the car  when its overheating. The engine may wear out soon in such cases and its better to check the timing, pistons/rings, tappet by a good mechanic. Or else, in Marutis the pistons and engines wear out quite fast and this may catch you unaware and you may end up paying heavily for an engine overhaul job.

There's no visible "leak" anywhere (water pump' date=' radiator, heater core, hose pipes, engine block) but it sometime starts bubbling out from the coolant resorvoir on the side. I can see coolant drops on the battery and the underside of the bonnet. [/quote']

Possible scenarios:

1. During the last coolant change your mechanic left air inside the cooling system. This caused excessive pressure in the system when the car started and because the air expands more as compared to coolant liquid it damaged some component of the cooling system like some stoppers and some joints. This is causing leakage in the cooling system and the leakage point is close to your battery so look carefully and replace the part that has been damaged.

2. Some components of the cooling systems are worn out and are causing leakage and thus reducing the pressure in the cooling system. check for that and replace.

Possible scenarios:
1. During the last coolant change your mechanic left air inside the cooling system. This caused excessive pressure in the system when the car started and because the air expands more as compared to coolant liquid it damaged some component of the cooling system like some stoppers and some joints. This is causing leakage in the cooling system and the leakage point is close to your battery so look carefully and replace the part that has been damaged.

2. Some components of the cooling systems are worn out and are causing leakage and thus reducing the pressure in the cooling system. check for that and replace.

Thanks Vivek- I'll again check for trapped air before driving it tomorrow..  Whats the correct procedure for bleeding out trapped air ? (I've heard several versions)

Other than that - every component where the coolant circulates (except the Cylinder block and head itself) has been checked out and no leaks were found.

Could you please hold on for tonight ...I will post a detailed procedure tomorrow.

Rgds

Vivek

Certainly.. Thanks, I appreciate your help - I should mention that it has a second radiator for the interior heater as well. Since that's located high up in the dashboard - it might have air stuck in it.

Goodmorning,

Here are few steps to refill your car coolant.

1. Unscrew the outlet on the top left of the radiator.

2. Drain the coolant completely, use air pressure if thats available or you might use your lung power.

3. After making sure that the coolant is drained out. Close the outlet, but not completely just leave it slightly open for air outlet.

4. Pour the specified coolant into the coolant reservoir, but don't pour the entire quantity in one go.

5. Start your engine and let the coolant circulate in the system and then pour the entire coolant thats left.

6. Close the coolant reservoir lid, let the engine run for some time with the outlet slightly unscrewed(from step 1)

7. Keep the engine running till the time the radiator fan starts running at full speed.(A radiator fan generally has 2 speeds).

8. You will see air bubbles coming out of the outlet. Keep it open till the time there are no more air bubbles.

9 Close the outlet tightly after making sure that all the air has escaped.

I think this should do.

get the radiator fins cleaned with compressed air...dust and dirt accumulated over time might be hampering smooth airflow....

if the problem still excists, my suggestion is to change the radiator fan to the higher wattage one of 800 dx a/c (std model has lower wattage fan).

Goodmorning' date='

Here are few steps to refill your car coolant.

1. Unscrew the outlet on the top left of the radiator.
2. Drain the coolant completely, use air pressure if thats available or you might use your lung power.
3. After making sure that the coolant is drained out. Close the outlet, but not completely just leave it slightly open for air outlet.
4. Pour the specified coolant into the coolant reservoir, but don't pour the entire quantity in one go.
5. Start your engine and let the coolant circulate in the system and then pour the entire coolant thats left.

6. Close the coolant reservoir lid, let the engine run for some time with the outlet slightly unscrewed(from step 1)

7. Keep the engine running till the time the radiator fan starts running at full speed.(A radiator fan generally has 2 speeds).

8. You will see air bubbles coming out of the outlet. Keep it open till the time there are no more air bubbles.

9 Close the outlet tightly after making sure that all the air has escaped.

I think this should do.[/quote']

Thanks - My radiator didn't have a bleed valve anywhere on the top (checked both sides)

So I tried to bleed the system with the radiator cap open - I still had bubbles coming out after 15 minutes of running the engine at various speeds. The themostat should have opened by then. Repeated this for another 15 minutes with the front of the car jacked up (so that the radiator cap was the highest point in the cooling system and all air would flow to it)..still had bubbling and foamy coolant.  

Saw a couple of drops of oil smiley11.gif after I revved it a little harder - and the coolant came flying out of the top of the radiator followed by white steam - seems to me that I have a leak in the head gasket !

Anything else I can try before I get the head opened up ?