sujith3120

Dzire VS Logan real time comparison.

As many of you know, I own a dzire VDI and have already done about 12700kms in about 10 months.

My dad recently purchased a Logan DLE { he is based in Coimbatore, whereas I'm based at Bangalore}. We went for a trip to tirupati in both the cars and I would like to share the differences and some facts which are not based on hardcore specs, but rather more about how a every day driver would feel.

Trip details:-

Dzire:-

Bangalore--Krishnagiri--vellore--tirupati--Bangalore.

Logan:-

Coimbatore-Krishnagiri--vellore--tirupati--Bangalore--coimbatore.

The logan was being driven by a driver, whereas I choose to drive my dzire.

The dzire had done about 12500kms and so i sort of knew in and out of the car. It handles very well, I have reached a top speed of 165kmph more than 5-6 times now.

But what is clearly not good is the way the car responds when you start braking slowly when you are at 120-130kmph+ speeds..the front wheel sort of wobbles and the steering shudders a bit. I'm not sure if this is a problem or if its a general issue with swifts. I have been told that if you change the tyres it may be better. I have the stock tyres and do not intend to change them until i cross 35000kms atleast, which is what normally anybody does.

1) The logan has a better ride and small potholes are bad roads do not filter thru to the passengers as in the swift.

Also, when I was doing 120-130 kmph speeds, the logan was clearly able to keep up with me in the dzire. H/ever, when you slow down due to traffic and then i was easily able to pull ahead, whereas the logan did not have the initial response.

2) When it comes to seating, i feel that the logan's rear seats are better for anyone to climb in and get out, whereas the same cannot be said of the dzire. But the front seats and driving positon is clearly better in the swift and the seats also feel more sturdy compared to that of the logan.

3) Gear shifts--The dzire's gear shift is more precise, very sporty. The knob itself feels very good. But when you shift the gears, you need to make an effort. The logan's gear shift is rather very easy, but vague..feels like the indica's gear shift, not very precise.

4) The engine bay in the logan is very neatly spaced out, whereas the dzire's engine is very cramped. resulting in a lot of heat generation when compared to the logan.

5) The steering of the logan feels very tight, whereas the dzire's steering is very easy on you.

6) Mileage--I pushed my dzire really hard, touched 165kmph, so i was no where driving in economy mode..so i just got 15kmpl, whereas the logan driven more conservatively got something like 18-19kmpl!

Overall, I feel both the cars are quite good, there are some compromises you need to make in each, like in every other car. But the logan is rather very EXPENSIVE!

I bought my dzire VDI in June 2008 for about 6.59lacs OTR bangalore. My dad bought the basic DLE logan for 6.15 lacs OTR coimbatore, after a 50,000 rs discount!

As many of you know, the road taxes are very high in Bangalore , so a similar model costs atleast 20,000lesser in tamilnadu! The dzire LDI costs only about 6 lakhs OTR coimbatore, so without the 50k discount, the logan is atleast 60-70k more expensive than its equivalent variant of the dzire! We actually went for the logan as the dzire's waiting period was more than 6 months!

You see the logan is got more space and rides well, but its overshadowed by the dzire's features, 1.3MJD and better interiors etc, so the logan cannot command such a premium over the dzire!

But my Dad is happy with the logan..he does not need outright power and needs better mileage and also it is decently built. I just hope that he does not land up with huge service bills!

Nice comparo Sujith!

Dzire is sportier while Logan is comfortable.

Logan was designed keeping developing markets in mind, so the tough/heavy build quality, good ride & spacious interiors.

What needs to be seen is Logan's servicing/maintenance costs, as I've heard that its on the higher side!

If I were to pick one out of the two, Dzire would be my choice till Renault gives Logan a decent face lift.

I have some bad bits about the logan which u missed..

1) you can open the trunk by the keys only

2) P window buttons are not on the door but at center

3) Wipers work in opposite direction.

The 1st problem is very irritating for me as i have to switch off the engine everytime i enter a mall, as the security guy wants to check my trunk and i need to hand over the keys to him.

I have some bad bits about the logan which u missed..

