FuelRunGod

New Mahindra Xylo Test Drive Report

Mahindra's Xylo was launched this morning. You can get a whole lot of information about the Xylo like pricing, varaints, specifications, a taste of how it drives and of course, the all important pictures.

Styling:
The Xylo plays safe with its traditional two-box MPV design. Mahindra have probably avoided the mono-volume design keeping Indian tastes in mind. The Xylo is more like a SUV fused with a van. The front end though is quite quirky. The kinky headlamps top off a fussy and not so attractive face. We think the Xylo's most pleasing angle is the chunky rear.

Interiors & Equipment:
The Xylo comes loaded with great interior space and ground three rows of seats. You can choose between 7 or 8-seat configurations. The well-designed seats offer the right amount of cushioning and support. Four variants are on offer E2, E4, E6 and E8. Amongst other things the Xylo offers park sensors, a central information display (speed, current gear, temperature, humidity, distance to empty, average speed, speed limit alarm.. and more) and air-conditioning for all 3 rows of seats. Notably ABS and airbags are not on offer at the time of launch.

Engine:
The Xylo comes with the new mEagle engine. It is a 2.5litre CRDe engine that's been re-engineered from the 2.6CRDe unit seen on the Scorpio. The engine offers class leading 112bhp of power and 24kgm of torque, but refinement and NVH still isn't up to the mark. The gearbox is more precise though a bit of effort is still required. Interestingly the much more expensive 2.2 litre mHawk engine package is expected at a later date.

Ride and Handling:
The Xylo's soft suspension set up shows a clear bias towards in town passenger comfort. It glides over potholes and broken roads at low speeds but gets unsettled as speed builds up. The long wheelbase and soft suspension create a "swing" movement when changing lanes. But the suspension is more sorted and stable than the Scorpio; once again thanks to Lotus Design.

Pricing:
The Xylo aims to fill the gap between the Bolero and the Scorpio. Prices range from Rs 6.24 lakhs for the entry level E2 variant, going all the way up to Rs 7.69 lakhs for the top of the line E8 variant (ex-showroom Delhi). This makes the Xylo a great value proposition for Indian families and the tourist taxi segment in India.

And here are the pics..

xylo16.jpg

xylo17.jpg

xylo18.jpg

xylo15.jpg

xylo19.jpg

FuelRunGod2009-01-14 07:31:09

But is its quality improved or in the leagues of Toyota, i know its hard but still..

And does this car really feels like Sedan as Mahindra is claiming..

And where is the 4*4 which was to come with the car itself..

So, Finally much, much awaited model from Mahindra and Mahindra is launched! smiley4.gif

Well, Personally speaking the car looks brilliant to me, its very similar to what i expected!M&M has given it very nice and new design and looks, its front looks quite aggressive and rear is all new, actually personallly speaking this is the first car i've seen in its segment with very properly designed rear!

its interiors are also looking superb!those beige one are even more nicer!..and no doubt it has good interior space as well!

I don't know whether it will be able to give a good competition to innova but Tata Sumo grande will have to face a tough time now!

Also, Its pricing is really very atttractive ..its base starts from just Rs.6,24,500!!..thats amazing for a MUV, also li'l features are available in base like P.windows etc etc!smiley17.gif

All i will just say now is that great going M&M, we expect more good cars from you in future!All the best!smiley20.gif

Guys, do check out www.mahindraxylo.co.in for mre on Xylo, they have updated it and site is looking even more good now!

Here are some pics of XYLO (Zy-lo)...........

mahindra_-xylo_4.jpg

mahindra_-xylo_1.jpg

mahindra_-xylo_3.jpg

mahindra_-xylo_5.jpg

Vicky.in
vibhor2009-01-13 10:35:04

Ya even i liked the rear and interior designing but to me front isnt that attractive..

Yes the price will make it good competitior to Innova, but does this have equal space than innova, i dont know, i hope it has..

Anyways Hows the Ride Quality, Build Quality, Driveability, etc..and where is the 4x4..

But yes this will do well and also there are many attractive features like tray on backside of front seats, 3row Ac, charging points, Dimming lights and for all rows..

But Besides Some safety features this one lacks Climate control and Audio controls on steering wheels which will be on soon to be launched facelifted Innova..

Yup!Thats right BS!M&M has missed the steering controls and Climate Control!they should offer it atleast in the top end model!

