Jithesh

SX4 - An overgrown Swift?

Hi guys,

I just test drove the SX4 and surprisingly was a bit disappointed.  I own a Swift Vxi and the similarities between the two cars are a bit too close.  The drive seemed almost identical with a similar suspension set-up, similar power-to weight ratio and the lifeless electronic steering.  Electronic steering is okay in cities but we have to be very careful in our inputs while cornering on mountain roads.  There are too many Swift parts in the SX4 and that just added to the disappointment. 

However I couldn't but appreciate the good points:

*  The design is excellent and shouts "I-have-arrived" and how! 

*  The SX4 is absolute value for money, especially the ZXi version. 

*  The driving position is excellent with a good view upfront and towards the sides. 

*  The front quarter glass is an excellent design feature and also the wraparound headlights. 

*  The boot is very generous and the rear suspension doesn't eat up much into it.

*  The engine coupled with the gearbox is very driveable if not very peppy.

*  The front seats and especially the rear seats are really nice and comfy. 

*  May be Maruti has borrowed the slogan from Tata - "more car per car"!

Maruti should pay more attention to detail in a car which comes in a segment where buyers are more demanding in terms of fit and finish and quality. 

I want to graduate to a bigger car and SX4 is definitely an option considering Maruti's excellent after sales service and relatively cheaper spares.  But I would rather wait for the diesel version slated to launch next year.  Considering the performance of the Swift diesel, I think that would be worth waiting!

Jitz  

Yes swift has very good quality materials in its segment so maruti decided to exploit it to next segment to lower production costs. I think SX4 is not so value of money (VFM for producers) its just because people think that it has good features like swift so it must be good. 

I agree with FRG and AM, the quality of the SX4 leaves room for improvement.  Especially when pitted against the City, which is way ahead in terms of refinement.  The level of quality in the Swift is more than adequate in that price segment, but Maruti should be careful in the segment where the SX4 is. 

Jitz

i have a big complain against the SX4...the next time you open the door look at the hinged area....look at all the hoses and wires hanging out....the fit and finish is ridiculous..

Maruti suzuki can give good value for money car but if customer is willing to buy a high price tag car then definately he will go for better quality and comfort and brand which is not in Maruti.....Its just a name that the cars are selling in huge numbers...if the badges of swift and getz/UVA are changed means if swift gets hyundai badge and getz gets maruti's then i am sure that the sales of getz will be much much higher than swift similarly wagonr is not upto the mark of santro not at all but its selling because of badge..

The plastics Used in SX4 is not that good. i hope Maruti gets qaulity plastics for its upcoming models and also a 1.3 Multijet SX4 Diesel with improved performance. what do you people say???

Maruti suzuki can give good value for money car but if customer is willing to buy a high price tag car then definately he will go for better quality and comfort and brand which is not in Maruti.....Its just a name that the cars are selling in huge numbers...if the badges of swift and getz/UVA are changed means if swift gets hyundai badge and getz gets maruti's then i am sure that the sales of getz will be much much higher than swift similarly wagonr is not upto the mark of santro not at all but its selling because of badge..

So surveys done by professionals count for nothing then I suppose.

I think Suzuki should stick to small car were they are the worst (WagonR Estilo) then look at upper segments .Stop becoming a all car segment leader refine your self then go.

maruti has good reliability with the main mechanicals being of good quality, but plastics and body panels leave a lot to be desired. One look at the swift's panel gaps says it all. Even the bumpers are attached with poor quality clips which soon become loose and on collision, just breaks off..

The plastics feel horrible. The quality of plastics were way better in a zen. the rear seats are so uncomfortable, it's strictly for 2 people. The suspension is extremely harsh and the power window buttons are so awful. The test car I drove was rattling with 8000 kms on the clock. But I still love this car and I'm sure everybody does. 

we all love maruti cars with ifs and buts...dont we ? smiley1.gif...how about we all millions of owners request the largest car manufacturer to atleast improve build quality if not safety and standard features

The plastics feel horrible. The quality of plastics were way better in a zen. the rear seats are so uncomfortable' date=' it's strictly for 2 people. The suspension is extremely harsh and the power window buttons are so awful. The test car I drove was rattling with 8000 kms on the clock. But I still love this car and I'm sure everybody does.  [/quote']

That is a very "mixed" response!!

Makes me wonder, what features help you still love the car?