1) you can open the trunk by the keys only

You can fit a remote boot release in the logan - please check with your dealer.

@Sujith - Interesting comparison - from the horses mount so to speak. To touch upon a couple of things - The logan Diesel is priced high - it needs to come down atleast 50 K. The next time you are doing a long drive, do try your hands at the logan and post from the other perspective.

My 2 cents - the logan shines on long drives. I find the seating position so comfortable that I can ignore the minor irritants such as the wierd location of the power window switches and the LHD type wiper (if these are corrected and the price reduced, I'd buy another one in a jiffy).dtandon2009-04-26 21:17:02

thanks speed and dtandon..

@dtandon, i did drive the logan for a short while, may be about 100-150kms, so had a fair idea about the car's performance. The logan is a pretty decent car, but they need to come down on their price and match the dzire! the indigo MJD is gonna be out in 2-3 months and that will be even cheaper than the dzire..so if logan does not revise their pricing and upgrade certain features like standard internal boot release, standard internally adjustable ORVMS etc, renault can forget the logan!

The logan does manage to do a couple of things better than the Indigo/Dzire.

Better built/fewer rattles (it does have rattle issues with the door catchers but they are a one time fix)

Better ride (tyres being similar). Throw in a boot full of luggage and 5 adults and it still rides well.

And it is the only one that seats three on the rear seat in absolute comfort.

Its a car that doesn't appeal to everyone - only when one wants absolute practicality will the Logan fit the bill.

logan virtues are-indeed very spacious,good ride thats it....

swift dzire virtues are-better interiors,good handling,responsive engine,more equipments and hence better vfm !!!!

i just want sujith comments on which car's a/c cooling is better ???? is it of logan due to a bigger engine than swift dzire ????/

logan's wiper irritates me when they operate....they are opposite to what's the usual...when i test drove the logan i was constantly switching on the wiper's even though i want to give a turn indicator...thats irritating !!!!

for me dzire is a better car than logan !!!

mehul_bhp2009-04-29 19:13:17

@mehul bhp, i have a feeling that the dzire's a.c cooling is better as the inside space is lesser than that of the logan.

yeah you are right, all the controls like a.c adjustments, indicators, wipers are all in the wrong side, like eurpoean cars..which is very irritating..also there is only one indicator signal in the display..so for first time users you cannot make out which side's indicator's you have turned on..i think this is the same even in the palio..whts the big deal about having two different indicator displays??

overall the dzire is a much better car and more VFM! My dad too wanted to buy the dzire, but the waiting period was more than 6 months, so had to purchase the logan..but i think he likes it better bcoz of the space..

FEW DIFFERANCE BTW LOGAN AND DZIRE R...

LOGAN IS FOR 5 ON BOARD ...

DZIRE FOR 4 ON BOARD ..

LOGAN FOR RELAXED DRIVER ..(which should be encouraged for better economy and help save planet ..LAST WEEK TEMP IN JALGAON REACHED 50 DEGREES)....

DZIRE FOR ENTHUSIAST..( WHICH SHOLD BE DISCOURAGED )...

LOGAN FOR 10 YEARS ...BUILD QUALITY , AND ALL PURPOSE CAR ..

DZIRE FOR 5 YEAR ...USE IT , RACE IT , THROW IT , ...NOT AS STURDY AS LOGAN ...

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST ...

LOGAN ...PROPER SEDAN...INFACT MORE THAN THAT..

DZIRE ...SWIFT WITH A BOOT .

FEW DIFFERANCE BTW LOGAN AND DZIRE R...

LOGAN IS FOR 5 ON BOARD ...
DZIRE FOR 4 ON BOARD ..

LOGAN FOR RELAXED DRIVER ..(which should be encouraged for better economy and help save planet ..LAST WEEK TEMP IN JALGAON REACHED 50 DEGREES)....
DZIRE FOR ENTHUSIAST..( WHICH SHOLD BE DISCOURAGED )...

LOGAN FOR 10 YEARS ...BUILD QUALITY ' date=' AND ALL PURPOSE CAR ..
DZIRE FOR 5 YEAR ...USE IT , RACE IT , THROW IT , ...NOT AS STURDY AS LOGAN ...

