Rajeevraj

Bangalore-Hogenakkal Trip report

Here is a report on a one day trip I did to Hogenakkal which is a tourist spot around 180km from Bangalore. It is a spot with a number of waterfalls cascading into River Cauvery. We started at 7.45 on Saturday morning. Since we stay on the city outskirts, completely avoided the Hosur Road Stretch upto Electronic city, Joined the 4 lane highway at Attibelle. From there on till Krishnagiri it was an absolute beauty, as people familiar with this route will know, this road has always been a wonderful stretch.
dsc01884.th.jpg

dsc01895.th.jpg

The reliance A1 plaza's which were a great stop on this route are closed. INstead there is a new BP petrol pump complex with Adayar Ananda Bhavan restaurent. Good food and clean washrooms. The pleasant surprise was the stretch from Krishnagiri to Dharmapuri. The 4 laning on this stretch is complete and the road is amazing. Very little traffic also. You can do any speeds. I am more of a conservative driver and my zen has run 55000 km. So I stuck to around 90-100km/h. Occasionally hitting 120. A passat zoomed by doing god knows how much. I was at 100 and that fellow disappeared from my view in an instant.

dsc01918.th.jpg

We left the highway at Dharmapuri and took the road to Hogenakkal which is a further 45 km. Normal 2 lane road. But very smooth and no potholes.

dsc01920.th.jpg

There was a ghat and forest section just before we reached the place. Some nice curvy well tarred roads.
The place is extremely beautiful and spent a couple of hours in the round boats called coracles(The boatmen start at Rs1000 and you need good negotiation skills. We managed to bring down to Rs400). They take u under the waterfall and get you drenched. After monsoon the place resembles niagara according to the boat man.
smiley4.gif
The place is not very well maintained and no changing facilities or good rest rooms. Also no good hotels. So need to carry some food. But the beauty of the place compensates for all else.
We left back by 1.30 and were back in Bangalore by 5. The road was so tempting that my wife also decided to drive and took over the wheel for a good 70-80km smiley1.gif
Overall the wonderful drive and a nice place make a good choice for a one day outing from Bangalore. Will try to add some pictures also.
Summary:
Vehicle: My 2003 Zen Lxi
People: Me and my wife
Petrol: Regular petrol-full tank from Indian Oil, Sarjapur Road
Route: Bangalore-Sarjapur-Attibelle-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Hogenakkal
Distance: 175km one way
Milage: Approx 18 km/liter with AC
Time taken: 3.5 hrs with a half hour stop at BP-Adayar Anandabhavan hotel.
Roads: Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant. There were 3 small potholes on the total 350 to and fro trip.
smiley1.gif

Will add some pictures once i figure out how to do it.
FuelRunGod2009-02-24 17:45:51

Zen 2003 did a speed of 120kmph. Are you joking?!

Nope. Am not joking. Of course I did it only for a couple of min. As i honestly admitted. I dont drive beyond 90 mostly smiley1.gif did try to push it one time.

heyy i LOVE this place its simply awesome..... i had been der last year on my bike and seriously it was the best riding experience i had. we were 10 ppl on 5 bikes.

when ur just few min away from hogenikkal the road is in S (snake) shape with trees around u.. its beautiful..

on those snake turns me(on unicorn) and my friend( on pulsar) were doing arnd 110kph and taking turns like moto gp riders.. the only time i realised how much i was bending the bike on turns was when i heard noise of my stand touching the ground.. WOW!!

i seriously recommend this place to everyone

I can believe 120kmph as mine low on power carburreter zen (01) has done 110kmph myself but the engine is strained but not that much it could have gone till 130kmph I guess. I wish I could use that road with an AMG!!!

Guys - don't underestimate the carb zen!!

I've been trying to find time to write about the Bangalore-Goa trip I did in my carb 800 last weekend - my 1Lac+ km run M800 still manages to comfortably cruise at 110Km/h for hours on the good sections of the road.

Hell - I got a FE of 17kmpl while I was doing that. smiley2.gif

Nice report and awesome pics smiley1.gif . Wish the pics were quite big.
Zen 2003 did a speed of 120kmph. Are you joking?!

I once did 140kph in a diesel Zen. If diesel can do it' date=' why can't petrol do?[/quote']

Thank You. I wanted to post bigger pics. But was not sure how to do it. Will check it once more.

Forgot to mention that on the stretch just as i was leaving bangalore, we saw a heavily camaflouged car parked on the road side. I was in middle of lorry traffic so could not stop. Not sure which it was. Although it looked like a nano( from the size)

zen can easily do 120 kmph..d mpfi zen is more powerful than the zen sold earlier...my zen lx 2001 mpfi done 1 lac + kms can easily do speeds of 120 kmph....remember amongst small cars zen has still a very quick 0-100 kmph timing !!!!

I think the Zen speed question was raised by a member who has been subsequently banned for making unwanted posts. smiley1.gif

I too was suprised at that comment as it implied i was lying :).

Recently last year when I did a Bangalore-Calicut(kerala) trip with a driver friend, he was consistently driving at 110

Nice review Rajeev.

some tips from my side since I have visited many times Hogenekkal.

Rs.400 for boat is costly and u can really end up with less than Rs.300.

There is a crocodile park near the falls.

Oil massage is very famous there and u can also enjoy that too.

Further with a question of 120 KM in Zen I strongly agree with u since I have driven to such speeds in high ways several times.

No second though in it.

Hi Rajeev, nice post on the hogenekkal trip. I do agree, Zen can very comfortably do a 120 Km/hr. I have a 01 Zen (MPFI) i am still able to do 140 Km/hr easily. Infact a year back i did a 160 Km/hr on the NICE Highway in Bangalore.

160 kmph !!! dats great and dat is the top speed of zen...i have a done a mx of 130 kmph on a lonely city road in my zen but never gone beyond that....zen has a brilliant free revving engine and its one of the fastest small cars after i10 1.2 !!!!!

Good report and nice snaps Rajeev. Your Zen looks good and beautiful paint colour on it too.

You can easily do 120 kmph in a Zen, I had a 99 Zen in which I have done over 140kmph quite a number of times. The top speed is supposed to be close to 165kmph if I am not wrong.

Good report and nice snaps Rajeev. Your Zen looks good and beautiful paint colour on it too.You can easily do 120 kmph in a Zen' date=' I had a 99 Zen in which I have done over 140kmph quite a number of times. The top speed is supposed to be close to 165kmph if I am not wrong.[/quote']

Thank You :). I had an M800 previously and had gone to Maruti True Value to exchange with an alto. There was an almost brand new alto which had done only 2K km. But then i saw this red beauty zen and fell in love with it although it had done 45000km and went ahead and got it. Added the alloys also. Although it has had its niggles due to its age, its still so wonderful to ride. :)

Thanks all for the nice comments also. Rajeevraj2009-02-28 13:39:41