FuelRunGod

New Hyundai i20 Test Drive Report

with no offense...

Premium hatch is not only space!

Its performance ' date=' style, handling , stability@ high speed etc. it shd be a complete package.

if one  need only space .. better to go for a stationwagon.

Swifts downsize is only little less bootspace and interiors but it is outpasted with its performance, pickup, handling, and amazing stability.

its fun to drive and exciting.

I dont think its worth spending close to 6 lakh just for a 1.2l powered i20.

what to do with six airbags if the vehicle doesnt have power.

[/quote']

I completly agree with you. Other than Space, Swift is better in performance, pick up, handling, stability and not to forget FE(diesel). 6 Airbags is just a feature to attract customers. They might have given this just to divert customers attention.

i20 is overpriced actually. If 1.2l petrol retails this much, then how much will the 1.4l petrol and diesel costs?

JEEEESUS CHRIST!

A high powered engine is not a prerequisite for airbags..where did this logic come from?
For all you know, you could be stationary and a truck could hit you from the sides, the front or the back..Maybe then the importance of 6 airbags will be clear..
Instead of lauding Hyundai for giving these safety features, were raining down criticism on them..
As for the engine, Hyundai didnt really have a choice, did they? They could have given us a 1.4l engine, said ta-ta to the excise duty cuts, forced to price the car around 40-50k higher and have the i20 labelled as 'overpriced'..Had that been the case, they need not have launched the car in the first place..
Instead they had to give us the 1.2l engine which i agree is not ideal for the car..
In the end they had to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea..
I think for the kind of features it comes with, the superb overall quality, spacious interiors...4.8 lakhs is a fair price..
Theres no free lunch out there, nor is Hyundai on a charity drive..Features and good quality come at a cost..

Man,

Hyundai is actually playing with the space and features concept.

I didnt mean to undermine the safety feature of 6 airbags, but it cant be a justification for overpricing. Even swift ZXI have 4 airbags, and has the best in class features which no other car has offered when it launched.

Remember ABS with EBD an Airbags:- Swift was the one revolutionary product in the segment.

Nw when the premium hatch war is on n other companies seeing the shift in consumer buying behaviour offering similar features and of course they can improve it to grab the market share.

I20 is doing the same.

but still they fall in the catch of Excise Duty and made the biggest mistake of putting a 1.2l engine.
FuelRunGod2009-01-08 05:42:33

Hyundai tried the same trick of feature packing its car with the Elantra too, but still it did not sell. The main reason is that Hyundai cannot sell in the premium category, atleast this is what is evident from the history & i20 doesn't have the heart(engine) to make an exception!

i20 is a good car, but priced high, Hyundai will have to rethink its pricing in time & bring in a diesel engine in a heast.

dear frnds i believe ...swift is soon to b replaced by 1.2 l kb series engine..so what hyundai has done today maruti will do tomorrow....and as far as stability issue is conceerned ....its clear laws of physics ...havier the weight ..better the stability ....to this... add better aerodynamics with regard to a more modern car ....for the higher price i just can say...AS FAR AS PRICE IS CONCERNED ...U HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR BETTER QUALITY....TELL U ONE INSTANCE ...ek din mera ek frnd mercedes ka poster dekh ke bola ..ye car kitne ki hai ..i said 30lac..fir bola ye average kitna deti hai ...i said 10kmpl...he said ..ABE FIR TO YE GHATIYA GADI HAI ..meri MARUTI 15 ka average deti hai...

NOW WHAT TO SAY TO SUCH PEOPLE .....

@bornfree, hyundai can't sell well in premium segments because, expectations and usage are high in that segemnt. And Elantra failed in reliability and did not withstand. Where as in hatch backs, people drive a little and many people sell it even before it reaches 50k. So people didnot get chance to get Hyundai's faults.

@rishi, interior quality is not the only thing that is going to do good to the car(and its reliability). Hyundai has poor reliability as far as mechanicals are concerned. Hyundai is clever, they give high quality interiors and make people believe that their product is of high quality.

