akj53in

Toyota Altis VL Auto booked: Now Bought!

Tanmay: Another user from Pune on team bhp has reported the following FE

"With AC on, 11 to 11.5 KMPL v/s 15.5 on the hwy. Havent tried w/o AC."

Your figures are also quite good.

Every body will get different FE due to local traffic conditions, load and individual driving styles but point is that for such a big car, anything over 10 & 14 kmpl are a bonus and are commendable figures. And these figures are far better than Civic, so no tension on this point.

My Altis's brakes were giving a screeching sound on slow speeds. Told the Toyota sales person about this. He fixed a service appointment for me and I took the car to their service center today.

The service advisor and other staff were very courteous, all vehicle and problem details were noted. I was told that they may have to change the brake pads and it will take so much time. Also gave the car a free wash and adjusted headlights as per my wish. All this was done free of cost and the 1st service coupon of 1000 kms is still with me.

Afterwards the car felt even more smoother to drive. The entire process was done quite professionly and with attention to detail. Now I know why Toyota service is so famous and satisfactory.

@akj53in

Changed the Brake Pads within 1000kms? How can the Brakes Fade at such low Odo reading? Even before FIRST FREE SERVICE?

There must have been another problem.

The initial batch of brake pads in Altis had this problem, so Toyota had replaced the pads with modified pads in all the Cars produced in 2008. This was due to some design problem and not due to brake fading.

I have crossed 2100 kms in Altis and I find the drive, gear shifts and acceleration and braking exceedingly smooth with no jerks at all.

Things would have been even better if only Toyota had given 5 speed auto box.

Well' date=' a worthy alternative with paddle shifts is already there, the Civic![/quote']

This is exactly what prompted my comment.

The only fly in the ointment with the Civic is the tendency to bottom, and the somewhat lower degree of appointments. I will love to see HID lamps in there as well.

sgiitk2009-06-05 07:42:41

Yes, on a full load it does tend to bottom out but tradeoff being superior ride & handling, not to forget the sportiness!

Certainly it could do  well with some more features & I do believe Honda must be on the way of bringing in an updated version with added features. All events would be post Jazz launch obviously.

Well' date=' a worthy alternative with paddle shifts is already there, the Civic![/quote']
This is exactly what prompted my comment.

The only fly in the ointment with the Civic is the tendency to bottom, and the somewhat lower degree of appointments. I will love to see HID lamps in there as well.

as compared to Altis, Civic also looses on the following counts (to name a few only) :-

Lack of goodies

Poor low speed torque

Less FE

Less seating comfort

Less ingress and egress comfort

Less boot space

I have test driven City Automatic which is supposed to have a better gear box than Civic, but frankly that was not as smooth as that of Altis.

Less suitable as a family car

Less convenience and comfort factor

Arrogant and snobbish dealers.

Less Milage warranty (80000 vs 1 lac of Altis)

IMO Civic scores over Altis only on the following points:-

Better high speed handling over 120 (but how many times do you need it on our roads)

quieter and smoother engine

Longer period warranty (4 years vs 3 years of Altis) (Hope Toyota will match this in future)

4 years Road side assistance package vs 0 from Altis. (Hope Toyota will match this in future)

Paddle shift option in Auto box (but I have never felt the need to shift manually in Altis so far. If I need sporty drive, Sports mode is more than enough for me and I can also limit the transmission upshifts upto a particular gear).

@akj: I fully endorse your view. I am a bit intrigued by Less Mileage warranty (80000 vs 1 lac of Altis), since you are looking at only 12,000 or so km per annum. For me this will make it irrelevant.

Also, Longer period warranty (4 years vs 3 years of Altis) (Hope Toyota will match this in future). I believe you are looking at the extended warranty. Considering that the extended warranty only covers the drive train, the likelihood of the drive train packing up in 50,000km are virtually nil. So I would have almost certainly skipped the extended warranty.

As SGiitk pointed out 4Years/80,000kms for Civic must be for Extended Warranty since ALL HONDA Cars (Accord, Civic, City, CRV) come with 2 Years/40,000kms as Standard Warranty which is less than 1,00,000kms of Altis.

The standard warranty for Civic is indeed 2 years / 40,000 kms and additional 2 year / 40000 kms is extended warranty. I presumed that there is no difference in terms of extended warranty, so I wrote as above. But if SG says that extended warranty covers only the drive train then it is of no use.

In such case Toyota std. warranty of 3 years / 1 lac kms is vastly superior and service backup is also superior than Civic. It also has very low maintenance cost. Only the oil and oil filters needs to be changed every 10000 kms. Air cleaner Filter & Coolant on 40000 kms and Fuel Filter will be changed on 80000 kms as per Toyota maintenance schedule. I doubt that Civic can match such low maintenance schedule.

Add the legendary Toyota reliability and very good resale value and you have a extremely satisfying car with 'least cost of ownership'.

The Auto tranny and Brakes are super smooth. The drive, acceleration and retardation is super smooth and seamless, like an Airbus. The driving exp. is extremely stress free.

As far as I know the Civic has a 5000km /6 month service schedule. There is still some doubt whether this includes an oil change at every service or alternate services.

As I have pointed out numerous times, in case you do not travel 10,000km a year the oil + filter change should still be done annually. Modern oils (anything including and above the now obsolete AII/SF, though now API only has SJ, SL and SM current) in modern engines safely last one year / 10,000km whichever is earlier. Coolant and brake fluid should be changed every alternate year, in case your mileage does not reach the specified distance. 

hi, i am thinking of buying a new altis at in bbay.. could u please tell me if u have any problems with the car and whats the real world fe ? i test drove twice but noticed some vibration noise from the centre console.. however i dont know if that is normal ?

hi' date=' i am thinking of buying a new altis at in bbay.. could u please tell me if u have any problems with the car and whats the real world fe ? i test drove twice but noticed some vibration noise from the centre console.. however i dont know if that is normal ? [/quote']

Auto transmission will normally give you about 1 kmpl less milage. City and Highway milage depends on terrain and driving habits but yoy can expect 9-10 in City and 14 on Highway. My average milage is 10.6 after having driven 3500 kms in which only 30% would be highway which I would say is good for a car of this size with Auto

If you prefer class, comfort and convenience then buy auto, if milage is the priority then buy manual. Its auto is very smooth and makes the drive very very comfortable as there are no jerks. I have not so far observed any vibration during pick up. If the car is to be used as a family car with elders or for mostly city use then you must go for AT. If you buy Auto, you will not regret your decision. If it is mainly for highway use then go for manual. 

Our Altis has done around 13,000 kms and there haven't been any problems till now. It's a very good car.

FE is around 12-12.5(70% city and 30% highway). Ours is the manual G variant.

First servicing was free and the 2nd service at 10,000 kms costed us Rs. 1349.

thanks to all for ur help.. how expensive are the spares of the altis ?? i am gng on monday to book the altis at.. hope to be in it by friday.. fingers crossed.. :)

Question: Besides the obvious cosmetic changes to the looks and some new technological bits, what else has Toyota changed in the Corolla to make it so much more expensive?? I mean, the older version was selling at about 9-10 lacs while this one currently costs more than 11.5 for the bast version. Comments?

no clue about any specific price increases co related to improvements on car.. but i just booked mine.. and test drove both manual and at twice.. to make a decision.. went for the comfort aspect at the end.. if u spend so much money its better to be a lil more comfortable then being stressed after spending so much.. cant wait for the delivery..