FuelRunGod

New Hyundai i20 Test Drive Report

you cannot compare indica with i20 in any ways, but DD yes if you checkout i20 i too have mentioned that its positioning is too close to your thigh-knee suppert, even after adjusting the steering, but overall its a good package to find in one of its class, though was expected to come with 1.4 l engine and not 1.2 kappa ones, any test drive report guys...

i20, suffer's from a major flaw: no diesel and very underpowered petrol for it's asking price. I think they should have gone the whole hog and introduced a 1.4 petrol atleast, that way it would have had adequate performance. Hyundai is no Skoda, it's brand equity and driving dynamic's are such. People accept and pay a hefty price, for an underpowered Fabia, for it's brand equity and 'perceived' quality. Upkeep of the Hyundai will be far better and easier on the pocket than a Skoda. This doesnt get mentioned in any test drive. Basically, if the i20 can't pull cleanly with a full complement of passenger's and luggage, what's the use of having soo much space. I feel Hyundai have erred in launching the i20 with 'only' the Kappa engine. This avatar of the i20 must have been the rock bottom basic model with the 1.4 petrol and diesel, too. That way it would have been a great launch.

i20' date=' suffer's from a major flaw: no diesel and very underpowered petrol for it's asking price. I think they should have gone the whole hog and introduced a 1.4 petrol atleast, that way it would have had adequate performance. Hyundai is no Skoda, it's brand equity and driving dynamic's are such. People accept and pay a hefty price, for an underpowered Fabia, for it's brand equity and 'perceived' quality. Upkeep of the Hyundai will be far better and easier on the pocket than a Skoda. This doesnt get mentioned in any test drive. Basically, if the i20 can't pull cleanly with a full complement of passenger's and luggage, what's the use of having soo much space. I feel Hyundai have erred in launching the i20 with 'only' the Kappa engine. This avatar of the i20 must have been the rock bottom basic model with the 1.4 petrol and diesel, too. That way it would have been a great launch. [/quote']

absolutely right, in my opinion

Hyundai wouldn't have been able to price it below 5 lacs if it had launched it with the 1.4 petrol, i think the initial strategy is the same as that of i10, it first launched the i10 with the 1.1 engine and after it became a success it introduced the 1.2 kappa.

yes tanmay, agree with hyundai going with the same strategy they applied for i10, get in run in market with lower power, then let the bigger engine arrrive.But with this pricetag and low power its to be seen how is i20 accepted in market.

Hi everyone,

I am new to the Autocar India forums though I've been reading the magazine for so many years now. I am an active member on Team-Bhp.com too. I live in Chennai.

I recently had a test drive in the i20 Asta here and thought I would share my experience and what I felt about the car.

In my test drive of the Asta Option Pack version, just after taking car out from the Hyundai Motor Plaza showroom was a signal and then about 600m of straight road before a flyover started. I stood at the signal and on green, took off like a sports car - literally floored the throttle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In that 600m, I had already touched 80-90 kmph and had to brake to take the road on the left under the flyover and then a U-turn. The pick-up was ok at best and I did feel the engine to be sluggish in 2nd gear for sure. From about 20-25 kmph, it just didn't move. Then I turned off the A/C and floored it again. It moved a little and then gave a thrust and surged forward. I have felt this initial lack of pick-up and sudden surge (followed by superb acceleration in 2nd & 3rd gears) in our 1998 Cielo GLX (which is still the same even today - lovely) but that as I learned, was because it is an older technology SOHC 8-valve engine.

The i20 has quite a modern 1.2 litre DOHC 16-valve engine with 80 bhp output and I certainly expected much better acceleration than what it offered. We were totally 4 people in the car - me and the sales guy in front and my friend and his wife at the back.

However, I must mention the positives that I experienced in the car.

* Very spacious - Wow. This was a revelation. This car was more spacious than the Accent and Getz as I compared them at the showroom itself. Not sure whether it was more spacious than the Verna though. I sat in the new Verna as well, but couldn't tell. More or less the same space maybe. Legroom at the rear was very good as mentioned by my friend and his wife who were sitting at the back. I had adjusted my driver's seat perfectly for me to drive and they still had more than enough space to sit at the rear.

* Very refined engine - The engine was very refined and quiet. Couldn't tell that the engine was on even after starting the engine. And even when I ripped the car, at 80-90 kmph, it was not at all noisy inside the cabin. We could hear mainly the sound of the A/C blower since it was initially set on high.

* Excellent sound proofing - The NVH levels are very good in this car. It was so quiet. I am sure on a nice highway while cruising at 90-100 kmph in 5th gear, it should be very quiet.

* Good ride quality - The ride quality I thought was also very good. Immediately after braking before the flyover to take the road on the left, there was a very bumpy section (no tar; only dried mud) for about 20-30 metres before I could take the U-turn. The car handled very well in this section. Our Santro would have had the rear passengers jumping on their seats due to its hard rear suspension. But not so in the i20. It was very good. Almost like a boat - going up and down and before we knew it, the section was over and I had to take the U-turn.

* Very smooth clutch & gearbox - Oh the clutch and gearbox were just lovely. So light and so smooth. It was so much less tiring to drive this 5-speed manual due to the light and smooth clutch and gearbox.

* Tiltable & telescopic steering wheel - This was a very nice feature. I could become comfortable within a minute after I got into the driver's seat. The steering was very light at low speeds and started tightening up after 50-60 kmph. I could feel this.

I missed the height adjustable front seat belts though. I did not feel the need for it with my height (5'8") but it would certainly be useful for taller or shorter people, especially since the driver's seat height adjustment feature has been provided. Having a height adjustable driver's seat and no height adjustable seat belts is really silly. Wonder how a company like Hyundai could leave out this feature on an expensive car like this.

