autofreako

idling time at traffic signal?

hi guys ... wanted to know for how long a duration if the traffic signal stays red , it makes sense to turn off your ignition to cut down on fuel wastage ?

i used to turn off the ignition if it stayed more than for a minute but recently came across an article which said you should switch off even for as low as 15 seconds !

what should be the minimum duration to switch off in order to "actually" save some fuel ? a minute or less ...   

should turn off the ignition if it is more than 30 secs.. i don feel turning of for 15 secs will make any difference by saving u the fuel.Its not worth doing

I read an advertisement of PCRA (Petroleum Conservation Research Association) which said Switch the Engine Off if you have to wait for more than 15 seconds.

But on their website www.pcra.org, it is stated that switch off if you have to wait for more than 2 minutes.

Also PCRA recommends driving at 45-55kph. But how can a Diesel Car run at 45-55kph in 5th gear. It will struggle to keep momentum.

should turn off the ignition if it is more than 30 secs.. i don feel turning of for 15 secs will make any difference by saving u the fuel.Its not worth doing
I read an advertisement of PCRA (Petroleum Conservation Research Association) which said Switch the Engine Off if you have to wait for more than 15 seconds.But on their website www.pcra.org' date=' it is stated that switch off if you have to wait for more than 2 minutes.Also PCRA recommends driving at 45-55kph. But how can a Diesel Car run at 45-55kph in 5th gear. It will struggle to keep momentum.[/quote']

I dont agree with you. sorry. according to me 90% of cars can drive at 45-55kph in 5th gear without any problem.. even diesel.. possibility of a problem is only if the road is little uphill or going up a fly over

according to me 90% of cars can drive at 45-55kph in 5th gear without any problem.. even diesel.. possibility of a problem is only if the road is little uphill or going up a fly over

Diesel Indigos struggle to keep pace at 55kph in 5th gear.

FYI the corresponding rpm at 55kph in 5th would be around 1000 (RPM).

Don't you think driving at 1000rpm in top gear (5th) overloads engine. Period.

I will try myself again and then inform you more on this.

Yes driving at 1000rpm load any engine at what ever speeds it is in thats why down shift .The ideal cruise rpm in a gear should not go below 2000rpm for gasoline engine don't know much of diesel.

Yes driving at 1000rpm load any engine at what ever speeds it is in thats why down shift .The ideal cruise rpm in a gear should not go below 2000rpm for gasoline engine don't know much of diesel.

hey i think 2000 is very healthy.. engines can handle even lower rpm..acc to me 1500rpm is ideal.. i change gear at 2000rpm ..

sudeep 1000rpm wld b lik a borderline.. it should be slightly above 1000rpm then cruising should not be a problem.

IF ANY TECHNICAL GUYS AROUND PLS THROW SOME LIGHT ON THE TOPIC..

I don't know about the 15 seconds. But if I have to wait more than 3 minutes, I might switch off the engine. But in our hot climate I prefer not to. But if the weather is cool, I would switch it off.

Ideally, you should not lug the engine. And for the Indigo probably, the ideal engine speed would be just when the turbo has spooled up adequately. 1500 rpm sounds comfortable enough.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-02-24 16:58:02

But if I have to wait more than 3 minutes' date=' I might switch off the engine. But in our hot climate I prefer not to. But if the weather is cool, I would switch it off.

[/quote']

Is this because of usage of AC or any other reasons?

sudeep 1000rpm wld b lik a borderline.. it should be slightly above 1000rpm then cruising should not be a problem.

Yes Kushal you are right.

I drove our Indigo XL at 1000rpm in 2nd' date=' 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears, respectively and noticed the following --

In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gears, the car can cruise at 1000rpm without any fuss.

But in 4th and 5the Gears the car struggles to keep momentum and start giving jerks.

But yes, the car can cruise at 1250rpm (Tacho Indicated) comfortably in 4th and 5th Gears.

I think the rpm corresponding to 55kph in 5th should be near 1250rpm.

I will checkout and post the result.

And for the Indigo probably, the ideal engine speed would be just when

the turbo has spooled up adequately. 1500 rpm sounds comfortable enough

The Normal (TDI but Not DiCOR) Indigo's Turbocharger comes into force above 2500rpm as it has FGT.

But the DiCOR Indigo has VGT so the Turbo comes into force at 1800rpm.

Correct me if wrong.

sudeepd2009-02-25 08:33:47

Another issue. It is most annoying to be behind a car where the driver takes his own sweet time to start it slowing down all behind him/her. I would say if you are near the head of the queue avoid switching off (unless you are aware to the light sequence). If you are a bit back then you should be able to restart well in time.

In addition to the possible fuel saving one must also be a responsible and considerate citizen.

We all know Turbocharged Diesel Engines need more lubrication ESPECIALLY the Turbocharger when the Engine is running at Operating Temperature (Half Mark).

The Turbocharger spins over a lakh times in a minute. Hence it needs lubrication when the Engine is hot (Operating Temp.).

