speed

What's the right choice baby?

Today there is so much choice available to the consumer that it leaves one confused as to which car/what type of car to buy. Here's a low down on how to narrow down ones search & choose the best that suits one's needs.

What kind of car do I need

SEDAN: If there are kids in the picture or in the near-future plan, or you have an executive's job at hand, or you want to arrive in style & let the World know that you've arrived, a sedan makes sense.  Even if performance is on the mind, sedans in India would fit the bill as Sports car a non entity here. 

HATCHBACK: If you add another door

smiley36.gif You scared me for a minute - I thought the cola wars were back!

A couple of points i'd like to make :

- Everything else being equal(purchase cost and running costs), diesel cars score over their petrol counterparts in city traffic. The extra torque is useful in slow traffic and you can crawl along with fewer gear changes all day.

- Automatic's - perceptions apart, they are capable cars and a better choice for people who drive in rush hour traffic.

They don't crawl backwards on inclines - as long as the engine is running and you are in "Drive". You don't have to worry about hitting that ***** who's sticking to your bumper in the traffic jam going up that new flyover.

@Archit, yes small cars are easier to drive for newbie drivers.

@dtandon, yes diesel torque helps in City traffic, but in tight bumper to bumper traffic it might turn out to be a bain! There's always a chance to hit the bumper of the car in front, with that overflowing torque at low RPM's!

Automatics just slipped my mind, maybe because of the dearth of models. Nevertheless, market of/for automatics is fast expanding & diesel autos make a lot of sense.

Also, time to move over the Cola wars, these are Auto wars!smiley2.gif

For the next post: Yes BS,  there are new segments emerging with lots of overlapping between segments. Imagine Fabia, its a Hatch(Super) which has all the creature comforts of a sedan & the price tag too is similar or even more than some sedans.  Whereas some sedans have been downmarketed & fighting squarely with Hatches, Ikon, Logan, Indigo are prime egs.
speed2009-03-17 11:10:39

Good points here Speed..Yes in todays market one can see so many choices, before it was different, choosing a car wasnt that tough provided you have a fixed budget which solved all problems as there were not too many products, E.g if before anyone in 4-5 lacs was bound to have Hatchback/small car in mind, person having 10lacs only thought of Sedan whether his/her requirements was of sedan or not.

But today its altogether different scenario, in 10lakhs you can choose Sedan, Muv, Suv's or even a Hatch and all fully loaded, a man who is buying his 1st car at that budget might go in for sedan or Muv/Suv if he does lots driving on bad roads or has many people with him or if he is buying strictly for city use and as a second car or even 1st he might go in for Hatch as they are not just spacious as sedan but as powerful, as feature-rich, as stable on highways, as quality rich and ofcourse FE unlike many sedans, so there are lot many choices available, a person just with budget cant choose simply.

Even in low budget like 4-6lakhs, Hatches, sedans, estates, Muvs are available so choices are to be made as per requirement nowadays and the confusion among buyers is increasing day by day as new models are launching..

Thanks Sharash & Vijay.

According to me the vehicles that suit the masses in our Country are Hatchbacks & MUV's.

Hatches: because of their Price as most can afford & Size for the tight City streets & unplanned developement.

MUV's/SUV's: for the Passenger hauling capacity which they possess which suits us as Indian family sizes are usually large. Also, to be able to travel on less than perfect roads, no roads/uneven roads/Countryside.

Sedans do not fit the bill in our Country except for the Flaunt/showoff/announcing arrival, etc. kind of purposes.

The kind of traffic in our Cities, size of roads, etc. do not suit the use of sedans.

Though there's lot going for the Sedans too, like for those who need to carry lot of luggage with them, but such usage is far inbetween to be able to take full advantage.

The extra torque is useful in slow traffic and you can crawl along with fewer gear changes all day.

Sorry buddy, but I don't agree completely with this statement that with Diesel Engines you can crawl along with fewer gear changes.

If you drive both petrol and diesel cars of same make, you will find following-

A Petrol Engine Car can be driven at 10kph in 2nd gear, 20kph in 3rd gear, 30kph in 4th gear, and 40kph in 5th gear.

But A Diesel Car needs following speeds to run in the corresponding gear.

15-20kph in 2nd gear, 30-35kph in 3rd gear, 50-55kph in 4th gear, and 70-75kph in 5th gear to keep the Diesel Engine Cruise Happily instead of burdening the Engine.