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST ...

LOGAN ...PROPER SEDAN...INFACT MORE THAN THAT..

DZIRE ...SWIFT WITH A BOOT .[/quote']

Dzire is a proper 3 seater itsel, though not as spacious as logan.

Dzire has better interior and build quality than Logan. When even an 800 can run or more than 20 years? why not a Dzire.

By the way, I would like to mention that, Renault cars are not reputed or their reliability.

Renault in France is like Tata in India!!!!! smiley36.gif
carispassion2009-05-03 06:46:55

Well i dont think that Renault is like tata in France, they make pretty good cars like Megane, etc...

And Logan's build quality is better than Dzire..

To me i will choose Logan against Dzire because its spacious, rides better but looks better than Dzire atleast a proper sedan...I hate Logan's interiors and those PW buttons on centre console but still between the 2 my pick is Logan but if i have a option i would wait for Indigo vista or go for Ikon diesel instead of these 2..Except some A.s.s issues, Ikon is much better than both of these..

But nice comparision Sujith...

logan is a car for middle aged men(above 35 years)...in that age group majority buyers arent concerned about performance while swift dzire is for young buyers....my dad is a big fan of the logan....once in a while me and my dad debate which is the better car...logan or dzire !!!!

If you see which is a poper car, i'd say Logan. It is spacious, has best ride, FE, adequate power(not flat out pickup), strong build , etc..

Swift can be selected as a car for youth. But not Dzire. If you really enjoy driving, go for Ikon in that segment. Dzire with its narrow tyres and softened rear suspension with added weight at the back, will not handle well. Logan would be definitely better on this aspect, if you can live with body lean. Logan is more like a sturdy car and cross winds aren't a matter for it at high speeds.

If you know how to drive, then power is not a matter, unless if you intend to take it to drag race smiley2.gif .

But i agree Logan has its own disadvantages. First its price is high, poor quality interiors, lacks fit and finish, bad ergonomics and high service costs. These drawbacks will play an important role in people opting for Dzire.

anyone buying a diesel sedan in the range of 6-7 lakhs have a choice of the dzire, logan and the "new" ikon,ut but the sales numbers of all the three will tell you what the people are opting for..i agree, the dzire has its drawbacks, but as an overall package it works better than the logan and the ikon..the logan is just too expensive, at atleast 60k more than the dzire..the ikon even though cheaper is not as good..i would prefer the logan anyday over the ikon..a great engine is not enough..the ikon's reputation is so bad that you will have a hard time selling it!!

yeah logan is quiet expensive....their base model shouldn't be priced more than 5.75 lacs....at 6.5 lacs its simply too expensive...but if the price of dzire/logan/ikon are same than i think it will be the end of ikon !!!!

caripson

who told u renault's reliability is poor ..dude how can u forget renault is the team that broke the ferrari's continuos winning in f1 ...u r calling a f1 champion ..manufacturer of poor reliability cars

also ..u said it right ..u can use 800 for 20years then why not dzire ...but dear those who have used 800 for 20 or even 10 years ask then what they must have gone through in those 10 years ...atleast in last half of their ownership ....

abt build and interior ...every thing that shines is not gold ...u believe it or not dzire had cheaper build quality then 10 year old santro which is half of its price...

and also plz dont lol at tata ...this is the only company which is true indian company ..and think first of the indians then the profit....they give u what they charge for...not like maruti which always think for their share in the market and profit ..and for this they even went to the extent of making cars like a-star...    smiley36.gif

yes tata give more car per car but the spare parts need to be changed so frequently so that in the end it's less car per car...rishi you cant compare maruti with tata...one is a manufacturer of reliable cars while the other manufactures troublesome cars to say the least !!!!

well renault's reliabilty is quiet good and its the best amongst the german manufacturers !!!!

mehul ..

