FuelRunGod

Exclusive: Tata Nano Test Drive Report

The Nano has been launched today. As always, we bring to you yet another exclusive.

20090323_151344__ND34623.jpg

The Nano is a very cute expensive looking hatchback. We aren't complaining.

Exteriors

It is a proper car! Not an autorickshaw with a fourth wheel. The Nano is brilliantly styled and will turn heads everywhere you go. Not only because of the hype it has generated but because it genuinely looks good and can easily pass off as a more expensive hatchback. This is one cute looking hatchback and I won't be surprised if the urban crowd just buys it as a style statement.

20090323_151433__ND34621.jpg   Rear hatch is sealed. Christmas tree tail lamps similar to the Indica's.

The Nano is quite tall and if you park it next to an ML, you'd be surprised to see the matching rooflines. But this translates into good interior headroom (which is quite good by the way). Finished in Canary Yellow, the Nano pulled crowds wherever we went. On styling, I'd give it full marks. Build quality is surprisingly good as well. Panel gaps are even and are pretty good considering the price you pay.

Interiors

Open the doors and you're in for another surprise. There is lot of space in the cabin and it doesn't feel as low rent as I had expected it to be. The dashboard is finished as a single unit and there is no glovebox. Instead, the dashboard has a scoop running right across its width where you can store a lot of stuff. The instrument cluster is placed in the centre just like in the Spark. Instrumentation is quite basic. You get a speedometre with one tripmeter and a digital fuel gauge.

20090323_151528__ND35118.jpg  Dashboard quality decent, bits like vents feel cheap. Instrumentation is also basic.

We drove the top-end LX model and it gets front power windows, a power socket, air-conditioner, central locking and sunvisors as standard. The base Nano is a bare bones car. You don't even get sunvisors. Even the front passenger seat has a fixed backrest. The CX variant gets an aircon and some interior mouldings along with an adjustable front passenger seat.

20090323_151633__ND35130.jpg  Seats are comfy, but lack side support. Base model gets fixed front passenger backrest.

The seats themselves are quite comfortable and provide good underthigh support. But they lack side bolstering which means they let you slide during corners. Seats are placed high so entry and exit is very easy even for old folks. Even with the high seats, there is plenty of headroom. Legroom too is very good. The rear seats have more than adequate legroom even with the front seat set fully back. With the Nano, you will not be left wanting for space, that's for sure.

20090323_151716__ND35463.jpg

The gearbox shifts easily, better than the Indica's. Power window buttons hard to reach. 

The air-conditioner cooled the front decently, but was struggling to cool the rear in the sweltering heat. The 800 too had similar issues. The load on the engine by the AC wasn

At 1.23 lakh for a base model,the big question is nano worth it?

Maruti 800 base coming at 1.90 lakh on road,comparing with nano 800 has performance,800cc,proven vechile from years.I think spending 70k for a better brand & product the customers won't think much.Nano is no where with 800 in terms of quality.I better say its a kids car better then a family car.

800 still leads.
FuelRunGod2009-03-23 15:37:55

Booking amount 95,000/- and not 70,000 as reported earlier

Price to hold good for 1st 1 lac cars.

Top end may cost around 1.75 lacs

Base model about 1,12,500/= ex. showroom in Pant nagar

I think booking amount is too high, 70K would have been much better

That's a tough call, but I'd go with the Nano. It is far more affordable than the 800 and it is also more modern design considering the safety aspect. It is far more spacious than the 800 as well. Yeah, I'd pick the Nano.

FRG

Booking amount 95' date='000/- and not 70,000 as reported earlier

[/quote']

Prices and booking amounts are given at the end of the review. Booking amount is Rs 2,999.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-03-23 15:42:13

800 dead now .....even maruti thinks so ...as it had already announced it will compete with nano with alto, not 800........

but again who will open the the eyes of people closed since 30 years with an adhesive called MARUTI

Excellent review FRG & superb timing!

This baby is sure a looker!