Compare it this way

Petrol Engine                                                      Diesel Engine

2nd Gear -    10kph                                                                 15-20kph

3rd Gear  -    20kph                                                                30-35kph

4th Gear  -     30kph                                                                50-55kph

5th Gear -      40kph                                                                70-75kph.

A Petrol Engine can Happily Cruise at 50kph in 5th Gear without burdening the Engine.

But a Diesel Engine needs speed of at least 70-80kph in 5th Gear to Cruise Happily without burdening the Engine.

No doubt a Diesel Engine produces more torque at Lower Rpm in comparison to Petrol Engine, but while cruising it needs more Rpm than its Petrol Counterpart.

@speed: I fully agree that a hatch is more sensible that a sedan. I hope the advent of cars like the Fabia educate us!

@sudeepdOne think you forgot is that the power delivery of diesels is never as linear as the petrols. This is due to the Turbo - which cuts in with a very steep torque curve. Hence a petrol is a less fussy drive. Raod speed in a diesel has to be higher (gearing) since the engines top off at 4000-4500 rpm for diesels as against 5500-6500 rpm in petrols.

a very useful post indeed!!! Good to reckon for the first time buyer..

n yes.. the market today is indeed divided by budget you have.. u can buy a entry level sedan like an Accent or and Ikon or a premium hatch like a Swift or a i20 for almost the same price band. And it goes down to get even more inclusive as ur budget increases.

In a budget of abt 8-10 lacs u can go for a Scorpio or and Innova or a City or SX4 or an Optra or a Fiesta or a Verna or if you are looking for a hassle free hatch u always have the Jazz, Fabia and the Chevy SRV.

Its so nice to see the Indian car market mature to so many choices.

The Indian market is influenced by customer perception to some extent. For example, many would still prefer a slightly outdated sedan to a similarly priced premium hatch ,even if having the extra boot space is of no practical use.

Customer perception dictates that a sedan is considered more upmarket, which in turn influences his buying decision.

Yes,rightly said so,we start rethinking on our requirements.Only yesterday i posted one topic,Fabia/Punto/Jazz .I am thinking of selling my civic AT and buying one of these,taking into consideration of geting in and out of the car,low seating(back strain) and added to that the city traffic and parking problems.Hatchbacks are easy to handle,have good or equivalent safety features and enough luggage space too.Somedays i prefer taking the i10 than the civic !

That's right Ramesh, hatchbacks make the most sense in our scenario. Look at the clogged/unplanned City streets where we dwell most of the time. With a saloon/sedan we are carrying excess luggage in the form of boot which is seldom required during City runabouts. Rather it becomes a chore to park the car & drive in bumper to bumper traffic, tight U-turns, etc.

Moreover the hatchbacks today offer what sedans do, in some cases surpass the equipment/comfort levels. A slew of premium hatchbacks have been launched & are well received by the consumers. Sometime back consumers were unaware of this segment & the first few entrants were ignored(fusion,SRV) but the awareness levels have grown since & consumers are choosing hatches over sedans now.

Cars like i20 have changed the market dynamics & most manufacturers are vying for a spot in the premium hatch back space. Small additions like Automatic transmission, safety features in the form of Airbags, ABS, etc have plugged the remaining holes. Though enthusiasts still have things to complain due to lack of performance in the segment but their wishes shall also be fulfilled in due course.

I have a similar query. Our's is a family of 3 ie - My father, my mom, and me. My father is about 6-ft tall, and I'm 5'9. My mom is not so tall. We need to replace our 8 year old M800, which is used as our second car. The car will be used only on weekends, as we have another car , in which my father is chauffered around the city. Even on weekends, the car might not be used 70% of our weekend outings, thanks to Bangalore's extensive and luxurious public transport system. The vehicle will primarily be used for city commute(including shopping), and may spend 1 or 2 long drives on highwayss and such, spawning not more than 50-100km.We may take the car for 1 or 2 long trips per year, say 200-300km +.My father has a budget of Rs3-6 lakh, on the EX-Showroom price. The car will be retained for us for atleast 7years, and not more than 9-10years. We are puzzled if we need a premium hatch or a mid-sizer. We are interested ONLY in top-end models, which offer airbags. Considering that we clocked 22000kms in the 6 years we have had the car for, we are confused if we must go in for a cheaper vehicle instead. We are eyeing the New WagonR right now,. Is it wise if we buy a 2nd hand sedan instead?

