khatbhej

a beehive of questions

my dad has an accent viva that i use currently [red, bought in 2003]. i think another 1 or 2 yrs and its abt time for it to get a modification, as i wont b selling off this car.. i was thinking of turning it into a mean machine [by my standards], not the sissy types generally seen on roads.. ppl just fit in pre-made bumpers and call it a modified car.. i want a beast. although i have zero knowhow, i was thinking of replacing the 1.6L engine and put in sumthin powerful, like the 2.2L m-hawk.. or maybe the 2.8L skoda V6 engine [though it wud b too expensive].

now here come 2 very important questions..

first, can a petrol car be made diesel by just changing the engine or does it require big time [read expensive] internal modifications?

second, perhaps more important than the first, can engines actually be bought?? i googled a lot, and according to my understanding if i damage my accent engine to an irrepairable state the company will give a fresh engine and charge me for it, but if i ask for an engine from say maruti, i wud b shown the door.. one option i found is to look for second hand engines in scrapyards, which is not only impossible in india, but also inadviceable..

i also dream of changes on the outside.. i LOVE the tail lamps of Mitsubishi Outlander and headlights of the Indica Vista.. i also LOVE the trademark bonnet grille of the Audi and kind of like the high rear of the 2009 Honda City.. then i wonder if there are projector headlamps for indica vista headlights.. i wud also love the read colour changed to something hot with fiery graphics..

wud these mods cost me a bomb [if at all possible]??? am i dreaming too much?

pls do reply smiley9.gif

You can swap the engine with that of the Accent CRDi and put a Pete's power box on it. The Viva should easily swap since it also had the same engine. But ensure you get everything like the wiring harness, exhaust, mounts, ECU and I mean everything related to the engine.

Don't change the cosmetics of the car, it will just ruin it. Get a suspension kit with lower ride height and stiffer springs.

Engines can be bought. But if damaged delibrately, the manufacturer and the insurer will see through it. So don't try that. Instead look through the junkyards and find a totalled car with an undamaged engine. You can get the engine off cheap.

Yes these modifications will cost you a bomb. smiley1.gif So spend wisely and invest in what you need the most. Also finding a good garage that can do the engine swap may be difficult.

FRG

Extensive mods like changing the Engine is like changing your heart, it will never be the same again.

A car is designed with a particular set of engines and that the dynamics of the car should complement the engine.

Ya you will succeed in getting a engine shoehorned in but the complete dynamics will go for a toss.

If you want mods go for tuning kits, expansion chambers, high lift valves lighter engine aggregates like pistons and con rods, performance enhancing suspension set ups etc.

External body modifications are of individual taste, what is sweet for some one could be sour for another.

best luck with you mods.

smiley4.gif

If you really decide to an engine swap for power - look at big honda petrols. I know a guy who's plonked in a rebuilt V6 honda engine (I'm not sure which one) that was bought into India as scarp.

It'll cost an arm and a leg (you need to upgrade suspension and brakes too) and the end result won't be a mileage or reliability champion - it'll be a mean, fast car (good for the straight line and probably nothing else).

The petrol V8 would require lot of extensive modifications which if not done well are surely going to hurt reliability and safety. Which is why I suggest the CRDi unit, since it will be the easiest to swap with. You could also try the Verna CRDi engine and gearbox combination, provided it fits and mountings are the same.

FRG

Wait one second!! Manish, The Guy has a 1.6 Petrol. If he switches to a diesel, that means, changinag all fuel lines, changing the tank, changing mountings, changing exhaust layout, asdding an EGR, adding a Turbo, etc etc!! It would be too difficult. ad after all that, you would get a 100 BHP engine, with a petes box, maybe 120.

If you do want to go in for an engine swap, i suggets a used Honda B16 with a G3 Turbo from garret. The B16 is the engine that used to come in the Old Honda CRX. A B16 i believe is around 130-140 in NA stock form. CYRUS432009-03-14 09:14:24

@Cyrus - Engine swaps for Viva's were quite popular in Bangalore. The car I mentioned has been happily running a Honda V6 (probably taken from an accord) for over 2 years and was a daily driver.

And even a stock viva looks neat - you gotta give it that.

A verna CRDi will be near impossible to source from scrapyards (a friend has been looking at several places around here - to transplant it into a Getz).

One thing i do not understand about few peoples fancy about modifying the cars to such extent.

Are they try to be come engineers of supercarssmiley2.gif or they try to make out a ferrai from a Premier padmini.

Performance modificaton OR adding rally dynamics is one part .

Enhancing Comfort and Ovrall handling is another part.

Changing Engines , CHanging BOdy is evantually going to Destroy the identity of the car .

Why not to go for different Car which are available in the market by paying that extra bucks..!

One thing i do not understand about few peoples fancy about modifying the cars to such extent.

Are they try to be come engineers of supercarssmiley2.gif or they try to make out a ferrai from a Premier padmini.

Ohh Come on...Dont disrespect my Favourite car(Padmini...derived from the mighty Fiat 1100) like that.smiley2.gif
CYRUS432009-03-14 09:59:37

Ohh Come on...Dont disrespect my Favourite car(Padmini...derived from the mighty Fiat 1100) like that.smiley2.gif

OHH... Its just a quoted example .. Seriously not meant to undermine the mighty padmini.smiley2.gif