afterburner

Top 5 problems with our traffic

What are the 5 main reasons why our traffic slows to a crawl ?

1)Cars not parked close to the kerb or double parked - this chokes the road, providing for a cardiac arrest like situation.

2)Constant merging of traffic from 3 lanes to 2 and back - you have to slow down and wait for the car ahead

3)Taxis and Ricks - no explanation needed

4)pedestrain encroachment - people walking on our roads, even when the footpath is free

you tell me

-Encroachments by dhabas, buildings, rehris, houses, etc. on both sides of the roads, which narrow down the already narrow roads further.

-Traffic police, their mismanagement is such that wherever they are placed, traffic chaos, jam, takes place.

-Replacement of roundabouts with traffic lights has lead to long ques/jams.

-Ill planned developement, thin roads.

-No indications, no proper use of glow signs.

-Excessive VVIP movement.

-Poor condition of roads.

Today I witnessed an incident a bus driver taking out his ire on a taxi parked in his path when the signal was green, he reduced speed to a crawl and went behind and gave the taxi a gentle tap on the bumper and stopped, the taxi driver was out and also vented his ire the bus driver with his high perch didn't budge, finally the taxi had to move. I drive by impulse these day's; and the body language of the guy in front say's a lot <what his indicator's may not say>. Haven't ever folded the OVRM's ever, there are great asset, in our traffic especially while reversing and turning, I never strain my neck, but use all three rear view mirror's to judge while reversing and parking. "On our road's be prepared to be surprised".Durango Dude2009-05-06 12:18:43

All problems that have been talked about here emanate from one problem. Complete lack of sense on the part of road users. Period. Nothing else need be discussed.

Apart from the problems as mentioned above, I feel below problems are main culprits for the "Slow Movement of Traffic"

(1) The "Bus Stops" everywhere in Mumbai (I don't know about other cities) are situated either immediately before the signals or after the signals. So The buses move towards the "Bus Stops" or move out from "Bus Stops" hampering the normal movement of traffic.

(2) The "Bus Stops" are made on the road only and funny thing is that atelast two to three buses are in one after the another so when Bus stops at the "Bus Stop" entire road of the width and length of atleast three buses gets blocked.

(3) Roads near the Signals are ill maintained. The road are not scientifically made considering the traffic during the peak hours, weight of the vehicles etc... so at the place where smooth movement of vehicles is required there only the vehicles have to break to move from the big pot holes resulting into slow traffic movements.

(4) U-Truns at every nooks and corners made by selfish people who only think their own comforts and profits (shop, hotel, mall owners etc...)

(5) Unplanned and no long term thinking in the Development : Some time it is very frustating to think that our hard earned money paid as tax is getting wasted as many time whenever just after the new road is built it is being again dugged either for installing telephone lines, repair of sweage or pipeline and even after the work is completed no one is bothered to make it proper as before.

(6) Lack of knowledge and diciplin of all i.e. (car owners, rikshaws, taxis, buses, pedestrians) is also very big reason for slow movement as I have observed that people who wants to go in the left lane they keep them selves on the extreme right of the road and in the last moment they try to go left side. Even the rikshaws do the same they act as robots of the passenger, immediately when passenger give them instruction to either go right or left without looking anywher they turn to either of the sides.

(7) There is also a very big issue in terms of people who Governs these things. It seems that they are employed just for the sake of employing and gives us feeling that they must not even have driven vehicles once in their life time. Since they don't know how to make and put the road signs or they don't know how to plan the road design which requires proper study of bylanes, junctions, no of left right turns etc... ,

(8) Lack of knowledge of Traffic Police. The traffic police seems to be directly transferred from villages as the purpose of the traffic police is not served. Instead of being strickt on the people they some time creat trouble by stopping vehicle 'ON THE ROAD' only and ask useless questions.

The above list will keep increasing and I will keep posting the same.

Have a safe Drive !

the latest issue in delhi is the BRT.smiley7.gif

before where there used to be 4 lanes on one side , the same has been reduced to two. a couple of days back , a car broke down and the result : single lane. there was a kilometre long jam.

the buses ply in the middle. so to facilitate people crossing at the bus stops , we have additional red lights !

and for the pedestrians , we have two lanes on the left  !

only if the govt had done their homework well. instead of blindly aping some developed countries idea.

the BRT at chirag delhi which used to be a 5 mins breeze now takes an average of 20/25 minutes.

and they are still planning to go ahead with the rest of the project.

god save delhi motorists !

Ziz zaging two wheel drivers are a big nuisence.

Me first, I am in a hurry or I am VIP attitude of all drivers.

Complete democracy on roads meaning 'everybody is free to do what ever he likes.' Rules be damned.

1. Less road developement due to bad politics smiley7.gif

2. Driving attitude & lane discipline smiley3.gif

3. Bad traffic control smiley12.gif

4. Special traffic blocking for VIP's smiley11.gif

5. Less rural development causing more peoples in one city smiley18.gif

1. Less road developement due to bad politics smiley7.gif

2. Driving attitude & lane discipline smiley3.gif

3. Bad traffic control smiley12.gif

4. Special traffic blocking for VIP's smiley11.gif

5. Less rural development causing more peoples in one city smiley18.gif

I second rkrk. In India, we have to check the road surface, as well as traffic to keep going.