I think even the rich & famous might want to plonk one to make a statement apart from the masses on whom this car is solely targeted. This car confirms to "small is/can be beautiful" philosophy!

Packaging in terms of interiors, exteriors, drive, etc. is worth it. Specially the interior space is a big bonus.

This car might just set off a price war in the hatch segment! People are going to demand more for their money now on.

Finally, its a milestone in the history of India & Countries around the World are going to take notice of this & also start respecting Indian manufactured goods/technology.
BornFree2009-03-23 15:59:46

Booking amount 95' date='000/- and not 70,000 as reported earlier

[/quote']

Prices and booking amounts are given at the end of the review. Booking amount is Rs 2,999.

FRG

No. Booking amount is 95,000/- only. Customer will pay 2999 only if he takes a bank loan of full booking amount, and 2999 will be the interest and processing charges only till the time booking results are announced. After results, successful bidders may be asked to pay in full or seek a fresh loan.

This type of booking has happened earlier also.

Thanks FRG. Got a lot of info from your post.. The front seats of Nano looks similar to i10. Nano looks more i10'ish than A-star'ish

I got a question. How does the 12 inch wheels make the nano understeer and not oversteer? Got a wiki link or something?

Thanks FRG for the comprehensive review. I knew it was coming in a new thread by you! What Tata offers at the quoted prices is surely "More Car per Car".The bookings may generate waiting lists of upto four to five years I believe, going by the hype created and also followed in the post-launch period  by a real good car for the price.

What Tata offers at the quoted prices is surely "More Car per Car".

I beg to go a step further & say "Most car per car"!smiley20.gif

The amount of World Press Nano has generated is commendable, Indian repute Worldwide is set to rise.

From the review/TD, there's hardly any serious chink/flaw visible in the car.

I wish & hope Tata back it up in the A.S.S. department too & here's a chance for Tata to prove that they can/are able to launch niggle free vehicles. So, that people don't have to wait/think twice before buying their vehicle & are assured of quality.

Undeniably, cheers to Mr. Tata & his men for this accomplishment.

Tata should try & hold the price line of this car stationary in the future. Though they can move with the rate of inflation, but not overtake it as most manufacturers do when their products become popular.

Source: Economic Times  'Nearly 30 Million hits on Tata Motors Website'

QUOTE: "MUMBAI: Who will buy the Tata Nano? If online polls are an indication, a bulk of the buyers are unlikely to be the

gr8 review FRG, you did it again and knew you are coming with this one. Kudos to tata to finally keeping their words and getting out people's car in reality,though with the hype created and waiting might be outbroken to swifts,dzires now, still i would love to wait and see with more improvements added in it and then think to get one as is the history with TATA vehicles where first new vehicles always gets some additions,improvements after feedbacks then rolls out better and perfect versions.But hatts off to Mr.Ratan Tata.

Do you know: While Vijay Mallya (think Royal Challengers) broke even at the first IPL season itself, Nano will take five to six years to break even.. Support automotives

Nano 2.55: Ratan Tata says the 1lakh price tag is protected only for first 1lakh Nanos. Nanos delivery will begin by July 2009.

Nano 3.10: Nano bookings will begin on April 09th and will be open till April 23rd

Nano 3.20: No price revision for bookings happening between April 09th and April 23rd

Nano 3.20: You can book Nano at 30000 booking centres across India.

Nano 3.30: The minimum down payment for Nano would be Rs 2,999. The first one lakh applicants would be allotted the cars randomly and they would not be given any interest on their booking money. However Tata Motors would pay 8.5 per cent interest to applicants who don

Good and quick review FRG, and does this car feel that its cheapest car in the world with quality and finish or is it good??..

Well i knew that this time tata will deliver good product but FRG is it good coz its 1lac car or in real sense its good??..

And for this achivement, i want to say just one thing,

HATS OFF TO RATAN TATA, i am his fan from long time,

I SALUTE YOU MR.TATA, he said in 2008 that after launch he will retire from the company but he is the only man who brought Tata's to such a great height especially Tata Motors, now its obviously a famous company in the Globe..