anijog

INDICATOR LAMP ETIQUTTE ON THE ROAD

By the book, you are right, but on the ground conditions/situations could get one into trouble/tricky situation.

Just imagine, right indicator is used to give way to the following vehicles, now any misadventure to try to overtake would mean the following vehicle banging in the rear!

As regional languages/dialect varies, so do road manners & habits. Its good to adapt as quickly as possible to avoid unsavory situations.

Truckers/taxis use a sign/signal to indicate/warn fellow truckers of any police/excise check point/naka. This indication might seem like an overtaking signal, but its actually not!

Up North, there is so much traffic, if you happen to travel sometimes, you would know, one doesn't get a chance/time to flash all these signals.  There's just a split second gap between successive overtaking maneuvers.

Our road conditions are different from developed World/nations, like the irrelevant Laws which are copied from British era are redundant now & our Country needs Laws of its own, similarly, one needs to adapt to local situations.

I think indicator usage is universal. Any local variation can be highly dangerous.

remember you are signalling YOUR INTENTIONS and not what you want toe other guy to do. This basic rule covers all.

In the 1960's the UK did away with the 'come on' sign for signalling that I am willing to be overtaken, and the left signal served equally well. This was part of the same logic.

Approving and adapting to local practices is LOCO!! man, you need to educate the uneducated and not become uneducated yourself because of local aspects.

You seem to be an impatient driver on the road, I get this feeling when you say you have split seconds to decide on the road, this can occur only if you are taking decisions without planning them or don't seem to wait for things to improve on the road to carry out safe maneovres. Hey even I love to driving fast even in the city some times but I never stop being alert nor do I break any rules doing this on the road, I follow all roundabouts give the appropriate indications and drive defensively.

The more you follow universal conventions the better position you are in to take defensive actions.

Apart from the public, it is the duffers of RTO offices who need to learn such basic driving etiquettes, as they issue driving licenses without knowing ABC of driving themselves.

akj53in2009-04-24 06:46:43

I find it funny to see that the double beam headlamps of cars like Linea and the XL carrying this ineffectual yellow sticker of the corner.

The XL has Low Beam Headlamps on the outer edge of the car and High Beam Headlamps on the inner edge (Near the Grille).

When I switch ON Low Beams, the Bulbs near the Grille Turn ON.

When I switch ON High Beams, the bulbs at the outer edges Turn ON.

Don't know about Linea.

May be it is similar to XL.

ALSO AHNC DOES NOT POSSESS DOUBLE BARREL HEADLAMPS.

WHAT A SHAME THAT A CAR COSTING 9+ LAKHS DOES NOT OFFER DOUBLE BARREL HEADLAMPS?

WHAT A SHAME THAT A CAR COSTING 9+ LAKHS DOES NOT OFFER DOUBLE BARREL HEADLAMPS?

you seem to be bashing the new city on your every posts smiley3.gif.

or is it that you are envious that you cant upgrade to the ANHC or you did the stupidity of buying the xl and thought it as an "expensive sedan" and in the same league as the city ?

BTW , indigos are a piece of crap ! i pray you dont buy a 3rd indigo smiley36.gif.

either you a "brave" man or a "lunatic". you decide.

you seem to be bashing the new city on your every posts smiley3.gif.

FYKI, I have not posted this under this topic.

As for my query,

When the car is parked on the road shoulder at dark places (during night), which of these should be turned ON--

1. Hazard Lamps or

2. Parking Lamps?

I want to know who has he right of crossing the road FIRST in below case--

The Road taken in this example is Four Lane with Road Divider (Two Lane on each Side).

Suppose a vehicle A is travelling in a particular direction (I will take North for convenience). Another vehicle B is travelling in Opposite direction of A (in this case South).

Now there is median in between. Vehicle B wants to take a Right Turn (or may be U-Turn). He turns ON the Right Indicator.

NOW MY QUESTION IS WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO CROSS THE MEDIAN FIRST-- VEHICLE A (He is going Straight) OR VEHICLE B (He Turned ON the Right Indicator)?

In My Opinion, VEHICLE A HAS THE RIGHT TO CROSS THE MEDIAN FIRST SINCE HE DOES NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE LANE UNLIKE VEHICLE B.

What do you say?

I have been driving on Indian roads for the past 20 years and have never seen the correct use of indicator lamps on our roads.

I have seen cars being driven with HAZARD warning lamps on when driving in rainy season. I have seen RIGHT lamp indicators blinking when the car is parked on the left road shoulder. I have seen reverse lamps being rewired as FOG LAMPS on cars. I have seen cars overtaking with the LEFT indicators and then giving the RIGHT indicator to indicate their lane preference.
I have seen cars overtaking by putting ON HAZARD indicators.

DOES ANY BODY KNOW when these indicators are to be used?
I have complied a list of incidences where in which Indicator should FLASH' date=' Open to all to correct me if wrong.

When car parked/break down on the road shoulder - HAZARD warning lamps should be ON.

When driving in FOGGY heavy rains - Both HEAD LAMPS and FOG LAMPS should be ON.

When driving in dawn and dusk conditions - HEAD LAMP ON LOW BEAM should be ON.

When Overtaking - RIGHT INDICATOR should be blinking and after completion of overtaking maneuver the LEFT INDICATOR should be briefly flashed to show that you plan to remain in that lane and if some body else wants to OVERTAKE you and if you are NOT in OVERTAKING lane you have to show your LEFT INDICATOR to show that you will remain to the LEFT and hence he is FREE to OVERTAKE.