Overall I liked the car very much but as most of you would agree, the engine is a bit disappointing. It's very good for the city but for highway driving, I don't think it's got the grunt (especially for overtaking, driving on inclines etc). If we can put up with the lack of initial throttle response, maybe it's fine. But definitely not otherwise. Overtaking would be a pain in this car. The interiors had no fabric on the doors which is strange. Even our Santro XO Ltd Edition car has matching red and black fabric on the seats and the doors. The Verna also has the same kind of doors - just boards / plastic for the whole door. No fabric.

In comparison, we have superb velour upholstery in our 1998 Cielo GLX's doors and seats. When you rest your hands on the doors, it feels so soft and luxurious. Also the driver's seat is height adjustable and so are the front seat belts. At that time I think the Opel Astra and Daewoo Cielo were the only 2 cars to come with the height adjustable seat belts feature. The Opel Astra even had rear height adjustable seat belts.

I feel we definitely deserve a better engine after paying more than 6.2L for the car (Asta). I hope that they introduce the 1.4L petrol, 1.4L CRDi diesel and automatic transmission. I also hope they sort out initial issues (if any) and introduce the features that they have left out in the i20 1.2 version being sold now - eg Vanity mirrors, height adjustable seat belts in front, etc.

Warm regards,
Venkat smiley1.gif

Thanks guys. I have now begun to love writing such reviews / reports and my wife seriously asks me why I don't think of making a career out of it !! Hmm - "easy to ask and easier said than done" was what I replied to her recently.

I was expecting the i20 to be a fully loaded hatch with good petrol and diesel engine options (even though I wouldn't go for the diesel as my usage is not that high) but once I saw the launch specs with just the 1.2L engine, I was utterly disappointed.

Anyway the Getz doesn't sell that much. Why can't they get rid of it and position the i20 better, with more engine options ? I am sure then for 6.3L on road we should be able to get the 1.4L i20 fully loaded. Another 20-30k extra for an auto tranny. That would be fabulous. But would they ever do that ? Oh well .... guess we can only wait and see what Hyundai India has in store.

Warm regards,

Venkat

Hmm. That Zigwheels article says the 1.2L Kappa engine was pretty good and not all that underpowered. I would say, most normal users wouldn't feel it. Those who like that instant throttle response when we floor the gas pedal, would surely be very disappointed. The Zigwheels article says they were able to do 3 digit speeds quite easily and the i20 handled well too.

Now that I've read this article, maybe I should take another test drive to verify this. When I test drove the Getz 1.3 GLX in August 2008, I didn't feel this sluggishness. I did the same thing in that car too - floored the gas pedal in 2nd gear and then shifted to 3rd and floored it again. By the time I could glance back at the speedometer, I had already gone on to the airport road and the needle touched 90-95 kmph. I thought the Getz 1.3 GLX was nice and peppy, being very quiet and refined at the same time. Ride was fabulous and felt more like a bigger sedan.

Warm regards,

Venkat

Still not seen even a single i20 on road in my City & around!

Guess all the cars dispached are lying?with the dealers only' date=' not finding many customers.
[/quote']

The dealers should have created an artificial demand, as I read that there is a waiting period for it.

Well I have seen couple of i20's in Gurgaon and they look really good. But we should not expect this car doing volumes on road unlike Swift due to it's pricing as Indian hatchback market is still not that mature.

Well, the Indian market not being that mature is definitely true. And as for the volumes of i20, Hyundai itself as a company seems to have given much more importance to the export versions. Their priority seems to be only the export sales. That is why I guess only one engine option has been introduced in the Indian i20 along with some features being deleted in the Indian version. Who knows - they may launch the 1.4L petrol and 1.4L CRDi diesel during the later part of 2009. Let's wait and watch. I'd be picking up a car only by end of 2009 so I've got ample time to wait and get a good one :-)

One of my neighbour has bought an i10 yesterday' date=' as per him why to buy an 120 when you are getting the same 1.2L engine in i10 [/quote']

smiley36.gif yeah he's right as far as engine is concerned, but its just not the engine but a loads of new features which is first of its kind in a hatchback with safety features along with, though underpowered.

Yup that's absolutely right. Though the i10 and i20 share the same engine, the i20 has loads of features (esp in the Asta variant) and also drives differently. The gear ratios are different too. Plus loads of space.

Warm regards,

Venkat

In India, i20 would not serve as a 'second' car at that price, it would be first and only car at that price point. Plus the economic downturn will make people to be even more price sensitive. It's more a "niche" product than a mainstream car. A 'rich man's' second car would more often be a Fabia than an i20, as Fabia has better brand equity than Hyundai.

very true DD, but also now with space problems and traffic increasing more in out country, there are buyers who prefer to go for this luxury hatchbacks then sedans, but for second car for rich man yes its skoda which comes first in their mind as its brand image is better then hyundai.

One of my neighbour has bought an i10 yesterday' date=' as per him why to buy an 120 when you are getting the same 1.2L engine in i10 [/quote'] Well then why do people buy Dzire..Atleast similarities between i10 and i20 is its engine but rest other things are completely different, while between Swift and Dzire the only difference is of the ugly Boot, so its like your neighbour might have no budget for i20 and thus is satisfying himself by saying that both have same engine so whats the use of i20...Sorry i went off-topic but that comment wasnt appropriate...

so its like your neighbour might have no budget for i20 and thus is satisfying himself by saying that both have same engine so whats the use of i20...Sorry i went off-topic but that comment wasnt appropriate...

I think it's completely appropriate, and would agree. I think it's your speculating about his financial ability that's completely inappropriate.