GOD!!! you have opened a CAN OF WORMS this tread will go on and on!! Please don't make the forum a punching bag to vent your frustration, it is a universal phenomena in our country.....PERIOD!!

Tejasmehta, some really good  stuff.

Think we can compile a list of our woes and send it forward to people who are in charge

Every can of worms needs to be opened !!!!

And we can get it published in news papers as well - spread the word

Apart from the problems as mentioned above' date=' I feel below problems are main culprits for the "Slow Movement of Traffic"

(1) The "Bus Stops" everywhere in Mumbai (I don't know about other cities) are situated either immediately before the signals or after the signals. So The buses move towards the "Bus Stops" or move out from "Bus Stops" hampering the normal movement of traffic.

(2) The "Bus Stops" are made on the road only and funny thing is that atelast two to three buses are in one after the another so when Bus stops at the "Bus Stop" entire road of the width and length of atleast three buses gets blocked.

(3) Roads near the Signals are ill maintained. The road are not scientifically made considering the traffic during the peak hours, weight of the vehicles etc... so at the place where smooth movement of vehicles is required there only the vehicles have to break to move from the big pot holes resulting into slow traffic movements.

(4) U-Truns at every nooks and corners made by selfish people who only think their own comforts and profits (shop, hotel, mall owners etc...)

(5) Unplanned and no long term thinking in the Development : Some time it is very frustating to think that our hard earned money paid as tax is getting wasted as many time whenever just after the new road is built it is being again dugged either for installing telephone lines, repair of sweage or pipeline and even after the work is completed no one is bothered to make it proper as before.

(6) Lack of knowledge and diciplin of all i.e. (car owners, rikshaws, taxis, buses, pedestrians) is also very big reason for slow movement as I have observed that people who wants to go in the left lane they keep them selves on the extreme right of the road and in the last moment they try to go left side. Even the rikshaws do the same they act as robots of the passenger, immediately when passenger give them instruction to either go right or left without looking anywher they turn to either of the sides.

(7) There is also a very big issue in terms of people who Governs these things. It seems that they are employed just for the sake of employing and gives us feeling that they must not even have driven vehicles once in their life time. Since they don't know how to make and put the road signs or they don't know how to plan the road design which requires proper study of bylanes, junctions, no of left right turns etc... ,

(8) Lack of knowledge of Traffic Police. The traffic police seems to be directly transferred from villages as the purpose of the traffic police is not served. Instead of being strickt on the people they some time creat trouble by stopping vehicle 'ON THE ROAD' only and ask useless questions.

The above list will keep increasing and I will keep posting the same.

Have a safe Drive ! [/quote']

This should be sent to the concerned officials. At least this one should teach them something.

1. cycle rickshaws-they are human powered and they are slow and jam the traffic while moving at 5-10 kmph....they jump in front of fast cars in process doing stunts which will even humble james bond and micheal schumacher..they are a big menace and the only solution is to keep blowing horn from behind !!!

2. elderly people and women- their are  many elderly people driving really very slow....well its understandable their driving slow but it gets a bit frustating....and the ladies they are a big distraction...i have observed many ladies driving on roads and almost majority of them dont know where they want 2 go and hold on to lanes as if their husbands own that lane !!!

3. some extremely fuel efficiency conscious people-their are some people who drive slow and block traffic hoping that by driving like this their car will return 20 kmpl..i mean its pathetic they never manage to get that much mileage and block the traffic..sadly the solution is to keep blowing d horn !!!!

4. pedestrians- when will the pedestrians learn how to cross roads ??? they will walk anywhere except on the zebra crossing !!!! its also largely due to the uneducated worker class coming from bihar who perhaps think that delhi is just like bihar !!!!

In my colony people park their cars right on the sidewalk. Its kind of good that they are doing that, so cars can travel through the streets but do the have to park the car right on the sidewalk. I mean they could park on side on the road while the other half is in the sidewalk.  

1. Parking - Its a mess as none of the buildings have parking space.

2. Bus stops and the way the bus stops here in Cochin - Bang in the middle of the road without any warning. Almost all bus stops are on curves and major junctions.

3. Two wheelers and three wheelers - They have no patience and no regard to traffic rules. Piaggio Ape - I need to meet the guy who designed this !

4. Pedestrians - Need to know they are walking on the road and not on the varanda of their houses.

5. Roads - need to have lane markings, reflectors and better surfaces.   

the biggest threats i have seen on roads are female drivers...well not all but most of them!

Just few days back sum auntie drivin her honda city n talkin to a frnd seated nxt to her changed lanes to avoid a pot hole n in da process she totaly ignored dat my car was jst behind her in da next lane....she almost brushed my front bumper!!jst imagine a bike instead of my car...she wud have crushed him..n move on without realising it!!!