IF YOU ARE IN THE OVERTAKING LANE and the person behind you wants to OVERTAKE but you are at the SAME TIME in position to OVERTAKE you INDICATE with YOUR RIGHT INDICATOR to indicate that you still want to OVERTAKE and that he SHOULD REMAIN BEHIND you.

If you are In the OVERTAKING LANE and DO NOT plan to OVERTAKE you should flash your LEFT INDICATOR and GIVE WAY by moving to the LEFT.

When driving without road illumination in the NIGHT -
ALWAY USE HIGH BEAM only DIP to LOW BEAM when the car in the OPPOSITE direction reaches NEAR YOUR BEAM THROW DISTANCE, SWITCH BACK TO HIGH BEAM thereafter.

When behind a car - dip to LOW BEAM and only AFTER overtaking that CAR switch to HIGH BEAM.

When on Illuminated road - USE LOW BEAM.

when driving in cities - DO NOT USE FOG LAMPS ain't it stupid? On HIGHLY ILLUMINATED ROADS like the MARINE DRIVE in MUMBAI, switch to parking LAMPS, my opinion.

[/quote']

Very much agreed & doing the same right now. Especially in the overtake part & getting in junctions.

Hope others will follow.
gtmaniac2009-06-01 09:44:23

Sudeep, you are correct.

Similary on roads merging in to the main roads the traffic on main road gets 1st right of way.

I have one query - At intersection of 2 main roads car A wants to turn right while car B wants to turn left who gets the right to take the turn 1st if there is no round about.

@anijog

I did not get your query correctly.

Please mention from which direction is A coming and from which direction B?

As for my previous post, I wanted to tell that Vehicle A refers to ME and Vehicle B is ... You are right (the vehicle coming from opposite direction).

I know I was Correct. But still wanted to confirm if any mishap occurs.smiley2.gif

OK One more.

What if Vehicle A is Two Wheeler and Vehicle B is Four or Six Wheeler Truck or Bus)? Still Vehicle A has the Right to cross the Median and go Straight or  Vehicle B (since it has more wheels) has the Right to Turn Right  (or take a U-Turn) at a Median?

Please answer this query--

When the car is parked on the road shoulder at dark places (during night), which of these should be turned ON--

1. Hazard Lamps (All Indicator Lamps keep on blinking) or

2. Parking Lamps (the small 3.4W bulbs inside or near the Headlight Assembly)?

Since none answered it yet, I posted it again.

Please answer this query--

When the car is parked on the road shoulder at dark places (during night)' date=' which of these should be turned ON--

1. Hazard Lamps (All Indicator Lamps keep on blinking) or

2. Parking Lamps (the small 3.4W bulbs inside or near the Headlight Assembly)?

Since none answered it yet, I posted it again.

[/quote']

Either one will be alright. I would say have both on.

Either one will be alright. I would say have both on.

Hazard lamps are for breakdowns. So you should use the parking lamps. Once upon a time a combination of the indicator switch and the parking lamp switch could be used to keep only one lamp lit - used for the roadside light on the car. This was even there in the old FIAT 1100D!

I have one query - At intersection of 2 main roads car A wants to turn right while car B wants to turn left who gets the right to take the turn 1st if there is no round about.

Please Answer this question too.

I guess A is coming from South and wants to go to East. While B is coming from North and wants to go to East.

So who will have the Right of Way First-- A or B?

Please Answer this question too.
I guess A is coming from South and wants to go to East. While B is coming from North and wants to go to East.
So who will have the Right of Way First-- A or B?

B should have the right. But this normally depends on who apporached the junction first.

I guess if both come to the intersection at the same time which every car intends to turn 1st needs to adequately provide his intentions by flashing his lights and giving the indicator, as there is no round about.

Anijog, I guess you are right. If A wants to turn right first, then he will put on right indicator and flash High Beam to warn B. If B wants to turn left first, he will put on left indicator and flash High Beam to warn A.

Now I have doubt about my above post.

A and B are driving in opposite direction but toward each other.

Both come at an intersection. A wants to turn Right and B to Left.

I think B should have the right First since he is not coming in the way of other vehicles.

You must have seen that Many of Traffic Signals have Left Signal Green.i.e. you are allowed to Turn Left even if the vehicles on your side of median cannot go Straight or turn Right. There is Always Green Signal for the vehicles who want to Turn left but this is not the case for Straight Goers and Right Turners.

So I like to say that Vehicle B should have Right to Turn Left First and then Vehicle A should Turn Right.

Yes that is correct. A should wait for B and the rest of the on coming traffic before A makes the turn. As A does not have right of way and is crossing other cars path.

Since we are talking about the right of way at a round about without the roundabout being present. how come B is not obstructing traffic, then even A will not for A its a right while for B it is a right too.

In case there is traffic the case rests . However if in case there is no traffic who gets the right of way, for that the driver who intends to go first or simpler the one faster at the intersection will take decision.

Trucks are most nuisance on tricky 4-lane highways that unnoticingly merge into single lane ones. They keep on changing lanes continuously without any indication. It's a nightmare to drive at night with these demonic things in front, and especially true of the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

Suppose I want to take an U-Turn at a Traffic Signal.

Is it necessary for me to wait until the Signal Turns Green (if it is Red) or I can take an U-Turn irrespective of Signal if there is space for me to take an U-Turn?

EDIT: What if I take an U-Turn while Signal is Red and a cop catch me?sudeepd2009-07-09 10:00:44