umar_xec

alloy and tyre configuration

I have a baleno Lxi which is 15 months old. I want to improve its stability and appearance with respct to tyres.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I want to go for alloys of 15" and tubeless tyres of 195/60 R15 (present tyre size 165/80 R13).

I hope this configuration will increase my stability, driveability, marginal ground clearance and appearance but will increase my fuel consumption to a value of 2 kmpl.

If not can you please let me know the maximum size of alloys and tyre that I can go for.

What design and make of tyres are best suited for road and climatic conditions of Goa(humid and rainy)

Please guide me into this matter
FuelRunGod2007-10-08 17:19:08

wider tires reduce the economy but it is negligible .Go forAURA it is indias reputed brand and give various alloy rims to choose from . You can go for assymetrical tires as they suit your climate and i thinks that it rains more often.

Stay with 14 inches because it can change the readings of the odo .Dont go for more than 185/60/R14

Not necessarily. If the outside diameter is the same then the speedo will be Ok. That is why the upsize invariably has a lower profile.The wheel diameter will change by a negligible 10mm with the upsize proposed. 165/80 has a sidewall height of 165*0.80=132mm. 195/60 will be 117mm.

Let us work out the outside diameter of the wheel+tyre combo. A 165/80  on 14" wheel will be 132+14*25.4+132 =  619.6mm, while a 196/60 on 15" will be 117+15*25.4+117=615mm.  The difference is negligible So he is Ok here.

What he needs to sort out is that teh wider wheels do not foul up the wheel wells.

go for 185/70 R 14  Bridgestone Tubeless tyre.and for the Alloys go for AURA its from Hindalco(corect me if i am wrong) or else try the Plati.never goo for too much wider tyres cause it will affect the milage a litle bit.

Sagiit he is saying for R15 and small increase in diameter can give a huge amount of error and if he uses slim tires then the alloy can even crack in our roads and slow speed ride will be pathetic that why i recommand R14.

See if u can fit 195/70 Goodyears on 15'' alloys.

That will give the car a better look and improve handling/ride/braking at the cost of a little loss in mileage which is a fair trade off.

I have indigo and want to change those company fitted tyres which are bridgestone low profile the is u can feel even a single stone on the road and it feels as if the impact on road just hits inside the car. I would like to change to some high profile radisl which are comfortable. the tyre size is R14.

Sagiit he is saying for R15 and small increase in diameter can give a huge amount of error and if he uses slim tires then the alloy can even crack in our roads and slow speed ride will be pathetic that why i recommand R14.

Sorry my friend, you are wrong about the error!. The ultimate dia change is negligible. If we allow the tread to wear by 5mm then this will reduce the wheel diameter by 10mm, i.e. twice the error due to the upsize! The instruments are not perfect in the first place, and are calibrated only to within (if I remember right) +0 and -10%.

Going for the upgrade mentioned is very unlikely  to significantly increase the risk of wheel damage. I am not looking into ride quality, and the like, though I did mention in passing that one has to watch out for wheel well fowling. One can add that the steering will become more positive with smaller sidewalls. Many cars do have this upsize in the premium versions - City VTEC for one.

Just to add a small point, the old Zen originally came with 13" wheels. Maruti later replaced these with 12"  wheels due to rim damage problems.

hey buddy,

thanks a lot for ur valuable advice...ur answer have cleared my doubt...Even I am an automobile engineer but its always better to take an advice from others also....

but one concept is still not cleared...I will go for 15" 195/70 tyre configuration,dis will increase my ground clearance marginal by 12.5 mm but will give me sufficient cushion effect from road shocks....the subject which is pending is my tyre design...can v discuss further...?

195/70 - 15 will add 39mm to the overall diameter of the wheel-tyre combo over the 195/60-15, but only 34mm from the 165/80-14. It will mess up your speedo/odo calibration by about 5.5%! Even 195/60 will marginally increase your ground clearance since there is 'less' sidewall to flex!

My gut feeling is to go for the straight upsize i.e. 195/60-15. Just check there is enough space in the wheel well for the extreme steering positions.

Please tell us what you decide, and later the experience.

195/70 - 15 will add 39mm to the overall diameter of the wheel-tyre combo over the 195/60-15' date=' but only 34mm from the 165/80-14. It will mess up your speedo/odo calibration by about 5.5%! Even 195/60 will marginally increase your ground clearance since there is 'less' sidewall to flex!

My gut feeling is to go for the straight upsize i.e. 195/60-15. Just check there is enough space in the wheel well for the extreme steering positions.

Please tell us what you decide, and later the experience.
[/quote']

ya ur correct, there was error in my calculations....I thnk I should stick with 15" 195/60, that should not make much of difference...I expect the ride will be more rigid...Baleno vxi comes with 185/70, I thnk the manufacturers do have kept sum tolerance to fit 195/60 tyre..I will have to take a risk. 

Tire is the most important part of the car if the tires are wider then the FE drops and axial has to bear the extra load and it can even break which can be dangerous so we should not take risk with the tires

FRG can you guide him with safer tire specs.

better go for the R14 wider tubeless tyres

I appreciate ur suggestion,ofcourse 14 " tyre will give me better ride and handling quality, but my main odjective is to improve appearance of my car....

ha ha i have seen many youngsters here in my city ( one of the Karnataka city but cant tell here) putting those wide and low prifile tyres it looks ugly with tyres hangin out from the car

As long as there is no fouling of the wheel-well you should be Ok with the 195/60-R15. Just check in the extreme steering positions. The better steering v ride quality compromise has to be seen.

May be you take a look at the City (EXi/GLir v VTEC) to get an idea.

ha ha i have seen many youngsters here in my city ( one of the Karnataka city but cant tell here) putting those wide and low prifile tyres it looks ugly with tyres hangin out from the car

ya you are correct..it has no meaning in getting the tyres out...it infact harms the appearance and ride quality...there are numerous limitations with tyre mods...therefore I wanna do my best home work b4 making a purchase.

I thnk u r speaking of bangalore.