If you want to waste money over a car thinking that it is of high quality, go for i20.

I just want to make clear that interior quality is not everything. And also i20 doesn't deserve that price.

EDIT:

@thisviraj, If not petrol, then Hyundai could've given Verna/Getz 1.5l diesel powerplant.

And how you are going to hit by a truck from the side. Are you going to park your car in the middle of the road in a junction.Crazy cat2009-01-08 16:29:27

The Swift ZXI is the one to beat. But i20 though refined and advanced will find it extremely hard to make a dent in the 'Swift' sales, at the high'ish price it demands.SWift ZXI come's only with dual airbags, not 4 airbags as mentioned by Bhalchandra.

EDIT:

@thisviraj' date=' If not petrol, then Hyundai could've given Verna/Getz 1.5l diesel powerplant.

And how you are going to hit by a truck from the side. Are you going to park your car in the middle of the road in a junction.[/quote']

I agree they could have given us a diesel..But after the Getz not having sold enough, they are probably a little cautious to dive headlong into the market with a diesel...a diesel version would have been about 50-60 k more expensive..u have to be damn sure about good sales if you wanna break even with the kind of investment that would have to go into it..its not so simple as removing the petrol engine and plonking a diesel...a lot goes into it, including money..business strategy isnt everyone's cup of tea or expertise..

And ya, u dont have to park the car in the middle of the junction to get hit from the side..theres a reason why all major companies give side and curtain airbags..thats becoz cars do get hit from the sides, as a result of which people have died...accidents happen when people least expect it, and in an unexpected manner..haven't you seen enough movies, photos, videos of accidents? 

U should have used your imagination a little more before saying that..

@bornfree' date=' hyundai can't sell well in premium segments because, expectations and usage are high in that segemnt. And Elantra failed in reliability and did not withstand. Where as in hatch backs, people drive a little and many people sell it even before it reaches 50k. So people didnot get chance to get Hyundai's faults.
@rishi, interior quality is not the only thing that is going to do good to the car(and its reliability). Hyundai has poor reliability as far as mechanicals are concerned. Hyundai is clever, they give high quality interiors and make people believe that their product is of high quality.
If you want to waste money over a car thinking that it is of high quality, go for i20.

I just want to make clear that interior quality is not everything. And also i20 doesn't deserve that price.

EDIT:
@thisviraj, If not petrol, then Hyundai could've given Verna/Getz 1.5l diesel powerplant.
And how you are going to hit by a truck from the side. Are you going to park your car in the middle of the road in a junction.[/quote'] Well buddy, i dont wanna get into this debate, but interiors as well build quality which makes a car stronger are much much much better with Hyundai if you compare it with MSIL...And i dont see any reliability issues with hyundai as well..And also if you are talking about Korean and japanese thing than also Koreans are better with Suzuki INDIA anyday, because what they are giving here is not the quality they are giving it outside, while other companies atleast give good quality but some companies fails to score when it comes to After-sales..And also Hyundai have better brand value and status than Suzuki globally...i know that japs are much better in all the aspects than Koreans, but this Jap manufacturer is not in the league of other Japs nor in india neither globally..To me Suzuki is shame on the name of Japanese companies.. so u cant always stick with one thing that Suzuki is japanese so its better..

As we have seen earlier that all the debates on this topic goes further, so am out of this debate, but quality factor is fact with Msil and nobody can deny it..And you said in other topic that problem with swift is only that it RATTLES..so to me Rattling is big issue and atleast to me its most important..I cant buy the car worth 5lacs which rattles...People buy cars worth Rs. crores, not for looks and features, but for quality ...

And again am not at all saying that Swift isnt a good car, its good with good handling, looks, After-sales, etc but the factors we are discussing like quality is better with Hyundai...Swift is good to drive but for me the car should be all-rounder, and to me Swift isnt Vfm, coz i cant pay this much which doesnt even have sufficient space..If only driving is concerned, well all know that its good car..
bluesapphire2009-01-09 06:56:11

I agree with you BS, but few things I'd like to mention about Hyundai's reliability.

