325i

Indian motorsport coming of age

Indian motor sport is slowly coming of age. In the space of month we have a national single seater racing weekend, a national rally and now a saloon car racing series is about to kick off. The good thing is that manufacturers are slowly beginning to support the fledgling sport and this is a significant development. Kudos to MRF and JK tyres the two rival companies that have been the financial pillars of Indian motorsport and have persisted despite very little return on investment. We now need to have lots more events.

Then we have  a Naren Kumar who places second in the Malaysian APRC round...has offers to do WRC, but no takers for sponsorship??? Is this coming of age...most people arent looking beyond F1. FuelRunGod2007-08-18 23:27:57

The problem is that there is no promotion and publicity to back-up the growing motor sports scene. so whilst we have healthy grids and rally entries, the events are not marketed well which discourages sponsors.

Is this coming of age...most people arent looking beyond F1

No but advertisers themselves are interested in Cricket. Something which Im sorry to say we arent even really good at (not in recent times atleast). I love the game but the amount of money going into cricket is not funny.

325i is right. Motorsports needs marketing, but more than that it needs support of the people. Easy does it. We are surely inching towards that point. What with ever increasing crowd at every speedrun.

Just goes to show how much excitement can be generated without a bat and a ball.

FRG

Ur right maybe more marketing...the support of people is there and as you said its apparent from the Speed run,but still isnt it difficult to sway the advertisier/sponsor towards the sport??As for cricket the team shouldnt be able to get a sponsor with their track record...but that will never be........if a Naren kumar doesnt do well in three rallies sponsors pull out.So as far as I am concerned motorsport in India still has a long long way to go

If you publish a magazine that writes about Autorickshaws you might not find too many sponsors (advertisers) and very few readers, whereas if you publish one about cars you would get a whole lot more of both. Similarly the more eyeballs that you can attract in a sport the more money there is available. You might think it unfair if you prefer the lesser watched sport (atleast in india). But the fact is that market forces decide.

motorsport is exciting to watch. simple. the day some birght sparks in mktg figure it out here, itll all happen. why will F1 come to india? because of the sheer visibility the brands will get in the most high profile sport in the world. everybody knows F1 is business first and a sport second.

similarly, once the powers that be have figured out how to market motorsport in india, things will improve

but what must also be understood is that as long as a bunch of has-been geriatrics remain at the helm, things will suffer. i wont name names, but the focus is more on politicking rather than the racing.

just look at what happened as recently as a year ago...a political impasse led to JK pulling out of the indian natrional rally championship. as it is, there were but 2 "factory" teams so to speak- JK and MRF. and theyre both engaged in running their own series now. how long can this continue? there is no consistency either. rally drivers are driving single seaters and vice versa. good drivers with no god fathers languish mid field with no budget. terrible and i mean terible drivers with rich daddies go racing. cars are tended to with final adjustments being made on the grid and no one says a thing. people put valve grinding paste into others fuel tanks in parc ferme.

well said P one.........Indian motosport has always been about someones ego and not the love of the sport, but then Bernie has his share of detractors too still the sport reigns......then again because thats one man and his kingdom. In India its a case of too many cooks.....and..unfortunately the rich daddies are the powers that be in the motorsport and clearly suffocate any other talent that surfaces. Its always been about favourtism......still its changing and with the interest growing in India globally.....hoepfully motorsport scenario will improve.

"still its changing and with the interest growing in India globally.....hoepfully motorsport scenario will improve. "

well, autowoman, thats a valid point, and hopefully once there are more professional players settping in, it will have to. ill whisper it, but i think we might see some manufacturer involvement in motorsport soon....

smiley17.gif

Nice topic...

There is one thing that I would like to say here... Motorsports, like everything else in this country suffers from the Crabs in the jar syndrome, the higher you get, the more people keep trying to pull you down.

People (specially old timers in the sport) moan and groan about how "IN MY DAY WE USED TO HAVE THIS AND THAT".. yes I agree.. but after being in the doldrums for quite a while, the Indian Motorsports is coming up again.. allbeit slowly.

We need more people to get involved.. to get off their posteriors, away from the all the forums where they keep tearing down Motorsports in the country, and get actively involved.. that is to say IF they love the sport as much as they claim to...

Cheers.

FuelRunGod2007-08-29 13:30:10

Agree. We need to get fresh blood into the sport especially on the organising side. There are lots of armchair enthusiasts but not many who are prepared to roll up their sleeves and do the dirty work

FRG wants a hint? well, there are plenty of the big auto companies who are looking at avenues to invest in motorsports in india. in fact, maruti, and evenb hyundai and GM are involved in the sport. Ford has made an ebtry too...and its just a matter of time before the big boys from toyota and honda too hopped aboard.

P_one is not on pole:) hes not undertanding .......but FRG why do you wnat to be a young organsier why not a young racer?....After spending a weekend at the race after years...I have realised that the politics remain the same..however there is some awesome young talent in this country......but they are not getting groomed to be soemthing better. Some are favoured and some not...but there is no one to take them to another level.Also most of the participants who had been around the circuit or someone whos family had something to do rallying....how do other guys break in??