I THINK MARUTI IS NO MORE AN INDIAN COMPANY ..GOVERNMENT HAS SOLD ALL OR MAJORITY OF ITS STAKE IN MARUTI ..I THINK LAST YEAR OR SO...NOW ITS COMPLETELY A JAPANESE COMPANY ...SUZUKI RETAINED MARUTI NAME TO KEEP ON EXPLOITING MAURUTI'S BRAND VALUE ...AND INDIANS BLIND FAITH ON MARUTI ....rishi-del2009-05-12 18:08:05

well the so called "blind faith" has been earned by maruti-suzuki....they make supremely reliable cars and thats the reward for it and have cheaply priced spare parts and excellent a.s.s. !!!

mehul ..can u explain me what u mean by supremely reliable cars...

i own a hyundai since 4 years and just go to workshop oncw in 18 months ...and no problem has occured even as small as dying bettery , fused bulb...so even any other car is as reliable as a maruti ..if not more ..

u wont believe but my friend bought an esteem two years back ..and till now ..he got battery problem , failed power window switches , choked ac fan ...

now which one is more relible ...

and also can u expalin what is great a.s.s ...

do u know hyundai doesnot chagre a single rupee for free services ..but maruti carges some amount ...even in free services ....now u decide who is more ethical ...afterall a free service should be free service ..

Dear rishi, I feel instead of putting the word "for maruti lovers"!! At the end of your every post, you could put "i am putting this post to irritate every people who have a brain, and who use it!!".

We are not hardcore Maruti lovers; but you are a HARD CORE MARUTI HATER!! I like many of the cars, which are reliable, and value for money etc, like Marutis, Hyundai's etc. Hyundai's are having very good interiors these days, when compared to maruti. You are absolutely right. But that doesn't mean that all the Maruti's are not reliable!

Most of the maruti cars are criticised for rattling problems. For instance, take the case of swift vs Getz.. But the fact is that, i have seen many Getz cars, which used to rattle very badly; and which have reliability problems like clutch plate worning out very prematurely etc . But people tend to miss there realities, since the number of Getz we see are very less when compared to swift.

Also, regarding reliability, last year's survey on european cars revealed that, best reliable are toyota, honda etc; then followed by hyundai, suzuki etc, which come in the second best group. The worst reliable cars were fiat's, Renault's etc. So friend, you must admit, winning F1 races doesn't always mean that, they make the most reliable cars in the world!! :):):)    

YA mehul. each and every post of rishi del confirms us that he is a hardcore maruti hatersmiley22.gifsmiley15.gif.and rishi, you told that Tata is a true Indian company!!! so what happened to Mahindra. they didnt and still dont make Scorpio's and Xylo's from their Mahindra-Renault partnership, but manufacture it themselves and even before the Mahindra-Renault contract was made, the scorpio was a hit.smiley20.gif so whatever way u look at , mahindra, inspite of being an indian auto entreprenuer like tata, makes better cars with better build quality than tata cars. look at sudeepd and the problems he is facing in this Tata Indigo XL.!smiley23.gifsmiley5.gif!! here comes the greatest question..... reliabilitysmiley31.gif......... where Maruti Suzuki truly shines and no one can say that maruti cars are not reliable and need to visit frequent service stations.....then it would never had won J.D.PowerAsia Pacific India Appeal survey in customer satisfaction since 2001 and still is the kingsmiley32.gifsmiley36.gif!!!! and regarding Hyundai, its midsize segment car Accent is old school and cant match Petrol Dzire's performance and efficiencysmiley36.gif. even the Hyundai Verna is facing steep competitions from Ford Fiesta TDCi and New Honda City. Only successful cars in Hyundai stable are Santro xing, i10,i20,Getz(though CRDi is flop due to its highprice), Verna(initially got good response, but now sales are sliding down).

Flops: Hyundai Accent(outdated and hightime needs replacement, launched in 1999)smiley11.gif smiley26.gif, Hyundai Elantra(production stopped as it couldnt compete with Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic(the segment  leader)smiley8.gifsmiley21.gif!!), Hyundai Sonata Transform(couldnt "transform"smiley23.gif itself to beat the legendary king of the D-segment, Honda Accord!!),Hyundai Tuscon(looks so awkward, cramped and lowest selling in its segment)!!! So, you cant deny these facts rite!!!!!!!!