I have a similar query. Our's is a family of 3 ie - My father' date=' my mom, and me. My father is about 6-ft tall, and I'm 5'9. My mom is not so tall. We need to replace our 8 year old M800, which is used as our second car. The car will be used only on weekends, as we have another car , in which my father is chauffered around the city. Even on weekends, the car might not be used 70% of our weekend outings, thanks to Bangalore's extensive and luxurious public transport system. The vehicle will primarily be used for city commute(including shopping), and may spend 1 or 2 long drives on highwayss and such, spawning not more than 50-100km.We may take the car for 1 or 2 long trips per year, say 200-300km +.My father has a budget of Rs3-6 lakh, on the EX-Showroom price. The car will be retained for us for atleast 7years, and not more than 9-10years. We are puzzled if we need a premium hatch or a mid-sizer. We are interested ONLY in top-end models, which offer airbags. Considering that we clocked 22000kms in the 6 years we have had the car for, we are confused if we must go in for a cheaper vehicle instead. We are eyeing the New WagonR right now,. Is it wise if we buy a 2nd hand sedan instead?[/quote']

Since you clock very little distance, my advice to you would be,

an i20 top end/ or a Pre Worshiped CIVIC (See our SubZero's thread)

Firstly at 6 lakhs OTR you cant get any of the premium hatches in Bangalore. The max I think you can get is Ritz.

For such a long ownership duration, definitely a Maruti or a Hyundai. As of now three cars spring into my mind. i10, Ritz and Wagon R. The i10 and Ritz top variants would be a little out of your budget, so the best is to go with the fully loaded Wagon R.

As you are planning on keeping the car for quite a long time, dont go for a used car as that might give you problems later on in the ownership.

While I will suggest Wagon R on the current propositions it will be best if you can stretch your budget a little for Ritz.

@rahul1810:

My father can afford the i20 Asta (opt), the Polo Topend, the Dzire Zxi, and the Manza Petrol Aura+.

@winner48:

My father had decided on Rs5-6lakh for the ex-Bangalore price. But after I told him about the new WagonR, showed him the pictures and told him the price, he told me that it might be wiser to spend  less and buy the WagonR 2010, or something in that price bracket. What we want to know now is whether buying the WagonR is a wise instead of buying something else for almost Rs2 lakh more.  We won't mind mind shelling out a bit more than the WagonR's price, so we can also look at the Figo Titanoum 1.2, Beat LT opt. or such.

@Creativebala

My father too asked me if there are good used cars falling within the shortened budget. But as rahul1810 said, a brand new car might be a better buy.

well, the figo beats the hell out of both WagonR and beat.

Yeah, like i said, its got to be figo, if not the i20.

since you do only about 3500-4000 km a year, it is not wise to spend 6 lakhs on it.

Go for the figo, it is way better than the wagonR, and you will love it.

There's oversupply of cars in the 3.5-6.5L bracket and there are more to come...so one can expect a lot of chaos /confusion both on the streets and in the buyer's minds!

Also IMHO there are a couple of niche segments which haven't been catered to -

1. hardcore 4x4 - something akin to Mahindra Classic

2. Sports Car - a convertible or a hardtop coupe

Even if we leave the Sports car category, there are plenty of us who would buy an entry level 4x4 Jeep for recreational purposes - priced around 3.5-4.5L ex-showroom.

Sad that Maruti didnt introduce a diesel engine and let the Gypsy die a slow death.

Boy i really thank GOD that i am not into the market for buying a hatch, because its mind boggling number of models with different qualities - Liva and Etios have the T badge, new Swift is good but will be too common, Micra, Ritz, Wagon R, Figo, Alto , i10, i20, Beat and more. I pray for the new hatch buyer that he gets what he needs because its too confusing.

@Itsme,

Its not that confusing if you got your "needs" exactly.

Each and everycar has certain set of qualities which addresses specific group of people. What makes the buyers worried today is the "Waiting Period".

You are saying," Its too confusing to select a car", but see how many of us are waiting for New Swift, whose bookings have been suspended for a while now.

To be precise, some segment buyers are never confused. They straight away buy these cars,

First budget car - Alto

Budget family Car - Bolero

Diesel overall good hatch - Swift

Petrol overall good hatch - Jazz

Petrol premium sedan - City

Petrol Luxury sedan - Civic

Diesel premium SUV - Fortuner

What ever new product comes in, its very difficult to draw people from these cars.
creativebala2011-09-10 12:54:58