umar_xec

alloy and tyre configuration

I would go for the lightest alloys of a reputed brand.

Going from 165 to 195 (assuming that the wheel mounting stays about the same) will result in an additional 15mm on either side. Normally this should not make the wheel 'hang out'. If most of the 30mm is on the outside then things will be different. I am sure you can get the section of the wheels and work this one out.

The improvement in the road holding and handling with alloys is not to be missed. The use of alloys reduces the 'unsprung mass' the implications of which you as an auto engineer will well understand. Also, alloys are tougher than the pressed steel wheels and are not going to get bent out of shape.

alloy wheels  ,please select the reputed one like AURA / OZ , check the weight of your original tyre with existing  wheel & choose any good branded alloy & tube less tyre of your choice weigh them  , you should able to cut the weight .then you can feel the difference ,if you are picking wider tyre try maintaining the same weight .

Hi Umar,

I think going for the 15" wheels and 195/60/15, on a Baleno, is going to foul with your wheel well, make your steering heavy and going to spoil your ride and also increase your fuel consumption. Only thing that will improve will be the looks...if you want to improve looks above all else...go ahead. Also ask FRG, they dish out similar advice in their queries section, and I'm mirroring their opinion, hope I'm right. Over to you FRG.

Hey Umar,

Your correct upsize would be 195/55R15 and not 195/60R15. The baleno is a light car, high speed stability may still be an issue. But what you will get is better grip through the corners, better braking performance, slightly increased fuel consumption.

In sizes, you can go till 17inches, but as DD said, it might foul with the body. In my opinion, 15inch is a good safe upsize.

FRG
FuelRunGod2007-10-09 22:11:54

Hey Umar' date='

Your correct upsize would be 195/55R15 and not 195/60R15.

FRG
[/quote']

Just a comment:

The 195/55 in place of 195/60 will reduce the tread height by a further 9.75mm, i.e. the wheel dia by 19.5mm. Thus the wheel dia. is now 596mm as against 619mm for the standard 165/80-15 wheel, and 615mm for the 195/60-15 .

This is still less than 5% off, so I  guess it should be Ok.

You are absolutely correct.

Sorry, I misread it as 165/80-14 in the original post.. TThe dia of the standard wheel stands reduced by 25.4mm in my original calculation. The final diameter is 594mm and thus the 55 section tyre at 596mm is a perfect fit.

Hey Umar' date='

Your correct upsize would be 195/55R15 and not 195/60R15.

FRG
[/quote']
Just a comment:

The 195/55 in place of 195/60 will reduce the tread height by a further 9.75mm, i.e. the wheel dia by 19.5mm. Thus the wheel dia. is now 596mm as against 619mm for the standard 165/80-15 wheel, and 615mm for the 195/60-15 .

This is still less than 5% off, so I  guess it should be Ok.

thanks a lot frends...

What I have done is I have short listed my requirement, I have two options,
1) 195/55 R15

2) 195/65 R14

I assume second option will make more sense because higher profile height gives better stability and driveability, less road shock transfer to cabin, less possibilities of alloy failure due to cracks from sudden impact.

what you people have to say to this....Does it make difference...?

What I have done is I have short listed my requirement' date=' I have two options,

1) 195/55 R15

2) 195/65 R14

I assume second option will make more sense because higher profile height gives better stability and driveability, less road shock transfer to cabin, less possibilities of alloy failure due to cracks from sudden impact.

what you people have to say to this....Does it make difference...?
[/quote']

Back to the old story of total wheel dia

1. 165/80-13  has 594mm

2. 195/55-15 has 596mm

3. 195/65- 14 is 609 mm

Even the 3rd is only about 2.5% off, which is within the calibration tolerences of the speedo/odo as given by FRG.

So I will advise the 14" wheels. Going to 14" should be better than 15" in terms of the compromise of comfort.

Note to FRG: Is the European requirement of +0% to -?%  not yet applicable in India?

Stay with 14 inches because it can change the readings of the odo .Dont go for more than 185/60/R14

HELLO - COMPANY GIVES 185/65R14 IN VXi.

your configuration will shorten the tire height & adversely effect the car.

i think it is best to stick to company given VXi size mentioned above by me.
FuelRunGod2007-10-16 16:21:49