vineet

Headlight Power for Verna

Hi

Wanted help on upgrading the headlight power/beam for my new verna.

Can anyone suggest what should one upgrade too & what is the next level of powerful Halogen that you can use in the same set-up without any major changes reqd?

Appreciate all the help & guidance

Note :-- i am not looking at spending too much & especially on stuff like the xenon lights which are costly also & have impact on wiring.

Vineet,

For a better visibility and longer beam .. go for Whilte lights from Philips.

Change the stock 55/65v bulbs to PHilips Bluevision or Nightvision 90/100w .

For this you will have to install a relay, which doesnot require to cut original wiring, go for the one from Bosch, hella,or any good brand.

Bulbs will cost you max 1250 for a set of 4 ( 2 main bulbs , 2 parking ) and relay will be @ 250-300.

No need to go for HID or Xenons.

IMHO, don't go for modifications of the Headlight bulbs.Stick to the original ones. Hyundai had researched a lot on the specs of bulb before fitting it to Verna. So Hyundai knows more about you, what spec bulb is good for your car.

Even I had fitted 100/90W bulbs (instead of Standard 60/55W)to our Indigo LS. But this resulted in Blackening of Headlight Reflectors.

Now I changed the complete Headlight Assembly (Both Sides) and fitted back New 60/55W bulbs.

Now I am happy with the light beam and the Reflectors will last long.

See vineet, your car has no problem with the headlights. Even if you fit 130/100W bulbs and go in front of a Stupid Truck Driversmiley7.gif, your eyes are going to be blind until he use dipper lights (Low Beam).

So I request you to stick to the original specs. (I think they must be 60/55W for Verna too). They offer SUFFICIENT ILLUMINATION ON DARK ROADS ALSO.

Bulbs will cost you max 1250 for a set of 4 ( 2 main bulbs ' date=' 2 parking ) and relay will be @ 250-300.[/quote']

Why to spend Rs.1500/- that too when you don't get benefit when you get blinded by the oncoming vehicles?

Even if you fit 200/100W bulbs on your Verna, you will get blindedsmiley19.gif when an upcoming vehicle keeps High Beam instead of Low Beam.

And if the upcoming vehicle is going to keep Low Beam while both of you cross each other, there is no point in upgrading bulbs.

sudeepd2009-02-19 10:55:36

Hey Vinit and Bhalchandra.. Good point by both of you. I have observed low light on my Getz also. It's light power is lesser than my santro. I don't know why Hyundai is playing this game.. Powerful light is bare necessity for highway driving and it has been observed by no. of owners of Verna that the light is not sufficient on highway. Thanks a lot.

I'd recommend against white bulbs/ philips blue vision. These lamps do not offer enough visibility and irritates the oncoming traffic. If you need white rays, then Xenon is the safe bet. Otherwise go for 100/90 halogen bulbs. You need to do some minor mods which should cost around 1k.

@sudeepd, the Hyundai and other companies provide bulbs that meets the regulation. They are not enough to provide enough visibility. 100/90 should not harm any reflector. Crazy cat2009-02-19 10:57:00

Change the stock 55/65v bulbs to PHilips Bluevision or Nightvision 90/100w .

Hey, I don't think Philips bulbs are 100/90W. They don't make them at

that rating and Blue vision / Crystal vision are 60/55w rated. I use

Crystal vision for my car so I know.

Vineet if you want to up increase the lighting then you will have to go for 100/90w bulbs with a relay but like SudeepD mentioned it may blacken out your headlamps.

I'd recommend against white bulbs/ philips blue vision. These lamps do not offer enough visibility and irritates the oncoming traffic

How do these bulbs irritate oncoming traffic? I don't seem to be affected by them instead the normal yellow light with high power ratings irritate me and affect my eyes much more.

I have been using white lights (not blue) in my cars for a long time and find visibility good with them and have not had any reason to go back to using yellow lights.

I dont want to switch to white lights.

I want to keep to regular yellow lights. The main intent is to increase the power & output on road.

I feel the current light is not sufficient.

VIneet,

Sudeep has a valid point , however personally i feel the stock lights are insufficient.

I oftern drive late hours from outstations to home and had expirienced this many times.