Accent CRDi had a poor engine life. Even the Hyundai dealer agreed to me, when I asked him. After 100k, it'll give some big problems it seems. He said the reason for this is, Accent CRDi are always driven fast and that's why engine problems come. But is this a reason, are the Accents are driven in race track always?

The next example is Getz petrol 1.3l. One of my Uncle's client, who is a doctor has it. I've seen him driving, he has a decent driving style and never does aggresive driving. His Getz has done 35k and the engines pick up is very low. And the dealers have changed clutch, did some work in gear box , but only a small improvement was felt. Its pickup is only marginally better than my uncle's Matiz. 

The next is Elantra CRDi. My another uncle had it. After 1,10,000 kms, its pick up became bad, FE dropped and gave big service costs. Frustrated with this, he sold the car.
Crazy cat2009-01-09 17:43:56

All Hyundai's lend themselves well to a sedate driving style, don't like to be rushed, their engine are not screamer's, unlike the Honda engine's which are real screamer's. It all boil's down to weight of the right foot. I have ridden in one of my relative's Toyota Innova diesel, the driver was just superb, he put his foot down right from 1st gear, although with much dexterity, the vehicle handled like a toy in his control. It was firm and gentle at the same time, and the passenger's didn't get jostled about, and they could carry on with whatever they were doing, confident with the way they were piloted. Ultimately, I feel, it depend's who is at the helm and what gear are you in, pickup is a relative term.... the same vehicle will handle differently in the hands of a deft driver. My wife says she suffer's from 'vertigo' when she ride's with me..so much for my driving style.smiley36.gifFuelRunGod2009-01-12 06:21:55

JEEEESUS CHRIST!?A high powered engine is not a prerequisite for airbags..where did this logic come from?For all you know, you could be stationary and a truck could hit you from the sides..

I said the parking thing for this.

When you are hit by a truck at high speeds, even airbags can't save. You'll be crushed inside(as the cars body is very lighter than heavy vehicles). Even a Skoda can't withstand a truck at high speeds. Only while colliding with cars, the purpose of airbags will be useful and you'll be saved. But I agree with your part that 6 airbags is a good thing .Crazy cat2009-01-10 04:00:37

Ill say this again....there are no rules for accidents...they happen when u r stationary, when you are moving..My old santro was hit by a tempo while i was parked on the road..He swerved to avoid a cyclist and crashed into the driver's door..its a diff story that the car was unoccupied..thankfully!

as you can plainly see, there are no rules.

and i dont mean any disrespect, but to say that being hit by a heavy-vehicle at high speeds will result in certain death is being cynical..

If thats the case, why wear seatbelts too..u r gonna die anyway..

If these safety features increase my chances of survival by even 20%, i am all for it..

the level of safety features in cars today is phenomenal..crumple zones and airbags are tested not just with passenger cars, but also SUVs, LCVs and trucks and from all possible angles, at all possible speeds..

They are there to minimise chances of death..It doesnt mean they are effective always..but if a few extra lives can be saved, that a good thing ,right?

to conclude, ill put it this way....

in a car without airbags, even a slightly heavy impact with a heavy vehicle will injure you seriously, maybe even kill you..

with airbags, you atleast have a chance to walk away alive...

Safety features are the last line of defense..ones right foot is the first..baaki sab bhagwan bharose!

@BS: I agree, Swift is a good car in some aspects, but it was and will never be a complete car atleast for me! and MSIL!! i would never go for one which comes out of their factory!!

@Crazycat: Any car which has run 100k will bound to have issues with pickup, fuel efficiency, noise.. :) Accent CRDI is a diesel for god sake and diesels will give you issues no matter which car you buy and 100K kms!! How much more do you want it to run for??? Getz with low pickup i am not sure about it is it the new Getz prime? Elantra was not even a starter from Hyundai! so dont bother about that car buddy!!

