sanzgod

6th Gear!! Benifit or Junk?

Hey guys!!

Earlier there were bikes with 2 gear, then came 4 gear. then came 5 gear & now 6 gear. frankly speaking, we dnt need(rather use) a 6th gear. right!!

what so special about the 6th gear? smiley15.gif

Is that a Benefit or a Junk to attract?

sanzz

6th gear is great. My bike kicks in after 4000 rpm. At 120 its doing 7500 and only 2000 more revs till red line. If it had a 6th gear then that would have been great.   

I did not know about 2 gear bike. I know that earlier Two wheelers (Bajaj Scooters and M50, M80) used to have 3 gears. But Motorcycles have 4 gears from initial stage (Hero Honda CD 100 Deluxe/SS, Suzuki Max100,etc.)

Please tell more about 2 gear bike.

EDIT: Sorry forgot about this topic 6th gear.

Mostly If a vehicle has more gears, the top end gets enhanced in better way.

But seldom happens that the top gear decreases the top end performance (I mean to say speed here).Example some vehicles have 5 gears. The top speed is reached in 4th and if shifted to 5th the speed gets reduced in some bikes.

If a vehicle has more gears, the higher you go, the lesser the engine gets strained at high speeds.

sudeepd2009-04-07 14:41:27

I did not know about 2 gear bike. I know that earlier Two wheelers (Bajaj Scooters and M50' date=' M80) used to have 3 gears. But Motorcycles have 4 gears from initial stage (Hero Honda CD 100 Deluxe/SS, Suzuki Max100,etc.)
Please tell more about 2 gear bike.

EDIT: Sorry forgot about this topic 6th gear.
         Mostly If a vehicle has more gears, the top end gets enhanced in better way.
 But seldom happens that the top gear decreases the top end performance (I mean to say speed here).Example some vehicles have 5 gears. The top speed is reached in 4th and if shifted to 5th the speed gets reduced in some bikes.

If a vehicle has more gears, the higher you go, the lesser the engine gets strained at high speeds.
[/quote']

Hero Puch is a 2 gear vehicle. i used it in my college days.....
sanzgod2009-04-08 10:11:19

Guys it is a very important gear however it is highly technical dunno if it can be explained so expansively here.

In short if the bike generates large amount of torque and has only 4 gears the bike will run at a higher RPM in the 4th gear determental to the FE of the bike, further increase wear and tear on a high revving bike and there will be huge amount of torque but less top speed.

In this case additional 2 more gears will spread the torque possibily evenly in all gears, however the character of the bike here can be modified for it to have explosive pickup and strong mid range and weaker top range lesser FE strictly going by gearing here, or ok pick up fair mid range and a strong top range i.e. top speed a little improvement on FE over the above

Hence gearing is all that makes any vehicle the way it is described in test drives.

If you don't see much difference in the speed of a bike in 5 & 6 gears is ok but check the torque the difference is easily feelable. More over the 6 gear is a over drive you will get lower RPM hence higher FE and is meant for long distance cruising. The 5th gear is usually where you get VMAX.

anijog2009-04-08 14:34:08

I dont think if the 6th gear is really a piece of JUNK.

See there is a simple concept of gear reduction..

The more gears are introduced..less will be the final reduced RPM and thus less crank shaft has to reciprocate.. and when the RPM goes low u can very well understand the FE goes high..

No doubt it decreases the power at that very moment,but certainly it increases the efficiency.

but, in cities like mumbai, delhi, bangalore, hyd..... which are highly populated & traffic is more - there are very less chances we use 6th gear - Am i right!!! so whr do we use the 6th gear?? it will be useful only on highways where there is limited traffic & so we can zipp away with a good speed...

even with 4th gear bike we can get a good mileage.... if taken care of few things....
sanzgod2009-04-09 10:05:27

but' date=' in cities like mumbai, delhi, bangalore, hyd..... which are highly populated & traffic is more - there are very less chances we use 6th gear - Am i right!!! so whr do we use the 6th gear?? it will be useful only on highways where there is limited traffic & so we can zipp away with a good speed...

even with 4th gear bike we can get a good mileage.... if taken care of few things....
[/quote']

In that case we require only one gear!! we don't require the 4th too.

You cannot go changing gear boxes for each occassion so guess you live with it, if you have a 6 speed and riding in the city you made the wrong choice.

It depends upon usage. If you are going to use the bike in tight city traffic alone, then you need not even have 5 speed. If you take it ti highways sometimes, and also like to cruise, then 6 speed comes handy. It strains the engine less and results in more FE, as long as you are in free traffic or highway.

Guys it is a very important gear however it is highly technical dunno if it can be explained so expansively here.
In short if the bike generates large amount of torque and has only 4 gears the bike will run at a higher RPM in the 4th gear determental to the FE of the bike' date=' further increase wear and tear on a high revving bike and there will be huge amount of torque but less top speed.
In this case additional 2 more gears will spread the torque possibily evenly in all gears, however the character of the bike here can be modified for it to have explosive pickup and strong mid range and weaker top range lesser FE strictly going by gearing here, or ok pick up fair mid range and a strong top range i.e. top speed a little improvement on FE over the above
Hence gearing is all that makes any vehicle the way it is described in test drives.
If you don't see much difference in the speed of a bike in 5 & 6 gears is ok but check the torque the difference is easily feelable. More over the 6 gear is a over drive you will get lower RPM hence higher FE and is meant for long distance cruising. The 5th gear is usually where you get VMAX.
[/quote']

Realy very good knowledge about gear. Realy I dont know the exact reason for providing gear. 

Thanks dude

@Manish Kientic and Activa HAVE gears, only thing is they are not manual, they are CVT i.e. constant variable transmission, were the gears are changed with a moving belt drive as per throttle position on a cone designed gear assembly.

@Manish Kientic and Activa HAVE gears' date=' only thing is they are not manual, they are CVT i.e. constant variable transmission, were the gears are changed with a moving belt drive as per throttle position on a cone designed gear assembly.[/quote']

One more question, By providing gear in vehicle or by not providing gear what are the benifits? 

Advantages of geared bikes:

1) More mileage

2) Better handling

3) Better Power management, can cut some gears and zoom ahead, which is not possible in gearless.

4) less cost of ownership