@ Subzero

I dont know exactly as philips website doesnt have info on the vattage of these bulbs.

I have also changed to Philips crystalvision 55/60 w and now enjoys a much much better visibility while driving @ night on highways.

NIght Driving TIps:

1. Follow the yellow sideline of the road .. drive keeping left.

2. DO  not overtake from wrong side

3. Keep Lower beam when passing by a oncoming vehicle

4. IF the oncoming vehicle doesnt Lower its beam.. better not to look at it, focus on the left road sideline and drive

5. Esp on turns and corners..always keep left.

6. Most Imp.. have patience

Yup staying on the left side is more safer. Patience is the most important fact in driving. I've seen some car drivers giving over response like hard braking, cutting lanes and honking when there is no necessity. Drive the car patiently.

How do these bulbs irritate oncoming traffic? I don't seem to be affected by them instead the normal yellow light with high power ratings irritate me and affect my eyes much more.

Subzero' date=' high wattage bulb irritate the upcoming rider/ driver because it causes poor visibility to the other rider/driver as he is not able to see the road ahead of him if his eyes get blind due to your high wattage bulb.

In such cases, I would recommend "Use Manufacturer Recommended Bulbs and Use low Beams until both of you CROSS Each Other".

IF the oncoming vehicle doesnt Lower its beam.. better not to look at it, focus on the left road sideline and drive

I agree.

sudeepd2009-02-19 12:06:43

Subzero' date=' high wattage bulb irritate the upcoming rider/ driver because it causes poor visibility to the other rider/driver as he is not able to see the road ahead of him if his eyes get blind due to your high wattage bulb.
 In such cases, I would recommend "Use Manufacturer Recommended Bulbs and Use low Beams until both of you CROSS Each Other".

IF the oncoming vehicle doesnt Lower its beam.. better not to look at it, focus on the left road sideline and drive

I agree.

you can expirience a much better visbility without increasing your Wattage with White lights.

WHite lights offer more clear view of the road and is soothing to the drivers eyes..just like a day time driving... while yellow lights strain your eyes..

Trucks and buses use 24V lights which are brighter and cause glare to your eyes.

you can expirience a much better visbility without increasing your Wattage with White lights.

But I read on this forum that White Bulbs are banned. i.e.' date=' the city cops catch you if your car is fitted with white bulbs.

White lights offer more clear view of the road and is soothing to the drivers eyes..just like a day time driving...

as mentioned above the cops will catch you if found red handed.

while yellow lights strain your eyes..

Still the government permits to fit ONLY YELLOW (NOT YELLOW REALLY) bulbs

on all vehicles (BIKES' date=' SCOOTERS, CARS, TRUCKS, BUSES,....)

Trucks and buses use 24V lights which are brighter and cause glare to your eyes.

But how will the bulb work when the battery fitted to the truck is ONLY 12V.

How will the bulbs turn ON with Half Supply?

To turn ON a 24V Bulb, you need to supply 24V Power Source.

I think the power source of Truck/Bus is 24V.

If I am not wrong, All Vehicles come with 12 V Battery. Its a Standard Spec.

All Self-Start Vehicles come with 12V Battery, just their current rating is different.

See all ungeared scooters with self start are having 12V battery,

Self Start bikes have 12 V battery, All the cars have 12 V battery.

We have a Transformer Oil Filtration Machine (used to filter the oil of Substation transformers) fitted on a Tata Truck. It also has 12V battery.

Now have I made myself clear?

Initially we used Truck's Spec Battery for our Household inverter. It was 12 V Battery but the Plates were more (i.e., the Amp were more)

Please refresh your knowledge.

Did you see other than 12 V battery for domestic purposes?

Its not about the colour he want but want to improve on more visibility go foe 100W-120W bulb and install a cut out and don't go for the bright yellow ones as it is straining I have 100W white one and is lesser straining. 

Truck n buses as a standard fitment use 12V power source, however some Heavy trucks trailers , dumpers also use 24V source, Generally it is two batteries of 12 V fitted under the bonnet.

you can make it out with the intensity of the headlight ( Deep n bright yellow focus ).

In US and Europe HEavy trucks often use 24 V .Even some cars n SUV like Hummer also uses 24 V .

generally the extra power is used for cracking the vehicles.