tushargok

Central locking & security systems

I'll be getting my Getz GLE on 6th Jan, I've purchased Getz GLE model. Car is not shipped with Central locking system. Can I fit Central locking for all 5 doors? and how much it should cost? or can any one tell how much roughly it should cost? I stay in Pune.

Hey congratulation for your Getz. It is really a superb car. I have one and I love it very much. You can definitely put Keyless entry in your Getz. I have company fitted Central lock, which cover 4 doors only. You can install c.L. which can over all 5 doors. Autocop, Xenos & Minda are good and it will cost you around 3k. All the best.

Yes, you can get it fixed for all the doors. There is a version which will even warm you if your bonnet is not closed properly. The good brands are Silicon, Autocop, Piranha and you can get one with decent features for about 4000.

Thank you everyone for such a quick reply. First I'm bit relaxed by the info that I can fit the central locking system in my GLE. Tomorrow I'll check the shops and as soon as I get my car I'll fit the system. 

I visited the nearest shop for Central locking info. The Shopkeeper told me to go for Central locking by "Hyundai" as it has built in clips and sockets to fit to Getz. As against for autocop wires needs to cut to attach. Cutting wires will void the warranty so he suggested me Hyundai central locking system! I hope it is good.

Thats a good suggestion he has made and I think you should take it. Anyway Hyundai will be getting these systems made from reputed companies like Autocop, etc. so it makes sense to buy from them as the warranty will remain on the car.

Hi all, I fitted the central locking by Hyundai approved brand. They didnot cut any wire. Also it covers 4 Doors, Boot, Bonet & Music system.

However I was under impression that when I unlock boot will open but it seems there is no remote boot opener for Hyundai Getz!!!

Hi Friends,

I planned to go for new 'Remote Central Locking System' for my Ford Ikon Flair. Which one will be best and what will be the warranty period.

Suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

SureshLux 

There are many OE and after market systems on the market. The advantage of an OE system is that you do not have to cut any wires, and can just open a connector and plug in the remote. Some OEs are manufactured by the bigger after market manufacturers, like Autocop makes Cobra (Hyundai OE). You can expect a good unit to last for about five years. After that it is a bonus.

I think with safety equipments you should not scrimp.

Go for the OE system. There have be instances were the locking systems did not respond in case of water damages and fires.

The system should be bypassable in such conditions or should automatically be by passed.

Hi

I have just got a new WagonR a few days back. It has Immobiliser as a standard accessory. I wonder if it is enough to protect the car from theft or should I still go for a gear lock.

Congrats man. I own a 2008 Maruti Alto LXi (Celebration edition)and it came with i-CATS immobilliser too. Even I got Gear Lock in my car, but i havent used it for a single day since purchasing the car in Feb 2008. Because immobiliser is much more safer than gear lock in the sense that the car's ECU verifies thecode found in the  key along with the code previously programmed  in the ECU. If these two codes match, then only the car starts. So why put Gear lock everyday when you have a much more sophisticated  computerised system in your car.smiley2.gif

All anti theft devices are only deterrents - none of them can prevent your car from getting stolen if someone is determined enough.

The idea is - the more anti theft equipment - the longer the thief takes to bypass them.

Even the iCats (or any other immobilizer) falls into this category - you car can get stolen if someone breaks in and plugs in their own ECU.

Add a gear lock and use it.

To add to dtandon. I fully agree that each stage of 'anti-theft' device is another delay for the would be thief. Now you decide on the balance between safety and hassle. This depends on your own preferences, location, risk factors, etc.

if i remember correctly , there was an article in the ACI about 2 months back where somebody's scorpio was stolen despite being fitted with an immobilizer.

maybe they disconnected the car's ECU and fixed their's in its place.

so i guess makes sense to fit one as an added safety measure. it costs nothing as compared to the lakhs you shell out on the cars.

i for that matter have it on both my cars.

Well gear lock creates hassle of putting the lock and unlocking it .If you have immobliser then no duplicate key can make it stolen but original key then there is no one to stop. You can put if you are not thinking it as a hassle.

Thanks a lot everyone for replying to my post. Now I am not sure if a thief is sophisticated enough to change the ECU

Actually - changing the ECU is easier than you think - and someone familiar with the particular model of the car could do it in lesser time (and quietly) than it would take for them to cut thru a good gear lock (and cutting would make some noise I guess).

It all depends on where you park and how much trouble you are willing to take.

Remember Mr. Bean taking his car's steering wheel with him when he parks the car? smiley1.gif

Hello!

I need to buy an Autocop security system and a gear lock on my new Swift VDI.

When i tried to find out the rates, it seems that the rates at the Maruti Authorized dealer showroom are greater than that being offered by a local Car Decor shop by atleast Rs.1000.

The local Car Decor shop also promised that Autocop themselves would send the mechanic for the installation.

Now i am very finicky about ensuring that the parts on accessories in my car are authentic. Want your opinion on whether the local Car Decor guy's assurance can be relied upon. Should i pay the extra bucks and get it done from Maruti showroom?

Also, there seem to be more than 1 models available from autocop for both the security system and the gear lock. Please advise on which models to go for.

Thanks,

Dokdindel.   

Yes showrooms are always more expensive for accessories. The same thing is almost always cheaper outside. I've never had any work done on any car from the showroom. Just ensure you go to a reputed accessory shop and everything should be okay.

I haven't bought the Autocop system in a while. But I'm thinking a basic one costs around Rs 3,000. I would suggest you get the one which has the immobiliser function in it which will be more expensive.

FRG

Ok. I have installed the central locking two weeks before. I went for it due to price factor alone. I got it on a special Corporate offer for Rs:2040. Also because my Baleno is already 8 years old (In order to avoid heavy investment :-))

As of now, it is working fine, and met my expectations. :-) Warranty is for 3 years!

Yes, Autocop is definitely an ok brand.

However, i have some interesting news and a query.

I recently got an Autocop gear lock fitted on my Swift VDI Diesel.

The local car accessory shop i bought it from gave it for just Rs.1150, while the same model costs Rs.1950 at the Maruti Showroom, and at another local shop i enquired.

Now i am really inquisitive to know how there can be this big a differnce in the prices. This same shop offers Autocop XS Central lock for Rs.2800, whereas this model costs Rs.4300 at Delhi based Maruti Showrooms.

Is this truly the kind of difference one should expect?...or this guy selling duplicates?...Is there any way to know?

Thanks! 

MGA Nippon Security system is best for all the Maruti's, though its slighly pricey but its Tailor-made suited to all the Maruti cars as its Installation involves no cutting, replacing of the Original Wiring of the Car.

My experience with it in my Alto LXi is very good & its 100% trouble-free for me too, since last 5-years. 
dr_nishu2010-02-06 19:14:21