Hope M&M is listening and offers Xylo with these added features soon!

I  thnk Mahindra needs to rethink their grille

apart from that the car looks pretty good

and the interiors are cool too

lets see how much better the Innova is now

Worth the massive diff in price - ???? Haha Toyota, time to

bring the Innova priices down -

ya and biege interiors are good but even black with silver trims looks damn cool..

And steering design reminds me of Sumo Grande and i really liked that design, its better than that of Scorpio..

But is that good to drive and like sedan is still a question..because the position of Gearshift isnt seems to be good..

But lets wait for detailed report from ACi
bluesapphire2009-01-13 10:46:56

ya and biege interiors are good but even black with silver trims looks damn cool..

And steering design reminds me of Sumo Grande and i really liked that design' date=' its better than that of Scorpio
[/quote'] yeah!black is nice too!smiley1.gif

Yup!..its steering looks like of grande and you know grande's steering looks llike of Bently to me!LOL!smiley36.gif

Those captain seats looks very nice and are comfortable for passangers!

After innova and Tavera, this is the third one to have captain seats!smiley1.gif

BTW, bluesapphire, why you didn't liked its gearshift position?

89018d1231842915-mahindra-ingenio-now-of

89003d1231840347-mahindra-ingenio-now-of

89004d1231840347-mahindra-ingenio-now-of

89006d1231840370-mahindra-ingenio-now-of

vibhor2009-01-13 10:51:43

@BS : Let me check out and tell you...

i think its option..still..illl check out.... smiley1.gif

and yes!..indicators on wing mirrors are missing!....M&M has missed small things in xylo..
vibhor2009-01-13 11:21:15

So' date=' Finally much, much awaited model from Mahindra and Mahindra is launched! smiley4.gif

Well, Personally speaking the car looks brilliant to me, its very similar to what i expected!M&M has given it very nice and new design and looks, its front looks quite aggressive and rear is all new, actually personallly speaking this is the first car i've seen in its segment with very properly designed rear!

its interiors are also looking superb!those beige one are even more nicer!..and no doubt it has good interior space as well!

I don't know whether it will be able to give a good competition to innova but Tata Sumo grande will have to face a tough time now!

Also, Its pricing is really very atttractive ..its base starts from just Rs.6,24,500!!..thats amazing for a MUV, also li'l features are available in base like P.windows etc etc!smiley17.gif

All i will just say now is that great going M&M, we expect more good cars from you in future!All the best!smiley20.gif

Guys, do check out www.mahindraxylo.co.in for mre on Xylo, they have updated it and site is looking even more good now!

Here are some pics of XYLO (Zy-lo)...........

mahindra_-xylo_4.jpg

mahindra_-xylo_1.jpg

mahindra_-xylo_3.jpg

mahindra_-xylo_5.jpg

Vicky.in
[/quote']

Yes Vibhor you are right, the era of sedan may now be over as this new car will beat the mobility of sedans in India. The car will also beat its rivals Toyota Innova and Ford Endeavour.

Thanks vibhor dear for the lovely pictures which say it all. So the Xylo is launched. 2009 is a great year for launches.But I feel this is the same Peugeot XD3P 2498 cc engine which they have common railed earlier for the Bolero.The engine now comes as mEagle.The Scorpio's  2.2 L M Hawk, a lighter and a more powerful engine would have been better in the higher end models. But obviously M&M are concerned about costs.

anjan_c20072009-01-13 14:28:36

As I said, it's not going to be a patch on the Innova. It's a 'pathetic' imitation at best; could be termed a 'poor man's Innova'. Fussy put on styling of the front end and the flat rear end and the slab sided side's lack any imagination and any design depth. I can only sympathise with Mahindra for letting loose an unattractive beast to compete with the beauty <Innova>. The Tata winger was more original design though boxy is functional in a "Merc" way. Xylo looks horrible. Lesser said about the dash the better, it look's like it's been designed in the by lane's of Old Delhi, with 'Moghul' charm, only thing's missing on the dash is the minar's. It's best to drape it in gaudy pinkish silk, listen to 'Pakeezah' or 'Umrao Jaan' and tuck in to 'Lucknowi' biryani, have a 'greasy' beeda....and go 'Wah, Wah' as you listen to some 'Shair' on the audio....not to forget the 'hukkah';complete's the picture.