EDIT: i20 is a pretty decent car. I do not think its revolutionary. Lets focus on dicussing about i20. Since we had enough talks about MSIL v/s Others.
sharash2009-01-10 06:09:50

@sharash, Running 100k is not a record actually. For many users, car is a necessity and they clock many kms. I've heard of a Qualis which did 500k.

My uncle's Qualis has done 140k and it is still doing good.

He has a Zen D, it has done 180k and the engine is still strong. Despite this old, it goes to workshop only for regular service. And this Zen had many drivers. My uncle is a rash driver, I've mentioned this before in another topic. Despite his driving, the car's engine is perfect.

Our old Amby, which we sold 2 years back had clocked nearly 180000kms.

If HM can do it, why can't Hyundai?

@thisisviraj, I mentioned already that I agree with airbag part.

I also agree with you. All my family members dumped their maruthi due to its inferior quality. In 2003 our family had more than 8 maruthi cars from 800 to Esteem, all of them is bad. (Esteem and Zen was little better than other models). Monthly twice or thrice I was in work shop ro replace the Handles or other plastic parts. Now non of my family member is having ,maruthi, this is due to maruthi's gooood quality?????????. We have 5 Hyundai, Ford Fiesta, Scorpio etc now not maruthi.

hey guys went to hyundai showroom yesterday to check out new i20.

as heard no vehicle to TD but was told would be available within week. Would load the pictures in one or two days but here's what i felt with this new car.

First look felt like a big and huge car with nice curves and lines built. Door handles and the noise of closing door was good. It was a white car Asta model. Interiors were good with purple and beidge combination with good rooms incabin. But didnt liked the steering positioned which was too close to my knees even with adjusting my seat and steering. Lots of gloves box space with chiller compartment inside. Keyless entry with ABS,EBD,Auto Climate Control, Two airbags in front, indash audio system with 4 speekers and two tweeters, were first of its kind in hatch found. Now with rear space its wider,long then fabia and swift and also getz but after sliding and adjusting the drivers sear, rears were not ample space and my knees were touching the drivers seat, nothing more then my indica, though wider so three can sit comfortable. Luggage space is big with 295L of space. Fog lamps in front and rear. Dual trip meter with ontime fuel available with distance to cover, another with mileage given, along with climate and time with date is good function to have. steering mounted audio controls with volume buttons and channel change funtions. Overall a good package with loads of features found in a hatchback with premium price. Onroads price in Ahmedabad are as follows:-

Magna - 543206/-

Asta - 631547/-

Asta(o)- 655835/-

There are inclusive all taxes prices. as per given by Planet HYundai.Ahmedabad.

One more thing i forgot to mention that rear seats can only be folded and not tumbled unlike indica and getz completely to get the complete space for luggage.

CHEERS!!!!

So, what you decided, are you gonna buy this ..

And i think you have alreasy uploaded some pics previously..

The same was the experience with me, when the seat were slided to its fullest, the rear seat was left with less legroom, but still the full seat travel was too much so i dont think that anybody will slide their seats to its full..

I found the car very good but yes it isnt as spacious as Fabia to me..

after checking out this car, yes i dont understand why people compare this one with swift, as it would be competing with fabia and upcoming cars from fiat,honda and toyota, BS i dont think before TD of i20 anything can be said.

guys, one more thing i want to know is that the asta model which i checked offers two front airbags, but they are not operated on automatic sensors but there's switch which needs to put on/off, on the front passengers side, unlike the weight sensors which gets enable in few seconds giving warnings for seat belts for driver and passengers, can anyone shed more lights on this please.

after checking out this car' date=' yes i dont understand why people compare this one with swift, as it would be competing with fabia and upcoming cars from fiat,honda and toyota, BS i dont think before TD of i20 anything can be said.[/quote']

Well yes this one should not be compared with Swift..But i guess as Swift provides features on Zxi, people are comparing with this but they do not see the segment or we can say space....Swift is a segment down..

No actually i didnt got any call, but my friend got call last week for TD but as he was outside, i think we will go this week for TD...He previously booked i10 sportz, but then after seeing i20, he got interested and decided to strech his budget..