So is it advisable to turn OFF the Diesel Engine fitted with Turbocharger at Traffic Signals since if the Engien is hot Turning OFF the Engine will cut Off the Oil Supply to TC which can damage the TC.

We can Turn Off Petrol Engine but is it advisable to turn Off the Turbocharged Diesel Engine at Traffic Signals?

Experts Please Explain.

I read an advertisement of PCRA (Petroleum Conservation Research Association) which said Switch the Engine Off if you have to wait for more than 15 seconds.But on their website www.pcra.org' date=' it is stated that switch off if you have to wait for more than 2 minutes.Also PCRA recommends driving at 45-55kph. But how can a Diesel Car run at 45-55kph in 5th gear. It will struggle to keep momentum.[/quote']

I dont agree with you. sorry. according to me 90% of cars can drive at 45-55kph in 5th gear without any problem.. even diesel.. possibility of a problem is only if the road is little uphill or going up a fly over

If i'm not wrong, all the modern diesels struggle to keep pace at speeds of 45-55kph in 5th gear. Even if you manage to go, you will get less FE than normal. It is because the engine works more. The ideal RPM should be 2000 or at least 1800 to make the engine stay in ideal speed.

EDIT:

@sudeepd, yeah now i too have that doubt. Hope someone clears it.Crazy cat2009-04-12 13:35:59

The ideal RPM should be 2000 or at least 1800 to make the engine stay in ideal speed.

But that works out to be around 80kph (for Indigo).

I guess driving at 55-60 will yield better FE since the Wind Resistance is also less compared to higher speeds.
yeah now i too have that doubt. Hope someone clears it.

Are there any Owners of TurboCharged Cars on this forum other than CC and me?

If yes, Please clear our doubts.

CC has Logan and I have Indigo.

Hey wait, DTandon too owns a Logan.

Why is he not answering here?

Period.

I am left with many of my questions unanswered.

I don't know if others are having any problem in answering my questions or they intentionally do not want to answer them.

There are many questions of mine scattered on this forum which are waiting for answers.

The ideal RPM should be 2000 or at least 1800 to make the engine stay in ideal speed.

?But that works out to be around 80kph (for Indigo).

I guess driving at 55-60 will?yield better FE since the Wind Resistance is also less compared to higher speeds.

But it is not mandatory that we should drive in 5th gear at all times, in city circle especially.

EDIT: The guidelines by PCRA is general and will not suit all cars, may be good for an Amby. We should do some research ourselves to get the maximum mileage out of our vehicle.Crazy cat2009-04-12 14:10:07

The optimum speed for our Indigo LS has work out to be 70kph ( I got around 30kpl with AC OFF). If driven at 90-100kph, the FE comes down to 19+ (With AC ON).

And the optimum Speed for our XL DiCOR has work out to be 110-120kph

(I got 23.4kpl with AC ON). When I drove it at 70 kph (AC OFF) I got 19+kpl only.

Why there is such difference between the Behaviour of Both Indigos?

Still no answer to my last post of 06 April 2009. 10 days have passed but still no answer.

DTandon has Logan which has turbocharged Diesel Engine and he is Special License Holder.

Despite this, he is not answering my (Sorry, our) query since Crazy Cat also wanted to know more about this.

PLEASE SPECIAL LICENSE HOLDERS ANSWER OUR QUERIES. WE ARE NOT AS INTELLIGENT AS YOU PEOPLE. smiley9.gifSO PLEASE GUIDE US ON OUR QUERIES.smiley1.gif

sudeepd2009-04-16 07:04:42

If i'm not wrong' date=' all the modern diesels struggle to keep pace at speeds of 45-55kph in 5th gear. Even if you manage to go, you will get less FE than normal. It is because the engine works more. The ideal RPM should be 2000 or at least 1800 to make the engine stay in ideal speed.

EDIT:
@sudeepd, yeah now i too have that doubt. Hope someone clears it.[/quote']

well i wont argue with ur statement "all the modern diesels struggle to keep pace at speeds of 45-55kph in 5th gear"

BUT

2000 rpm is surely not the ideal for sure.. 2000rpm is ideal RPM to Up shift ur gear for good FE.

1300-1500RPM will be the perfect rpm for FE on highway what ever speed it may be for your car

Another issue. It is most annoying to be behind a car where the driver takes his own sweet time to start it slowing down all behind him/her. I would say if you are near the head of the queue avoid switching off (unless you are aware to the light sequence). If you are a bit back then you should be able to restart well in time.

In addition to the possible fuel saving one must also be a responsible and considerate citizen.

True. In Delhi / Noida most crossings have now traffic light timers installed. I switch off if wait time is more than 40 seconds and restart when 5 seconds are left for lights to turn green. If the heat is more, I keep just the AC fan running to have some cooling.

In Auto boxes, we dont face the problem of engine lugging, but trade off is drop in FE by at least 1-1.5 kmpl.

akj53in2009-04-16 11:41:29