Sign in to follow this  
cavallino

Wins to decide 2009 F1 champ

I have to say i'm not happy with the FIA's decision to award the 2009 drivers title to the driver with the most wins. The points system proposed by the teams' association 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 was a far better alternative to the current system. It would have seen the title go to the driver who would have been able to to mix flat out driving with consistency.

With the max wins structure, the championship can effectively be decided within the first half of the championship.

I was much happier with the older 10 6 4 3 2 1. They changed it a few years ago with a single purpose, Stop Schumi. this old system put more premium on winning than the current system! So why not back to the old system!?

To cyrus,

The 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 was what was proposed to replace the 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system. I think it would have been much better as there is a bigger gap between first and second place as well as third and fourth place.

The points system remain the same as last year, the change is the addition of the number of wins. I think it is a good thing, we will get to see more of hard driving and racing than strategy.

The new system "could" likely bring out more aggressive driving at the top end, but for performers like BMW where consistency is everything they have little hope of winning the title.

Maybe they're trying to make the "sparks of brilliance" count rather than consistency

@5u3zErO

Got to disagree with you on the "hard driving and racing than strategy" part - it was loads of fun to watch Schumi go up against Villenueve(97) and Hakkinen (98, 99) with an underpowered Ferrari but a brilliant strategy. They turned around a lot of races with shear strategy and pit-work. As much as I enjoy the overtaking and hard racing, its still a team game smiley1.gif

Update: This rule goes for 2009 but will be there for 2010 as per reports I read in the papers last week.

@ Darklord: Yes, I agree about team work but then it would be great for us and spectators to see them do that extra bit to win, rather than end up second or third just for points.